Japan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japan.

Well not a hunting related post but just curious to see some responses.
    I’ll be taking a trip to Japan in October, been wanting to go there since I was 14-15. I’m 24 now and finally am in the position to go! I’ll be over there for 8 days, going solo and just going to explore. I’ll be staying in the Tokyo area and taking a day trip to one of the western mountains. I already have a list of things I want to do and see but just curious if anybody on the green screen ever been? Anything a must see or a must do?

I have always wanted to go there myself. No must do ideas for ya but please share your experience when you get back.

Comment

It has been near 30 years since I was stationed in Japan. I spent most of my enlistment in the far east.
      Some of the things I remember was going to Osaka and seeing the Osaka Castle. shopping in the Kuromon Ichiba Market is/was cool

take the bullet train to Hiroshima and visit Peace Memorial Park and the Atomic Bomb Dome.

pretty cool park in Nara ( can't remember the name of it) but they have TONS of deer in there

Im sure there will be other things that pop into my mind later when I am not trying to remember.....ill post those thoughts later as they come to me

I'll try to omit the names of my favorite bath houses

Comment

I was in Yokosuka in the late 70’s for a few years I was stationed on the USS. Midway (CV-41) it is now a museum in San Diego Cali. HAHA

The place has changed a lot since I left ��
        It was a great learning experience for me then!!!

Good luck
        Ron

Comment

I know very little about it really, just bits and peices but there is a bar in Osaka called Bar Satoh. It is a bucket list place to try single malt scotch for me... if your in the area scope it out for me!

I think hiroshima monument would be a powerful exsperience

Comment

Originally posted by deerslayer94 View Post
            Well not a hunting related post but just curious to see some responses.
            I’ll be taking a trip to Japan in October, been wanting to go there since I was 14-15. I’m 24 now and finally am in the position to go! I’ll be over there for 8 days, going solo and just going to explore. I’ll be staying in the Tokyo area and taking a day trip to one of the western mountains. I already have a list of things I want to do and see but just curious if anybody on the green screen ever been? Anything a must see or a must do?
            I've been 6 times for work over the last decade for a total duration of almost 3 months. My most recent trip was this past April. I worked primarily around Osaka/Kobe but have done jobs in Ohi, Kagoshima, Hiroshima. Oddly I've spent little to no time in Tokyo. When we did get opportunities to sight see I took full advantage and to this day my favorite place in the whole world is Kyoto...I love the history, food and people. Japan is by far my favorite place to visit.

Enjoy your stay...8 days will go by fast but you'll love it! Don't sleep on the airplane if you can help it...try to stay away all the way until you get to your hotel and you'll be able to sleep a full night and right your body clock a little easier. The trip back will be when jet lag hits the hardest. Don't be afraid to stop ppl and ask for help/directions. People there are super polite and friendly and always willing to help as much as they can.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JonBoy; 08-15-2018, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Went last year to Japan. It's beautiful country and rich in history. One place you definitely want to check out is Nara Park in Osaka. It's an axis deer sanctuary. Kyoto is also worth checking out. Mount Fuji is another stop. Not sure you can climb the summit that time of year but it's cool as hell.

Comment

One day...

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman70 View Post
                  Went last year to Japan. It's beautiful country and rich in history. One place you definitely want to check out is Nara Park in Osaka. It's an axis deer sanctuary. Kyoto is also worth checking out. Mount Fuji is another stop. Not sure you can climb the summit that time of year but it's cool as hell.

Nara Park is Sika Deer, not Axis.

Kyoto was one of my favorite places in Japan, but’s it’s a hike from Tokyo.

I’ll check my notes out from my trip and get back with you. It was my first real international trip in my mid 20s and I loved it. You won’t be disappointed.

Comment

I'll see if I can find my notes on good stuff in the mainland area of Japan. Kyoto is beautiful, Mt Fuji was pretty good to get to see and experience. Tokyo is like another planet!

I used to go over there yearly to help with surf contests but spent most of my time in areas like Chiba, Shonan, Kyushu

Hokkaido is really cool too

There is great food everywhere

Comment

Was stationed in Okinawa for 2 years. While it's still Japan, it's not the same as the mainland. Only ever spent 2 days on mainland in Tokyo. It was a whole different world that Okinawa. Lots to do. Nice looking city IMHO. Great food.

Comment

I appreciate all the replies, Jonboy those pictures are awesome. I’ll be sure to update the thread when I return at the end of October.

Comment

Played UH there in the Mirage bowl back in the ‘80’s. Dang neat place is what I remember. Extremely clean back then.

Comment

Mt Fuji closes after Labor Day because of seasonal weather change...otherwise a must climb...you can see Tokyo. If youre gonna hump a mountain...be prepared for rain down low and snow up top.

Tokyo is fun and metropolitan (lots of willing native and stationed skirt!) but try and spend all your time around Kyoto and Nara (historical capital) if you want the historical traditional cultural exposure. Afterwhile you might get numbed to all the temples but alot of art to be found in them. I was stationed in Iwakuni and Hiroshima was our stomping ground...but thats a bit far for an 8 day trip.

The Tokyo radio tower is cool and iconic.

Ride the bullet train...Shinkansen...just because...its darn fast. Your means of transportation should only consist of bullet train, JR (Japanese Railroad) train, taxi, bike wagon peddlers and foot. I highly suggest not renting a car...completely unnecessary.

Himeji castle...south of Osaka and Kyoto...is the largest remaining feudal castle...worth a days trip.

Have a great time! (Dont put your feet on the train seats...you will get scolded.)
                            Last edited by Briar Friar; 08-15-2018, 08:58 AM. Reason: PrepareForRainSnowSpake

Comment

I'll try to omit the names of my favorite bath houses
                              Trust me. A bath house is a must do in Japan. Thank me later.

Comment

Working...
                              X