Disgusted!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disgusted!!

Had a disturbing event occur at LBJ this week. I was at one of favorite haunts to try and nail a longbeard. Of course he fires up where he usually does and had a great setup. After a couple of hens with him flew down and headed to private land I figured the gig was up. However, the bird held his ground in the tree as I coaxed him with a couple of tree yelps to let him know a lonely lady was still nearby. He cut me off. Five minutes later, I hear hen talk on the private land. A lot of it, and one of those jobs that you know can only be made by a human. Nonstop calling to the bird (still in the tree). Gobbling his head off. He finally flies down an HOUR later(7:45)!!! Two minutes later, 3 gunshots. I checked the guys out, no turkey(said they were shooting at coyotes). As my father and I were pulling out, we pass these guys back at their truck on the public land. Maybe it was all coincidence, but wouldn't you access private land from private land if you had permission. Let's just say, they didn't stay around long. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I've never seen anyone hunting that property in the seven years that I've hunted LBJ.

Did you get the license number? I would probably call the GW just in case.
    Jeff Young

Comment

couldn't get it due to them being parked behind a corner. I didn't want to carry the confrontation any farther for obvious reasons.

Comment

Yeah, I had an experience out there with a few people on public land myself, during deer season. I should have called the GW then, but didn't. Heard shots hitting the trees after they knew we where there (saw us walking around), in our direction until we yelled out a few choice words. But they made sure they keep shooting for an hour or so. I just laughed because I had already taken an 8 point from there a few weeks before. Have Gw number and sheriff's number in phone in case something happens next time.
        Last edited by switchback; 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Call the Sherriff and ask for the number to the LBJ Federal Ranger, his name is David Cadle. He will hammer them. There are actually 2 of them, Dave is the one I know. Usually the GW's don't patrol through there unless they are in the company of David. They absolutely have jurisdiction, but for some reason in 8 years of hunting out there, I have only seen them once and they were with David. The Sherriffs will not respond, but refer you to the Ranger or the GW.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Thanks,

Does anyone have those phone #'s offhand for future reference?

Comment

Phone #'s

Call the Wise County Sheriff's Office at (940) 627-5971. Ask them to contact the Forest Service Law Enforcement Officer. They will dispatch him or the local Game Warden.

During office hours, M-F 0800-1630, you can call the Caddo/LBJ District Office at (940) 627-5475.

Comment

I have it on my cell, as me and Dave had to call him once to bust a few guys corning an area that they took a buck from. We do not play around in the grasslands with anyone breaking the law, we will call him in a heart beat. If we can't bait, I swear on my fathers grave I will not let anyone else do it....LOL

Comment

I understand the trials and tribulations of hunting public land. But, this was blatant(or it seems that way) and it was very frustrating. Those of you that turkey hunt, know there's not any guarantees, but this turkey was ripe for the pickin'. Same with deer hunting. I don't deer hunt at LBJ, but can only imagine the same kind of things that go on.

Comment

I was talking to a guy a couple of seasons ago, and he was telling me that he shot a doe and a buck and couldn't find him and that he sees deer everytime he hunted so one day during the week i went out looking around and he had a hanging feeder and a hanging stand set up. Needless to say David was called.

Comment

It's unbelievable what lengths people will go to for an "advantage." Makes you wonder if they ever got spanked growing up.

Comment

What a shame.

Comment

what do you expect from these freaks of nature nowadays? their motto is me me me

Comment

I wouldn't call them freaks, I know a few other names I would call them. I have found several old feeders (pipe ones) that I have taken down and put a few more holes in them than they had before I was there and then I would call David. Last season I found a nice pipe feeder ( I never knew it was there) where I shot a deer. As I was dragging it out, I saw it tied to a tree. After putting the deer in my truck, I took the feeder down and placed it on the road. I told David about this and he marked it with his GPS that evening. I don't know if he found anyone hunting it or not but I know the hunter may have been mad.

Comment

Eradicator, I can certainly understand your frustrations, and everyone elses. I've a lot of storys I shall share by a campfire with everyone some day. In the mean time, I guess the storys will keep stacking up. At least you have a clear consiounse. The other guys will always be paranoid or there will be something floating in the back of thier minds some day. Monkeys on thier back. I have learned that I can expect anything to happen on public lands. So I try to watch my back too. But it does have it's rewards. We get our first by knowing we have done the right thing. Aquireing game is just the iceing on the cake.

Comment

Working...
                              X