Norvasc. Quick BP question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norvasc. Quick BP question!

After my bp scare and subsequent cardiologist appointment, I am now a lab rat trying to figure out which meds work best for me. I started with 40mg of lisinopril. This didn't get me quite where I need to be, so the cardiologist added 5mg of Bystolic, which has made me feel like poopy caca for 2 weeks. He now wants me to try norvasc 2.5mg. Are any of you on this medicine? Pros? Cons? This is in addition to the 40mg lisinopril. Thanks for your help!

No help, but that's why they call it a medical practice. They practice on you and me !

Comment

Amazing that a buncha beer drinkin', red meat eatin' good ol' boys have such good blood pressure!!!

Comment

I got put on irbesartan (actually its a mixture of irbesartan and another medication) ..felt a bunch better after being on lisinopril

Comment

I didn't feel bad on lisinopril alone. Bystolic is a beta blocker and I started feeling bad when they started me on it. From what I understand, lisinopril is a pretty mild medicine relatively speaking.

Comment

Was on lisinopril and Dr took me off and put me on nifedipene. Works great. Feelin much better

Comment

Norvasc is pretty harmless the one main complaint that some see are swelling in the legs and feet, that's the major side effect, shouldn't make you feel bad, may or may not work for your bp, some people just got to find the right combo of meds

Comment

Norvasc is a calcium channel blocker and basically is working from a different direction than the lisinopril is. I wouldn't say lisinopril is necessarily "mild" per se, just depends on patient and how they react to it. Tons of folks are on it and overall, it is a good medication.

2.5mg of Norvasc is a very low dose, so if your blood pressure doesn't change much, they can increase that accordingly if need be. Typically the only thing that people complain about with it is the leg swelling (as mentioned above) due water retention. This can vary from one patient to the next as well and can also depend on how much you are on your feet during the day, but typically comes with no adverse effects.

Bystolic can definitely cause that crappy feeling though, especially the first couple weeks you are on it. Not only is it lowering your blood pressure, but it will also lower your heart rate, which is where that "drug down" feeling comes from if your body is used to the heart pumping at a higher rate.

Comment

Bystolic took my heart rate from 75ish to 65ish, but it seemed like my bp readings were actually higher for the 2 weeks I was on it. I did not take my bystolic this morning per dr instruction and have felt substantially better. Kinda apprehensive about introducing a new drug to my system, but I guess I'd better!

Comment

I am currently on Bystolic and can attest to the crappy feeling. I am also taking Chlorthalidone at the same time.

Comment

Thought I'd take a minute to follow up. Norvasc is working very well in addition to the Lisinopril. I put off taking it for a few days and started Sunday morning with my first dose. Day 4 and I haven't had a BP reading over 120/80 in 2 days. Knock on wood, I think this stuff is working! Kind of an adjustment after apparently being hypertensive for awhile, but I feel much better!

Comment

Working...
                      X