No announcement yet.

Has a 243 ever let you down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The title of the sight kind of states that. Since I have been successful with my recovery efforts thus far I guess one could surmise that my shots aren't all that questionable. This is a game where you need to leverage every advantage you can to be successful. If you truly believe that it is better to carry a lesser rifle then it's hard to try and convince you that your logic is flawed. I am sure that people do loose deer from magnum calibers, but I can assure you that the numbers don't come close to matching when compared to the losses of pop guns. Since I predominantly bow hunt my shot decisions are greatly different from when carrying a rifle and should, but to handicap yourself with a smaller gun after spending and giving your sweat and treasure to obtain success makes absolutely zero sense to me, but hey to each his own!

Comment

Everything I have shot with a 243 100gr NP has died grave yard dead. This is all the way up to a 275lb boar.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
        The title of the sight kind of states that. Since I have been successful with my recovery efforts thus far I guess one could surmise that my shots aren't all that questionable. This is a game where you need to leverage every advantage you can to be successful. If you truly believe that it is better to carry a lesser rifle then it's hard to try and convince you that your logic is flawed. I am sure that people do loose deer from magnum calibers, but I can assure you that the numbers don't come close to matching when compared to the losses of pop guns. Since I predominantly bow hunt my shot decisions are greatly different from when carrying a rifle and should, but to handicap yourself with a smaller gun after spending and giving your sweat and treasure to obtain success makes absolutely zero sense to me, but hey to each his own!
        Haha your "pop gun" mentality cracks me up. I never stated one was better than the other. It was if the smaller gun was capable, which it is. I shoot probably an average of 15-20 deer a year sometimes much more, then ya have the other fellas I hunt with so let's say 60-70 deer a year. All with small calibers, 243 and down, and all but a handful, due to shooter error, fall right there. I'm not saying your magnum is a wrong or bad choice but neither is the choosing of a smaller caliber. They will all work if you do your part.

Comment

Caliber matters plain and simple.... that is shoot what ever caliber your confident in, choose bullets accordingly, and take the best shot placement possible.

Soft points are not always the best nor ballistic tips, and bonded all copper types. Match the bullet to your game hunt with what ever you practice with and practice often.

I personally like smaller calibers. I've personally seen more deer unrecoverd from 30-06-7mag than some of the lighter calibers, I often think people get to much Gun and flinch/pull the shot.

I hunt with a .260 my wife a .243 and my brother 7-08ai all the same case all totally different all kill deer,hogs,and coyotes.

To each their own.... But when this topic comes up remember we are bow hunters first... we shoot them with a stick and a sharp point moving 200-300 fps... most rifles anerage 2500-2900fps... seems to me the are all more than able..

Comment

.243 is a woman's caliber.

Comment

Never had a deer walk away from a .243 the rare times I choose to rifle hunt, it's with a remmy 700 243.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What other cartridges do you consider "pop gun"?

Comment

I've only killed one critter with it...

and it didn't let me down. One shot and he went maybe 25 yards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	24505966

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                    Haha your "pop gun" mentality cracks me up. I never stated one was better than the other. It was if the smaller gun was capable, which it is. I shoot probably an average of 15-20 deer a year sometimes much more, then ya have the other fellas I hunt with so let's say 60-70 deer a year. All with small calibers, 243 and down, and all but a handful, due to shooter error, fall right there. I'm not saying your magnum is a wrong or bad choice but neither is the choosing of a smaller caliber. They will all work if you do your part.
                    Look, you are either a hand on a high fence ranch or own one. If you want to carry a "pop gun" in the truck to ice doe out the window to keep you numbers in check go for it! If you loose one no big deal, but why chance it when going after what could be your best deer to date? As one of the guys said above a 243 is a woman's round.

Comment

If a 243 is a woman's round who's round is a 223 that the military uses on some of the ar platforms?

Comment

My 243 is collecting dust but it shoots three shot dime groups and has never let me down. My kids shoot my rifles. It is an FN Mauser and I love it. Waiting for Grand Children so I can pass it down.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                          If a 243 is a woman's round who's round is a 223 that the military uses on some of the ar platforms?

People are more fragile than deer. The 223 was introduced because it was cheaper to produce and lighter to carry than its sister M14 and her ammo. Before the Invasion of Iraq I was issued an M14 before we pushed across the pond and after seeing first-hand the difference, I carried that type of rifle through all 5 of my combat deployments. The 30 caliber effects on targets was devastating and a one-shot deal. The M4 shooting 52 grain green tip with a steel core penetrator took, on many occasions, several rounds to ground the target. When you speak of the many AR platforms that the military uses this caliber for, it is usually reserved for CQB or standard grunt issue type of thing. You will not find a long-range platform in the US Military that is not a 30 caliber. So, standard issue means outfitting the masses with the cheapest option available and the military is no different than any other government entity when it comes to saving money. When you get into Special Operations you are really able to tell the difference in weaponry when you are not a part of the masses any longer which really makes a difference in the lethality of a combat unit! Do you have any combat experience?
                          Last edited by Darton; 08-07-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                            .243 is a woman's caliber.
                            I find all women prefer Big Bore.

Comment

People are more fragile than deer. The 223 was introduced because it was cheaper to produce and lighter to carry than its sister M14 and her ammo. Before the Invasion of Iraq I was issued an M14 before we pushed across the pond and after seeing first-hand the difference, I carried that type of rifle through all 5 of my combat deployments. The 30 caliber effects on targets was devastating and a one-shot deal. The M4 shooting 52 grain green tip with a steel core penetrator took, on many occasions, several rounds to ground the target. When you speak of the many AR platforms that the military uses this caliber for, it is usually reserved for CQB or standard grunt issue type of thing. You will not find a long-range platform in the US Military that is not a 30 caliber. So, standard issue means outfitting the masses with the cheapest option available and the military is no different than any other government entity when it comes to saving money. When you get into Special Operations you are really able to tell the difference in weaponry when you are not a part of the masses any longer which really makes a difference in the lethality of a combat unit! Do you have any combat experience?

No combat experience here, but thanks for your service by the way.
                              And yes your statement makes a lot of sense especially when it comes down to drugged up towel heads spraying bullets from a AK I'm sure that 300 WM blows big holes.
                              I guess my point is, like everyone is stating shot placement is key.

Comment

My only problem years ago was bullet choice ballistic tip equals no blood trail went to good ole corlokts problem solved!

Comment

Working...
                                X