Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #551
rbertman
Eight Point

Hunt In: san angelo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedenf View Post
I was in there at least once a week on weekends only. Parked by the same big hole. Ran into one guy, probably one of you guys, while I was on a tom I tried going after that was strutting in the parking lot. I saw no other vehicles there and stayed till 11 or so each day I went. Shot 2 or the 3 toms I saw while back there. Several gobbles spread out on the southern part.

Was just back there this past Sunday. Saw about 6 or so deer, 2 rabbits, tons of dove, and about 3 or 4 pheasant in a group.
where in the world did you see phesants at in twin buttes never seen any out there. did not know we had them in west texas lived here all my life
rbertman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #552
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
Shane you are welcome to hit me up some time. I still hunt my spot during the week even tho I have a couple ranches out of town I hunt now too.
Thanks. Just now saw your reply. I put in for one of the drawings because it said exotics. If I get drawn, I'll holler at you.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #553
jmedenf
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbertman View Post
where in the world did you see phesants at in twin buttes never seen any out there. did not know we had them in west texas lived here all my life
OK. Saw one again this afternoon while dove hunting at TBR. They are too slender to be a pheasant. I think they are road runners. Are these legal to shoot and are they even any good to eat? They look a little scrawny.
jmedenf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #554
rbertman
Eight Point

Talking beep beep

Quote:
OK. Saw one again this afternoon while dove hunting at TBR. They are too slender to be a pheasant. I think they are road runners. Are these legal to shoot and are they even any good to eat? They look a little scrawny.
not sure bud have never tried one or heard of anyone killing them or trying too the Wylee coyote liked them just never had much luck killing one either.lol !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #555
R Dubya
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Quote:
Wild Birds: All wild birds that migrate through or are indigenous to Texas, along with their plumage or other parts, eggs, nests and young are protected from harming, killing and/or possession by state and federal law except that European starlings, English sparrows, and feral pigeons may be killed at any time and their nests and eggs may be destroyed. A permit is not required to control grackles; cowbirds; yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty or Brewer's blackbirds; crows or magpies when these birds are considered a nuisance or causing a public health hazard. No birds may be controlled by any means considered illegal by local city or county ordinance.

I'm pretty sure GW would write a ticket if you shot one.
R Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #556
kermittxhunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: still looking

four days from opening of bow season anyone going to try their luck on opening weekend?
full moon high of 79 and a 40% chance of rain sounds like fun as long as i don't get locked in if it rains lol. 4 wheel drive is working but I'd rather not use it out there.

I'll be out in the back of area 4 across from 12 mile bridge Saturday evening and Sunday morning best of luck to everyone this year happy hunting.
kermittxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #557
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Hunt In: Realtree APG only!

Got a set up in area 4... But going to runnels county lease opening weekend, but will be in my set up through out the week all season long
JDVerfurth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #558
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermittxhunter View Post
four days from opening of bow season anyone going to try their luck on opening weekend?
full moon high of 79 and a 40% chance of rain sounds like fun as long as i don't get locked in if it rains lol. 4 wheel drive is working but I'd rather not use it out there.

I'll be out in the back of area 4 across from 12 mile bridge Saturday evening and Sunday morning best of luck to everyone this year happy hunting.
Are you going to be north or south of the highway near 12 mile?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #559
kermittxhunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: still looking

South side is area 4. But with all the rain san angelo got yesterday I didn't even attempt to get in there.
kermittxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #560
rbertman
Eight Point

has anyone done any hunting out there this year i heard they finally open the gates this wkend just wondering if anyone has done any good yet post some pics if so
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #561
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Anyone else hear those jer k offs going ape shi t in the 12 mile area?? Seriously who the h ell does that??? Literally, shot up the entire area with pistols and rifles for no apparent reason... Some people just have no clue how there stupidity can cause an entire evening to be screw ed... Dam I need a drink!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #562
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

Hey guys. Anyone know anything about a feeder and blind on the backside of area 4? And anyone had any dealings with the landowners bordering back there close to the dam?
Rut&Strut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #563
R Dubya
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut&Strut View Post
Hey guys. Anyone know anything about a feeder and blind on the backside of area 4? And anyone had any dealings with the landowners bordering back there close to the dam?
If your talking about the feeder and stand, I think you are, (close to FM2166) its been there for years. I only get out there once or twice per season, never seen anyone when I was passing by.
R Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #564
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

No sir, I'm talking about back by the big hayfield on one side close to the dam. I put the blind and feeder out this year. Went out to move them today, and they were gone. They would had to have had a ladder to get the feeder as well as some pretty stout bolt cutters or cordless grinder, so it wasn't a casual, opportunistic hunter. Not to mention they tore down a couple old, old stands nearby, which made me think neighboring landowner.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #565
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Been all around the lake pre-season never saw a blind and feeder set-up anywhere... The dam u speak of... Is it Gardeners or whites dam?.... When was the last time you were there?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #566
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

Whites. Last time I was there was opening day. Walked all the way in as I didn't relish getting stuck. So about 10 days ago. Set the feeder in there about a week before that.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #567
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Dam dude don't know what to tell ya... I wasn't back there around that time so I didn't see it or anyone jacking it... And distinctive things about it incase I run across it? Brand? size?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #568
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Who drives the F-250/F-350 white and tan with the four-wheeler that parks at the gate near 12-mile?? I see ur truck out there a lot but never you... Anyone on the green screen lay claim to my description?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #569
rbertman
Eight Point

hey check with the parks people i know last year they took all my buds stuff out of there and were pulling down all the old blinds from there too. i hope you find your stuff that really sux too have your **** stolen from you public land sucks at times
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #570
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

Will do. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #571
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDVerfurth View Post
Anyone else hear those jer k offs going ape shi t in the 12 mile area?? Seriously who the h ell does that??? Literally, shot up the entire area with pistols and rifles for no apparent reason... Some people just have no clue how there stupidity can cause an entire evening to be screw ed... Dam I need a drink!
Dove hunters?

Saw your truck on my way home tonight. You stick anything yet?
Okie in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #572
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Not dove hunters... it was clearly a pistol and a rifle... these people were going ape shi t the other night... drank it off.... typical San Angelo though.... yeah i got a great buck out at my lease in Runnels county... tried to upload a picture for you along with that map i told you about but I'm having issues uploading images for some reason... sent a message to the administrator to get it worked out... once we get the issue resolved i'll send you the pictures and that map.... The warmer weather is keeping the deer down longer.. not having any pictures during daylight hours... only after dark... anyone else having this issue at TBR?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #573
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

Killed a young buck opening day and saw four does at about 6:30 a week ago yesterday. Other than that only deer I've seen in daylight have been deer I've seen driving in. That rain gave them a lot of browse too, so even when I've seen deer around corn, they haven't stuck around long and don't eat much.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #574
Bootlegger
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: San Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbertman View Post
has anyone done any hunting out there this year i heard they finally open the gates this wkend just wondering if anyone has done any good yet post some pics if so
New to the Forum and hunting San Angelo, but went out into Area 1, saw some deer x4 in the mornging then went to Area 4 in the afternoon, saw 10 turkeys but couldn't get a shot, shot a good cull buck at about 1915, a little 4 point about 3 yrs old and saw about 7 more does and yearlings around 2000. Monday hunted area 4, saw only 4 doe and a yearling all day. someone was haulin butt through the area blasting music and yelling and carrying on and cutting brush for blinds. Made me quite angry that people do not have any kind of respect for others....
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #575
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Default Twin Buttes 8 pointer

Score and Age on this TBR 8 pointer?
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #576
rbertman
Eight Point

Quote:
Score and Age on this TBR 8 pointer?
looks like you having same luck as me deer and pigs eating at 1 am to 4 am almost every morning not 1 pic in afternoon or morning in state park
Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #577
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Yeah the earliest I'm got them in 5 minutes after dark... Not a single day time picture... Gotta love it.... However, I think once the cold gets here it will be a whole new ball game... At least that's my excuse....
Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #578
rbertman
Eight Point

Quote:
Yeah the earliest I'm got them in 5 minutes after dark... Not a single day time picture... Gotta love it.... However, I think once the cold gets here it will be a whole new ball game... At least that's my excuse....
yes that is what i am hoping for good luck to you
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #579
dgrant
Six Point

Hunt In: Paint Rock TX

I didnt think you were aloud set up blinds and feeders out there. I talk to the lady at the office the other day and she said no blinds or perminant feeders were aloud anyone have a decent map to show the units yall are talking about I think I am going to try and head that way next week for wedensday and thursday. Any good tips and warnings would be greatly appreciated.
dgrant is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #580
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

What lady at what office?....the state park, perhaps?(not sure on rules and regs of the state park)... But, Blinds and feeders are privilant throughout TWR hunting areas... If its not allowed then I guess it's kind of an unenforced issue... Grab you some sugar beet crush or some comere deer and head out to any of thr areas and find a decent fence line crossing and you see a lot of action at dawn and dusk... Area 5 is no-mans land and would be a great spot for some big bucks... Same with the back of area 4.... Area 1 is probably the most popular area so you might be stepping on someone's toes if your not careful.... Hit me up for a tour or some more info
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #581
dgrant
Six Point

JDV thanks for the info and for sure a show around would be awesome it was at the park office I wasnt aware they were two different parts. If I was to be down that direction next wedensday and thursday would you be free. Also in that area are atv or mules able to be used? One other thing is the same thing require as far as the 48 dollar permit required over there?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #582
dgrant
Six Point

Do yall have alot of problems with people stealing or damaging your equipment when left in the park?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #583
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Had a camera jacked back on April in area 4 of TBR... Don't know about the state PARK... Don't hunt out there
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #584
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

But I've had my blind, feeder, and cameras out since July and have only caught 3 people on camera but none of them messed with my stuff... Thank god
Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #585
rbertman
Eight Point

[QUOTE=JDVerfurth;6023324]But I've had my blind, feeder, and cameras out since July and have only caught 3 people on camera but none of them messed with my stuff... Thank god
Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #586
rbertman
Eight Point

well you cannot have feeders are permanent blinds in state park you have to hand feed there and broadcast it well so the longhorns do not eat it all and i have not had anything stolen in state park lot less traffic out there knock on wood
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #587
rbertman
Eight Point

how in the hell did that copy and repost under under my name very strange
Old 10-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #588
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

That is odd
Old 10-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #589
dgrant
Six Point

SanAngeloBowman Is there anyway you could give me a call when you get a chance I tried to PM you but dont have enough posts. 432-413-4134 David Thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #590
dgrant
Six Point

Well anyone doing any good? I think I will be headed down Wednesday thinking about bringing the mule and trying section 4 where's the best place to enter and which direction is the back that your talking JDV?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #591
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Up towards whites dam... Which is spring creek... If you look at a zone map.. It's the area where 4 and 3 meet all that area is great and accessible by a mule with ease....
Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #592
dgrant
Six Point

Cool thanks for the help man.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #593
dgrant
Six Point

Couple more questions. Are there some cabins close to stay in and what road is the best way to enter area 3 off of? Headed that way hopefully everything goes well.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #594
rbertman
Eight Point

closest cabins to stay in i think are in state park maybe some at koa camp grounds at nasworthy lake i am not sure about getting into area 3 i hunt at the state park good luck
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #595
dgrant
Six Point

We are doing the camping thing. It's is nice back in there we walked around and scared up 4 doe some big ones too. Hopefully we can get some in in the morning.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #596
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

At twin buttes there are no cabin facilities... However if your planning On doing some camping ur gonna need some tents... You'll have to have a hell of large clearance of a trailer that you don't might getting scratched up to get back to any decent camping spots... I can get to the back of area 3 up to whites dam in roughly 20 minutes... But your gonna get a stout truck and some balls to make it all the way back there... the best way to go back there is by going past the airport and going over the dam and book a right and follow the black top till it turns into the dirt road then basic head west till your at the dam... It's some rough country with some beat up roads and hairy spots...the other way around is some FM road that the decoty airport is on head down that road till it turns into a dirt road hang to the right and follow the fence line all the way to the dam... I suggest getting on google earth and looking at an actual aerial map to get your bearings and if you have a smart phone it should have the map app on it and you can get 3G pretty much all over the place out there... PM me if you need a tour guide
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #597
dgrant
Six Point

JDV thanks for the info we found it off that FM 2166 we are camping across from I guess it's whites dam. Extremely nice back in here haven't seen anything yet.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #598
dgrant
Six Point

Well we left last night around 8 we seen one doe and she was in a hurry so not a chance on her but we did manage to get a couple squirrels and seen a butt load of turkey. I apoligize if we wondered into anyone's feeding areas once we seen them we tried to leave and avoid that area we did find one bucket that looked like it hadn't been used in a while and was empty and filled it with corn so if you had an empty bucket there it's full now. Did see a huge scape about 5 ft in a tree right off the road going back into this pecan trees. Hope to be going back next weekend had alot of fun. Maybe next time I can meet up with some of you guys that hunt the place often. Where's the best place to find pigs around there?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #599
rbertman
Eight Point

there are quite a few in the san angelo state park got them on camera but have not seen any in daylight yet but have talk to hunters that have
Old 10-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #600
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Any monster bucks lerking out at the state park?... I posted previously my two targets from TBR they're not that monster-ish but would be **** good deer.... I would only assume that the state park held some giants... Anyone willing to post their trail-cams of monster state park bucks??