Help me pick new arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick new arrows

I haven't bow hunted in 3 years due to a shoulder injury but just bought an older Alphamax to get back into it.

I'm a 28" draw and plan to shoot around 68-69lbs. I'm a fan of heavy arrows and planned to just go back to the Easton FMJ's but at $150+ a dozen I'm looking to see if there are other heavy arrows.

I intent to shoot a 28" shaft with a 125 grain head - maybe 100 grain but looking at most arrow charts that either one should put me shooting a .340 spine shaft at that length and weight.

So what's out there these days that'll get me close to 500 grain finished weight range?

Thanks.

Check out Carbon Express Pile Driver Hunter 350. Mine are cut 27" with a 125 CoC broadhead. Total avg. weight 478.9 gr. I love them. Was talking to another guy this weekend at the range and he was also using the same in 28". He loves them also.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
      I haven't bow hunted in 3 years due to a shoulder injury but just bought an older Alphamax to get back into it.

I'm a 28" draw and plan to shoot around 68-69lbs. I'm a fan of heavy arrows and planned to just go back to the Easton FMJ's but at $150+ a dozen I'm looking to see if there are other heavy arrows.

I intent to shoot a 28" shaft with a 125 grain head - maybe 100 grain but looking at most arrow charts that either one should put me shooting a .340 spine shaft at that length and weight.

So what's out there these days that'll get me close to 500 grain finished weight range?

Thanks.
      This is my opinion. When I build an arrow I look at different things. Weight, speed, foc.

Now you have a criteria 500 gn. So not going to look at speed. So now let's look at weight.

One thing to look at is f.o.c. The higher it is ,the better penetration. But you have to make sure you have enough spine to handle the tip weight.

A good arrow and one that is not To expensive are blackeagle Carnivor. Look at the 250 spine. Yes it is stiff. And no you can never be to stiff especially if your going to load up the tip.

The 250 gn s 9.7 per inch. So at 28 inches. That's 271.6. Knoc is 8.5. Blazers are 18. So we have 298.1. Now add a 100 gn insert. And a 100 gn tip and you have a 498 gn arrow with nice foc.

This is just my opinion.
      Last edited by enewman; 10-05-2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
        This is my opinion. When I build an arrow I look at different things. Weight, speed, foc.

Now you have a criteria 500 gn. So not going to look at speed. So now let's look at weight.

One thing to look at is f.o.c. The higher it is ,the better penetration. But you have to make sure you have enough spine to handle the tip weight.

A good arrow and one that is not To expensive are blackeagle Carnivor. Look at the 250 spine. Yes it is stiff. And no you can never be to stiff especially if your going to load up the tip.

The 250 gn s 9.7 per inch. So at 28 inches. That's 271.6. Knoc is 8.5. Blazers are 18. So we have 298.1. Now add a 100 gn insert. And a 100 gn tip and you have a 498 gn arrow with nice foc.

This is just my opinion.

Listen to this guy^^^^^^^

Comment

What are your thoughts on the Outlaw shafts? The don't look to offer a 250 spine but do offer a 300, I could drop some weight with insert weight - go to a 40-50 grain insert and should be okay? It won't quite get me to 500 grains but should hit 450 grain, which I'd be happy with. Thoughts on this setup enewman? And thank you for your help!

This is just my opinion.

Comment

I don't know much about the outlaws. Get a hold muddyfuzzy. He is a great guy and a good blackeagle dealer.

yes the 300 will do what you want Drop to the 50 gn insert and shoot 100 or 125 gn heads

You will be a little light from 500 gn. But it will still be fine. This is a little light for a heavy arrow fan haha.
            Last edited by enewman; 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

This is a little light for a heavy arrow fan haha.
              Yes, it is. But I'm making a rush to get setup to hunt this season after being out a few years, I'll tinker and tweak after the season.

Thank you for the advice!

Comment

Yes, it is. But I'm making a rush to get setup to hunt this season after being out a few years, I'll tinker and tweak after the season.

Thank you for the advice!
                Anytime. Have a great season

Comment

Love my Beemans

Comment

Got a smoking deal on some Carbon Express Pile Driver 350's from Scorpion King. I plan to cut them down to 28", install some 100 grain brass inserts, wrap/fletch and will be using 125 grain Magnus Stingers which should be a tad over 570 grains finished weight.

Comment

Got a smoking deal on some Carbon Express Pile Driver 350's from Scorpion King. I plan to cut them down to 28", install some 100 grain brass inserts, wrap/fletch and will be using 125 grain Magnus Stingers which should be a tad over 570 grains finished weight.
                      those are going to be real weak on the spine bro.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                        those are going to be real weak on the spine bro.
                        To ambitious with the brass insert?

Comment

To ambitious with the brass insert?
                          on a 350 spine with your specs, yes sir.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                            on a 350 spine with your specs, yes sir.
                            sent you a pm

Comment

Working...
                            X