Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
    No joke. I'm glad I did!!!!
    FYI the adult deer hunt is on a diffrent unit than the exotic hunt.

Comment

Training for the potential pack out[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone know if they'll let you use archery equipment? I know I drew the rifle hunt, but if I get something early on, I might want to switch to the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
          Does anyone know if they'll let you use archery equipment? I know I drew the rifle hunt, but if I get something early on, I might want to switch to the bow.
          Don't see why not. I know you can't use a rifle for archery season but you should be able to use a bow during the rifle season. Take it with you and ask when you get there.

Comment

I hunted there last year and another hunter had his bow. They tried to set him up on a place to get some close shots, but he never got a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by captainmike View Post
              I hunted there last year and another hunter had his bow. They tried to set him up on a place to get some close shots, but he never got a shot.
              If they allow it, I would take both.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                If they allow it, I would take both.
                That's what I'm thinking.

Comment

congrats! i was drawn for the first hunt in Jan. took 7 years of applying

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderingchef View Post

Sweet! I'll hit you up for a recap before I head out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderingchef View Post
                      I was drawn for Jan 26-29. Just wondering what kinda luck you had on your hunt? And do you have any advice?

Comment

I was there last year and killed 2, but one fell of the cliff onto another one that I could not get to. I took the skull cap from the other one and mounted the horns onto a flat rock and covered the skull with some deer leather I had.

1 - bring good boots, you will walk forever up and down the canyons all day.
                        2 - bring lots of water - no water on site.
                        3 - have a shooting stick - like everyone says, long shots. I killed one at 100 and the other at 225. I took some longer shots than that though.
                        4 - bring good glasses - it seemed they like to lay on the ledges where there is a point.
                        5 - if you see a few, chances are there are more with them and when you shoot, all heck breaks loose.
                        6 - download a map to your GPS or phone and make sure you know your section and it's boundaries
                        7 - get away from the road, I would walk at least a mile before I would start seeing animals.
                        8 - have fun, it is a once in a lifetime hunt, animals are plentiful

Comment

Thanks for the advice captain mike.

Comment

Working...
                          X