New Chainsaw Consideration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Chainsaw Consideration

I had some trees fall in my yard and decided to buy a chainsaw of my own rather than borrow anymore. Im buying new to forego the common issues that I experience when borrowing. So, Im looking at 3 different Stihls. All are 18" bars. My question to decide is to go light weight, or more powerful. Granted, the lightest one is 9.5 lbs, and the heaviest is 10.8. The big one is 3hp, the small one is 2.3hp. given these differences, which would you choose?

Looking at the MS211, MS250, and MS251 if anyone wants to look up the other specs.

More power is what I would get

Comment

We have a 250 and 251 and I use both religiously and do not have problems with either. I’ll pull the big one out when I need some extra.

Comment

How big are the trees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have the MS250 with electric start assist. Thing has been work every penny. I bought it 10 years ago and its still cranks up 3rd light and easy pull.

Comment

Can't speak about those models, but I love my MS271

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
              How big are the trees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              One is already cut up, but the other is pretty big. Im mainly gonna use it for the limbs, which are 8-10" in some parts. I also want to make sure I dont short myself in the future though.

Comment

Always go bigger than what you thing you’ll need. For example, no man ever said they wished their tractor was smaller,

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                  Always go bigger than what you thing you’ll need. For example, no man ever said they wished their tractor was smaller,
                  I agree with your logic, but when you are talking about hefting a chainsaw all day at different angles, sometimes lighter is better.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't buy one that comes with a carburetor that needs to be replaced every 2 years. Can be very frustrating. Research the heck out of the model you choose. How do the guys who have had one for 3-4-5 years like them?

I think it used to be that any Stihl chainsaw was about as good as you could get. Now you have to spend a certain amount to get to that point. Below a certain price, good luck & get familiar with changing the carb.

Comment

If i remember correctly, the 250 weight was 10.3lbs with fuel. Anything bigger jumped up to the 13lb range and heavier. The 250 can also run a 24" bar if you need it for a large project.

Comment

Always go bigger. I have two saws.

MS 291 with a 20" bar and a ms170 with a 12". I wish I would have gotten a MS391 for that 20" bar. The best advice I can give you is to ONLY use premixed ethanol free fuel. Ethanol is the biggest enemy to small engines.
                        Last edited by Arrowthreat; 05-22-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                          If i remember correctly, the 250 weight was 10.3lbs with fuel. Anything bigger jumped up to the 13lb range and heavier. The 250 can also run a 24" bar if you need it for a large project.
                          Stihl's specs show 16"-18". That may be just what it comes with, so I dont know if it will run a 24" or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                            Stihl's specs show 16"-18". That may be just what it comes with, so I dont know if it will run a 24" or not.
                            I have never needed anything that big so I cannot confirm that either. That is just what the 19 yr old sales kid said at Ace Hardware when I bought it. Probably 100% not true but that was not a factor of me purchasing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                              I had some trees fall in my yard and decided to buy a chainsaw of my own rather than borrow anymore. Im buying new to forego the common issues that I experience when borrowing. So, Im looking at 3 different Stihls. All are 18" bars. My question to decide is to go light weight, or more powerful. Granted, the lightest one is 9.5 lbs, and the heaviest is 10.8. The big one is 3hp, the small one is 2.3hp. given these differences, which would you choose?

Looking at the MS211, MS250, and MS251 if anyone wants to look up the other specs.
                              It all depends on bar length. The MS250 and MS251 will run the 18" bar better than the MS211. I think the best all in one saw is the MS271 Farm Boss.

I have an 021 with a 14" bar, 023 with a 16" bar and 2 310s with 20" bars. I only grab the 310's when I have a trunk to cut up. I reach for the 021 or 023 when I'm just cutting up limbs these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X