Need some Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some Advise

Need some advise on an issue so for you guys or gals that own your own business or a manger position chime in please. Or if you have this experience.

So the company I work for has 6 locations and at our location we have 4 employees. Manager, Inside sales, inside sales/ warehouse, and an out side sales guy.

2 years ago we had to fire the outside guy do to his extensive usage of pills. So the new guy came in and has done ok untill i had customers stating they didnt know we had as out side person or that they dont ever see him.. in the last 2 days he has been spotted at different places. 1st my wife seen him at the local waly world at 3pm when he was supposed to be on an 8hr round trip sales trip.
    2nd a customer came in and mentioned that he had seen him on tuesday around 2 pm at another store when he was due in new mexico for the day.

I talked to the other inside sales person about it as she and i have a good friend ship and she knows and lives accross from the guy and said she has noticed it as well as her husband that at times he is home by 430 when she gets there or around 2 when her husband stops in for lunch.

This is not an everyday occurrence just when he is due to go out some where. The lady said she is afraid of loosing her job if she speaks up but i ****** both of us off as the last outside guys did some what of the same crap .

So my question is should i bring this up to the manager as I know he really has no clue and could prolly careless or should I just for get about it

If i bring it to his attention what would be a good way of coming about it ?

mind you the guys is on salary as myself and the lady are hourly.

sorry for the long read and help would be greatly appreciated

Why do you think the manager wouldn't care? Managers are paid to care.

Comment

If he is not doing the job he is being paid for, I would think that the manager would want to know. If I was his manager, I would sure as heck want to know.

The way that I would approach it as an employee would be to let the manager know that the customers are saying they haven't seen him, and that one of them saw him in town when he was supposed to be seeing other customers.
      Last edited by Quackedup; 02-08-2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
        Why do you think the manager wouldn't care? Managers are paid to care.
        My manager is really a push over hes a good guy dont get me wrong but we kinda get the feeling that with him its out site out mind kinda thing,

Comment

Originally posted by Quackedup View Post
          If he is not doing the job he is being paid for, I would think that the manager would want to know. If I was his manager, I would sure as heck want to know.

The way that I would approach it as an employee would be to let the manager know that the customers are saying they haven't seen him, and that one of them saw him in town when he was supposed to be seeing other customers.
          we do see it this way but we also fee this could cause some issues and eventually end in worst case one of loosing our job for speaking up..

Comment

I have no problem with going to him I speak my mind as it is just dont want to sound as if it jealousy due to the fact i applied for the position when it was open and was turned down and i also dont want to seem like jerk

Comment

Manager needs to know...when it comes to business and money nobody is a snitch. I see it as looking out for the best interest of the company.

I always stress that to my guys (even my customers) if they feel someone isn't carrying their weight or doing the job they were hired to do that I want to know about it.

Comment

If he has been doing this for long, and the manager doesn't already know, then he's not much of a manager. Speaking as either a foreman, an owner, or a consultant for the past 35 years, bosses are paid to not only manage, but KNOW what's going on with the help.

My employees never knew when I might show up, or check on them. It was my job to do so, and it just keeps them honest.

Comment

As a manager, I'd want to know. But my response would depend on what kind of understanding I had with the outside sales guy. A lot of outside sales guys feel like they have a lot of freedom as long as they are getting the job done and I'm ok with that. Now if he's not getting the job done, then there's a problem. I wouldn't use your information alone to address the issue, in fact, I wouldn't bring it up at all. I'd do my own due diligence and get my own evidence, so that when I addressed the issue with him, I would hope to be able to correct the issue and not cause any turmoil in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck assasin View Post
                    My manager is really a push over hes a good guy dont get me wrong but we kinda get the feeling that with him its out site out mind kinda thing,
                    Well if customers are noticing then he's messing with YOUR livelihood. If the customer brings things to your attention and nothing is done about it, then they could rightfully assume that nobody cares and go elsewhere. Push overs have zero business managing. It runs 180 degrees from what they should be doing, which is guiding employees in a way that puts the company in the best position to profit.

Comment

What would be your motivation for bringing it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Buck assasin View Post
                        we do see it this way but we also fee this could cause some issues and eventually end in worst case one of loosing our job for speaking up..
                        I understand that. If you are concerned about the ramifications, then just sit back and let nature take its course. Usually someone screwing off on the job will be found out sometime or another. It is just a waiting game.

Comment

Yeah, that's the managers job to figure that out IMO, not for you to tell him. Plus if he is salary and is getting his job done in less hours than others that's their problem not his. If Im salary and can do my job in 20 hours a week and someone else needs 50, tough titties.

Comment

if it is jealousy or anger or trying to enforce the rules, which doesn't sound like your job, I'd look at myself first.
                            in speaking your truth you shouldn't worry about how it will seem, just make sure your truth is carefully considered and clear.
                            If you care about the success of the company or think it could affect you by affecting the success of the company, then I'd say there's a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                              Yeah, that's the managers job to figure that out IMO, not for you to tell him. Plus if he is salary and is getting his job done in less hours than others that's their problem not his. If Im salary and can do my job in 20 hours a week and someone else needs 50, tough titties.
                              He said customers were saying they didn't know the company even had an outside sales person, so that's doubtful.

Comment

Working...
                              X