Started My Flatbed Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
    Just a thought but now might be a good time to think about separating the DEF and fuel fillers to avoid accidentally adding DEF to your fuel tank
    Don't have to, its a HEMI!

Comment

Will be watching. Nice to have extra hands!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
        Got my first question for you. Do you guys integrate the factory fuel filler neck of us aftermarket ones?
        On my flatbed. Looks like they made it longer by cutting it and sliding a bigger hose over JT and hose clamped it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I tried to get some pics loaded, but the wife took my phone charger today and my phone ran out of juice before I could get some updated pictures. I took some of what we started with today, but I will have to get more tomorrow of how we ended up.

Just to tease, we did get most of the cross supports in and mounted the fenders. But, I only tacked one fender in and forgot to weld it in, so I hope it holds until I get back to school.

Comment

Got enough of a charge to upload what pictures I did get, but it was too dark to go take more.

Here is the front mount. The grade 5 bolt is just for mock up because the hole on the driver side of the frame is smaller than the passenger side so my 5/8" grade 8 wouldn't fit. Had to settle for a 9/16" grade 5 for today.

Rear mounts using factory receiver hitch mounting bolts and new grade 8 nuts.

Here is the last pic I got before the phone pooped out. Got the cross braces in and the fenders mocked up. Still have a long way to go.

Comment

I know I need another cross bar behind the axel, but do you guys think I need another one in the front? Its a 24" gap, so would that be too far? If I put another one in there it would be a 12" center, which seems too close to me, but is 24" too far?

Comment

The couple I built were 12" on center with 3" channel.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                  The couple I built were 12" on center with 3" channel.
                  Oh, well, I hope 16" isn't too far because that rear brace is already welded in. I will go back and add the one in the front.

Comment

New pics of today's progress. The air compressor went down so we couldn't cut the bed sides. So, we welded in the braces and the rub rail to stabilize the fenders and check their fit. Then we added the hitch and began working on the rear. Just hope we can get it all done and painted by Show Time.

Still have a lot of bracing to do, build the tool boxes, doors, sides, cut the floor, build the headache rack, and then finish weld everything in and clean up all the welds. Then its Got to be cleaned and prepped for paint, then wired for lights. Whew!!! Got a long way to go.

Comment

Looking good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that's look nice

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                          Oh, well, I hope 16" isn't too far because that rear brace is already welded in. I will go back and add the one in the front.
                          Bet your fine. These were for landscape trucks so they needed to be over engineered.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                            Bet your fine. These were for landscape trucks so they needed to be over engineered.
                            Yeah, most I'm gonna haul is a 4-wheeler, some feed, or a couple lick tubs.

Do production beds use 1/8" floor plate or 14g? Thinnest I could get was 1/8", but I don't think I would have wanted to go thinner.
                            Last edited by Bucksaw; 09-16-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Looking good man, I think you are about par with the 1/8". Looks like it's going very well. Are you going to leave the fenders solid like they are or will you trim some of the inside edge off? You guys might need to build a flatbed for a '12 dodge next year...

Comment

I haven't decided on the fenders yet. Just seems like such a shame to cut them all off because they run about $25 each. But, I can see them building up with mud and stuff during hunting season.

For the right price, we can hook you up.

Comment

Working...
                                X