Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another fletching question

Didn't want to hijack Damon's thread but It reminded me of a question -

I have been to a couple shoots where I saw guys with the cock fletch "higher" on the arrow than the other two. The two were the standard inch or so from the nock, the other one was 2 or 3 inches from the nock. Looked odd, what is the reason for this? Is it the cheek thing?

There are a lot of mind games played at tourney's. Guy's do this kind of stuff just to try and get people off their game. There was a huge buzz afew years ago when a guy had all 3 set different.

Comment

The "theory" behind this is, You will achieve the same performance with a short vane as a longer vane, and still gain the advantage of lighter fletching. I have never tried or done any fact or fiction test on this so I cant give an oppionion on its effectiveness.

And yes, there are lots of mind games out there

Comment

I have seen that before and wondered myself..

Comment

Staggered vanes cause the arrow shaft to behave like a longer vane was used. It is a way of gaining more control over the shaft with less weight.

Comment

No problem Extreme, good question and this raises another question. My arrows aren't flying straight/true. they kinda have a fluttering motion to them, if that makes sense. I was thinking the fletching was hitting the cable or the riser, but no marks on the vanes. could it be the BH weight with 2" vanes ( I was shooting 4" vanes), 100 gr BH + 2"vanes= BAD set up for me???. Maybe I need to try a 85 gr BH. My draw length is 28" draw weight 68 lbs, Mathews Switchback XT.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon73 View Post
              No problem Extreme, good question and this raises another question. My arrows aren't flying straight/true. they kinda have a fluttering motion to them, if that makes sense. I was thinking the fletching was hitting the cable or the riser, but no marks on the vanes. could it be the BH weight with 2" vanes ( I was shooting 4" vanes), 100 gr BH + 2"vanes= BAD set up for me???. Maybe I need to try a 85 gr BH. My draw length is 28" draw weight 68 lbs, Mathews Switchback XT.
              What spine and length arrows?

Comment

Originally posted by JBS View Post
                Staggered vanes cause the arrow shaft to behave like a longer vane was used. It is a way of gaining more control over the shaft with less weight.
                Interesting, would've never thought of that. But is it legit?

Comment

Originally posted by JBS View Post
                  yup........ there was a big buzz about this a couple years ago. Some swear by it and others say it was all hype.

Comment

The guy's at Spott Hogg do a lot of testing on different things. When the staggered vane thing happened a few years back, they set up a Hooter Shooter and started testing. They concluded that staggering the vanes made no difference at all.

Comment

Thanks gents, guess I can put this one to rest. Didn't make any sense to me, but I'm not an expert either. I always figured vanes stabilized the arrow via surface area / skin friction so I didn't think placement would be that big of a deal, apparently not per the Hooter Shooter.

Comment

Working...
                      X