Yoakum Dunes WMA Mule Deer Hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoakum Dunes WMA Mule Deer Hunt?

Ok, I was looking thru the draw hunt catalog on-line, 1 each permit for 1 each Mule Deer Buck Only. Ok, are you kidding me.........on 14000 acres. What's the point? Can anyone explain this? Why not more permits? Why not more deer?

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
    Ok, I was looking thru the draw hunt catalog on-line, 1 each permit for 1 each Mule Deer Buck Only. Ok, are you kidding me.........on 14000 acres. What's the point? Can anyone explain this? Why not more permits? Why not more deer?
    Last year, it was not an open to the public WMA. It seems to be a former trophy mule deer management ranch. Maybe there is some deal with the former owner. I guarantee you someone is shooting those deer.

Comment

One among us made that hunt last year, perhaps he can shed some light on the subject.

I believe they ran two hunts on it last year.

Comment

I stand corrected there is a Management Youth Hunt, 1 youth hunt and 1 permit. 2 each mule deer either sex. But you still must be kidding me. This place has to be the safest place in America for Mule deer to live.........just kidding, being a little sarcastic.

Comment

Quality

There were actually at least 2 permits last year, 1 went to the winner of the Big Game hunt. An over 200" mulie was taken.

Comment

last years buck was a monster

Comment

I did a little reading and it is a relatively new park that leans to conservation of the lesser prairie-chicken.

Comment

This isn't a typical craigslist deer lease where everyone thinks they have to tag out. It's a trophy mule deer ranch. On a ranch that size you wouldn't shoot more than 2-3 trophies anyway to keep it in check. Culls and does? Yes. But I doubt the state wants guys out there pressuring the herd to shoot those. They likely have a deal set up with someone. I could be wrong on that part....

The member that went last year from TBH didn't shoot anything. But he seems to have gone on a lot of public hunts and not shot much. So there's that.

jk

Comment

last years

Comment

Some of y'all sure like your conspiracy theories lol

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                      Some of y'all sure like your conspiracy theories lol
                      Going off your past posts I assume you work for tpwd?

Comment

I was on the first hunt. The muley shown above was taken during the second hunt, the Big Time hunt. The hunts are both fully guided so only one permit per hunt.

Comment

The hunt i was on was prior to the rut. The Big time hunt is three weeks later during the rut. Apparently, three weeks makes a difference. I won't put in for the first hunt again, but I will for the Big Time hunt.

Comment

There's not a lot of groceries in the sand dunes. There are not deer behind every patch of sage brush. Like Matt said above, 14,000 in that country would probably only realistically produce 3-5 mature shooters per year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              There's not a lot of groceries in the sand dunes. There are not deer behind every patch of sage brush. Like Matt said above, 14,000 in that country would probably only realistically produce 3-5 mature shooters per year.
                              Yep. There were a lot of doe and cull bucks there. I saw one shooter, IMO, and the biologist couldn't tell if it was or not. I'll just stop right there on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X