Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noise Reduction ? - thinking it's my arrow rest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise Reduction ? - thinking it's my arrow rest...

So I got my new (used) Reezen a few weeks back, and the darn thing is pretty loud on release. My SQ2 is much more quiet.

the Reezen has a QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD rest installed. (my SQ2 has the older model QAD ultra rest) I've checked and it doesn't seem to be hitting my riser on the drop during the shot. even so, i put some soft foam adhesive "weather stripping" to pad the rest when it drops.

this dampened the sound of the rest when i released it by hand w/ no arrow, but it didn't really help much w/ the noise when i shoot. i've got blazer vanes on my arrows so they are a little more challenging to make sure they get clearance, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. my arrow flight looks good too.

i'm wondering if the rest just isn't dropping fast enough as the arrow is leaving the string. that's about all i can think of. it's a nice rest (came w/ the used bow), and what i probably would have bought for it myself. I really don't want to run out and drop $125+ on another rest if this isn't the culprit.

Curious as to whether anyone else has had a similar issue, or has any other suggestions on "fixing" my problem? or suggestions on a different arrow rest? ....was thinking about the "DownForce" rest.

thanks.

No issues with mine, thankfully

Comment

I think you should change your rest. Trophy Taker. Xtreme FC Top Slot give it a shot. good luck.

Comment

Look at the rest. Look for any color (same as vanes) on the forks, or where the arrow sits. Dont know if thats the noise, but will tell if they is or was contact. You can also put lip stick on the lead edge of the vane and shoot it. Then check for marks.

Does the bow have cat whiskers, leaches, limb savers ?

Comment

i'll try the lipstick. it does kinda look like there is fletch contact near the base of the rest, but can't tell if it from previous use (since its used). I trimmed a little off the fletch of one of my older arrows and no change though, so not sure...

i may also back off the draw weight some. it's cranked pretty far down (68 lbs or so). It seems like when i was shooting it before i brought it home, there was noise. (bought from archery shop owner - shot and set up w/ new sights, etc before leaving.) then we twisted the nocks slightly to make sure was clearance and i thought it went away. I don't think i would have left w/ it being that loud, but i did have him crank it down late in the process and can't remember if i shot much after that.

really trying to avoid buying another rest if possible!

Comment

Could you possibly have problems with the QCCs? Any noise while drawing your bow?

Comment

Sometimes the high vanes will hit the top bar. That should leave some kind of mark on the vanes if it is. Trust me the rest drops fast enough at 340fps it still is out in plenty of time.

Comment

tried lipstick - vane clearance doesn't appear to be the issue.

what does QCC stand for? (sorry!)

I checked the "timing" mark on the QAD, and it was pretty close, but i adjusted it and now is pretty exact. ...then had to adjust my sights. that didn't do much either.

it's very strange and i can't really tell for certain where the noise is coming from. gonna have to let a friend listen and see if he can help. i think its the rest, but it could be something else too.

there's not any "extras" on the string for silencing. it's not a vibration type noise, it's more of a whack.

Comment

Originally posted by 3children View Post
                  Sometimes the high vanes will hit the top bar. That should leave some kind of mark on the vanes if it is. Trust me the rest drops fast enough at 340fps it still is out in plenty of time.
                  break off the top bar, i was spraying arrows left and right and hearing a noise.

broke it off and consistency problem disappeared!

Comment

Check every screw on the bow, sights and cams if any are loose tighten them. If some are loose and they were loosened by vibration use some fingernail polish or octite on the threads to keep them tight.

If you have an extra rest or can borrow one swap it out and shoot some, if the noise is still there then it is not the rest and swap back.

If it is the rest call QAD and explain to then what is going on and maybe they can help.

When i set my stuff up i video the bow in action and as i add stuff to it i can see where or what causes any grief.

I try to fix things without spending a bunch of money, so if all else fails get a new rest.

good luck

Comment

What kind of string suppresor do you have on your bow. I had the same kind of sound on my reezen 6.5 and I put a bowjax on the shaft and it quietened it down.

Comment

Is the 6.5 bows having issues with the cam slapping the string stop?

Comment

I would suggest what was mentioned earlier about checking all of the screws on the bow/sight/rest. Mine made some noise a while back, but I realized one of the screws in the sight had rattled loose. Tightened it up and fixed the problem. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jmiles95 View Post
                            tried lipstick - vane clearance doesn't appear to be the issue.

what does QCC stand for? (sorry!)

I checked the "timing" mark on the QAD, and it was pretty close, but i adjusted it and now is pretty exact. ...then had to adjust my sights. that didn't do much either.

it's very strange and i can't really tell for certain where the noise is coming from. gonna have to let a friend listen and see if he can help. i think its the rest, but it could be something else too.

there's not any "extras" on the string for silencing. it's not a vibration type noise, it's more of a whack.

Quick Cable Connects, the plastic things at the end of the axles on both ends. Slowly draw your bow, if you hear a squeak or a ticking, popping noise it is probably the QCCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Osceola View Post
                              Is the 6.5 bows having issues with the cam slapping the string stop?
                              i'm beginning to wonder if it's something in this area. Mine is a 7.0 though.

i checked all possible "loose screws", and no luck there. Also, no noise when drawing...just on release. either the string is hitting something, or it's the rest. The string stops by each cam press against the string (no gap), but i think that's normal. i took one of the rubber stops out, and it didn't have much effect.

i asked my wife to listen and she said it sounded to her like it was coming from the arrow rest area. i can't imagine it would be the cable guides, which are the only other things really in that "area". very frustrating.

oh well. i'll go back to the bow shop when i get time, but i was hoping to use it this w/e. as loud as it is right now, i'm leaning towards sticking w/ my "old bow" that is now my backup. sure wanted to use the new toy though!!
                              Last edited by jmiles95; 03-02-2010, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X