Thoughts On 1st Responders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
    Compensated how? By low pay, working on Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter/etc., putting our lives on the line or the lack of appreciation by those we're helping?

Like I said, I'm not for entitlement programs but if documentation is provided that we paid dearly while helping others I can't see where the abuse would happen.
    Did you know what your pay was going to be when you took the job?

Did you know that you were going to work holidays when you took the job?

Did you know that you were going to put your life on the line when you took the job?

Surely you knew that you would face some form of unappreciative attitudes?

What do we get??? Not sure what your schedule, pay, or pension looks like; but we get lots of time off (24 on/48 off), competitive pay, and an unbelievable pension.

That time off often allows me to do things that others could never dream of... I get to go to my daughters' in-school programs, get to spend a lot of time with them in the summers, allows me time to work side jobs for extra money, etc. Normal M-F/M-Sat workers could only hope for those opportunities. Are they asking for governmental (read: taxpayer) help?

Our pay is competitive. I'll never be rich; but with some wise financial choices, I'll never be in need, either...

Our pension is what most people would salivate over. Sure, they force us into investing wisely (13% of our gross pay goes straight into pension,) but it is well worth it in the end.

The bottom line is that you knew what you were getting in to before you took the job. It was just as much your decision to take the job as it was your department's to hire you. You get a lot of perks that others don't. It's all a matter of how you choose to view your situation...

Comment

Whining about a situation you got yourself into does not become a grown man. Your point is very clear. You like the gravy but not the lumps.

Comment

Compensated how? By low pay, working on Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter/etc., putting our lives on the line or the lack of appreciation by those we're helping?

Like I said, I'm not for entitlement programs but if documentation is provided that we paid dearly while helping others I can't see where the abuse would happen.
        Time for a career change?

You mentioned appreciation by those who were helped. I have no issues with some private group taking up a collection to help first responders out in a time of need. In your OP you spoke of the government stepping in.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from but where does it sart and stop? I know of several doctors nurses and other hospital employees that have not been home since Friday morning and can't get home. Don't forget correctional officer. Someone has to keep the bad guys locked up. Point is there are plenty of jobs that it is mandatory someone be there. At what point do you decide these do and those dont.?

Comment

Thoughts On 1st Responders

I thought my point was clear but evidently not.

So what you're implying is a "volunteer" was having his house flooded, his property destroyed & his families safety @ risk yet he looks @ his family & says "good luck, I'm leaving here to go help someone else in the exact same situation. I'm THAT devoted as a volunteer. Hope it works out for y'all!"

Yeah, that doesn't happen. Ever. Your hypothesis doesn't hold water. (see what I did there?)

Thanks for playing along!

I beg your pardon.

I Was that devoted as a Volunteer. For 18 yrs. I left my family anytime the pager went off. Sometimes for 16-24 hours.

Why are you so condescending towards Volunteers??

Is it because they don't do it for a paycheck and cushy retirement plan??

And yes, I have probably more training hours than you do. When I retired, I was Deputy Chief over ALL equipment, purchasing, and training officer.

Sure, there are a few Volunteers that just want to ride the woo-woo wagon...
            But the majority are professional and would leave their family behind.

Comment

I disagree. First responders aren't the only ones who still have to go to work and leave their families in bad times. I don't expect anyone to pay any of my expenses because my job won't let me get home. I picked my job

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                I beg your pardon.

I Was that devoted as a Volunteer. For 18 yrs. I left my family anytime the pager went off. Sometimes for 16-24 hours.

Why are you so condescending towards Volunteers??

Is it because they don't do it for a paycheck and cushy retirement plan??

And yes, I have probably more training hours than you do. When I retired, I was Deputy Chief over ALL equipment, purchasing, and training officer.

Sure, there are a few Volunteers that just want to ride the woo-woo wagon...
                But the majority are professional and would leave their family behind.
                I was absolutely not condescending towards volunteer FF's & you missed the point. I appreciate volunteer FF's as much as anyone. I was referring to a "volunteer", not a volunteer firefighter. The phrase volunteer firefighter was never said.

I'm not "whining" about what I chose to do & wouldn't change careers for anything. Like most threads on here, this one has taken a completely different direction than the original post. I haven't complained once about what I do. Pointing out situations & complaining are 2 different things. Reading comprehension is strongly lacking here. There's been so many accusations that it boggles the mind. Oh well, @ least it killed some time! Thanks to the 1 or 2 people who actually replied to the specific scenario.

Comment

I thought my point was clear but evidently not.
                  So what you're implying is a "volunteer" was having his house flooded, his property destroyed & his families safety @ risk yet he looks @ his family & says "good luck, I'm leaving here to go help someone else in the exact same situation. I'm THAT devoted as a volunteer. Hope it works out for y'all!"
                  Yeah, that doesn't happen. Ever. Your hypothesis doesn't hold water. (see what I did there?)
                  Thanks for playing along!
                  Wow bitter much?

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                    Wow bitter much?
                    Ha! Here, this should help:

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      I'm not a first responder.

I respect the hell out of what y'all do. Thank you.

My political philosophy involves incredibly limited government spending.
                      x2

Every time some program like this is put in place most of the money is wasted and what is given out is given to the wrong people.

Government needs to back out of near everything. Let people rely on family first, local community/church next.

I do not have an issue with armed forces already being paid moving into action to help. FTR

Comment

LFD2037 Im a LEO. Ill say this brother......you're venting is understood by many and you're speaking your mind is likely what we all feel when we have to leave during times like this. You just have to remember, you are appreciated more than you know. When i have to leave my family, when im on a call and its YOU that goes and rescues my wife and daughter......i cant even tell you how appreciative i am. I just cant put it into words. I know others appreciate me. When i start feeling like you're feeling, i just remember that I did take that oath. And when i took it i also knew id have to leave my family sometimes......and if something happens to mine.....i knew no one but me would be there to help pay deductibles but i also know someone here will be leaving their family to get power back to mine.....and im greatly appreciative to those men and women. It all comes around brother.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

LE for 23+ years, prior military also. I'm on the opposite side. In this job you know the risks more than most, and hopefully have the foresight to make additional preparations for those risks. Have places set up well in advance for family, have good insurance, have ample supplies for short notice emergencies. In exchange for my service I expect the monetary compensation I knew I was getting into, and the job satisfaction. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

All of us that got into LE or FR knew what is expected from us in times of need and the only compensation we're going to get is from the Lord when our time is up down here.

Comment

To all of you that are FF, LEO, first responders, thank you for what you do ! You are appreciated way more than you realize. Real heroes put others before themselves. Thank all of you .

Comment

. I'm a 1st responder (FF/Medic) & I feel like in times like these, where we have to abandon our own families & the well-being of our own homes, that the government should step in & help us put all the pieces back together.

Everyone appreciates what 1st responders do.

But you sir are wrong when you said we have to abandon our families.....

Everyone has a choice to make. to help not to help. you do not HAVE TO do anything. if your choice is to help dont be complaining about not get special compensation. Do it because its the.right thing to do.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                                X