Electricians - Frisco - replacing breaker question / help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricians - Frisco - replacing breaker question / help needed

We are selling our house in Frisco, have a potential buyer that had an inspection done Monday. Aside from the usual little cosmetic things, he noted that the breaker for the A/C unit was a 45amp rather than a 40amp that the system called for. We just had the inside and outside units replaced two years ago, I assume the 45amp was the original, and the new unit just needed 40amp breaker that the installer did not replace.
    I’ve replaced outlet boxes and stuff like that, but messing with the breaker box is outside my comfort zone.
    Anyone here that can swap out breakers?
    Or does it really need to be done?

Thanks,

Dave

AC breakers are allowed to be sized up to the next larger amperage...

Comment

So on the unit, does it say “Max fuse/breaker size- 40A”?

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
        AC breakers are allowed to be sized up to the next larger amperage...
        This and breakers are sized for the wire not what the unit draws. Changing a breaker is extremely simple. 10 minutes and a Youtube video is all you need if you haven't done it before.

1. Shut off main
        2. Remove panel cover
        3. Remove old breaker
        4. Unscrew wires
        5. Install wires into new breaker
        6. Install new breaker
        7. Replace panel cover
        8. Turn main back on.

I've found that a lot of inspectors don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
          This and breakers are sized for the wire not what the unit draws. Changing a breaker is extremely simple. 10 minutes and a Youtube video is all you need if you haven't done it before.

1. Shut off main
          2. Remove panel cover
          3. Remove old breaker
          4. Unscrew wires
          6. Install new breaker
          7. Replace panel cover
          8. Turn main back on.

I've found that a lot of inspectors don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.
          I’m not an electrician, but I have access to the googles...the above is easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

1. Shut off main
            2. Remove panel cover
            3. Remove old breaker
            4. Unscrew wires
            6. Install new breaker
            7. Replace panel cover
            8. Turn main back on.

On motor loads such as an AC unit, the breaker is not sized for the wire. For example, you can have #10 on a 50 amp breaker. The unit will have a “max breaker size” listed. That is what you install.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdShot View Post
              We are selling our house in Frisco, have a potential buyer that had an inspection done Monday. Aside from the usual little cosmetic things, he noted that the breaker for the A/C unit was a 45amp rather than a 40amp that the system called for. We just had the inside and outside units replaced two years ago, I assume the 45amp was the original, and the new unit just needed 40amp breaker that the installer did not replace.
              I’ve replaced outlet boxes and stuff like that, but messing with the breaker box is outside my comfort zone.
              Anyone here that can swap out breakers?
              Or does it really need to be done?

Thanks,

Dave
              I’m in Frisco, if you need help, give me a PM. It’s really easy if you’ve don’t a couple.

Comment

Yes the tag on the Trane unit says 40amp max.

Shines - will send you a PM soon.
                Attached Files

Comment

Then to meet code, you need a 40 amp breaker. If I was closer I would help you swap it out.

Comment

What??!! Moving??

Where you going Dave?

Comment

Swapping the breaker is so easy that once you see how easy it is, you will feel silly for asking. Google or YouTube is your friend.

Or, if the ac company that installed your system is still around, I would call them up and ask them to take care of it since a proper ac installation should include a properly sized circuit protector.

Comment

I just finished selling my house. I had to have a breaker replaced as well for another reason. Make sure the paperwork doesnt say must be performed by a license and bonded electrician before doing anything yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by recar View Post
                          I just finished selling my house. I had to have a breaker replaced as well for another reason. Make sure the paperwork doesnt say must be performed by a license and bonded electrician before doing anything yourself.

This. Usually once it hits the inspection report you can’t do it. Up until that point you’re good to go. Stupid, but usually the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have a fusable disconnnect make sure they’re sized accordingly also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like sparkles ask is there a fuse or breaker outside by the unit? It could be a 40 there.

Also when I sold my house I had to have a gas pipe capped it had a valve and threaded nipple so I bought one twisted it on. The buyer demanded a envoice from a plumber.

Comment

Working...
                              X