I'm shopping glass, what are your must haves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm shopping glass, what are your must haves

I'm looking to add some key fixtures to my collection of glass and I'm interested in what many of you consider must haves with a specific purpose and why?

The focal length categories of interest, are:

Normal lense in the 35mm-85mm range for portrait/street photography?

Wide lens 28mm or lower for landscapes that leap off the paper they're printed on?

Telephoto in the 100mm-300mm range for portrait and sports/action?

Super-Telephoto beyond 300mm for sports and wildlife?

Macro 40mm-200mm?

I think a prime lens (fixed length) either in a 35mm or 50mm in a 1.4 or 1.8 would be a good addition....great for indoor or low light events.

You Nikon or Canon?

Comment

The MUST have lens is the Nikkor 70-200 f2.8. It's expensive,~$2200, but well worth it. I shoot most all my sports and portraits with it. It also does quite well for wildlife if the distances are not too far.
      The 24-70 f2.8 is a great mid range lens, also expensive,~$1900, but on a DX camera (like your D3100), it may not be wide enough for landscape use. A better bet for wide angle shots would be the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. It's not that pricey either,~$700.
      I have an 18-200 f4.5-5.6 lens that is my "walking around lens". It does not do well in low light, but when it's sunny, it's a fine lens.~$850.
      For super telephoto, to get a quality lens to shoot dawn/dusk wildlife and sports at night under stadium lights, you are going to have to spend some really serious cash. ~5,000+
      For super telephoto shooting during the day, a 70-300 f4.5-5.6 will work for around $600.

Photography can get expensive quickly!!!

Comment

I have the 18-55mm that came with it, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G (FX), and 55-300mm 4.5-5.6G ED VR.

I'm looking at adding:

Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
        and the 105mm micro f/2.8 (FX) and the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II.

Comment

Although you have an 18-55 already, I'm going to guess it might not be a 2.8. I struggle to remove my sigma 17-50 2.8 on my D7000 body and often wish I had it in my bag before now. I guess it would not make much sense to replace your 18-55 but when you do, I think you will also be pleased. Every time I take mine off and start shooting with another lens, I start missing it and put it right back on.

serve up by legdog, on Flickr

This is crummy light but you can easily read the words "GAME BALL" if you blow it up.

$669 on Amazon (I bought locally but you get the idea)

More crummy light...

Spree Jam by legdog, on Flickr

and so on...

sweat it out by legdog, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
            I have the 18-55mm that came with it, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G (FX), and 55-300mm 4.5-5.6G ED VR.

I'm looking at adding:

and the 105mm micro f/2.8 (FX) and the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II.
            I added the 11-16 f/2.8 Tokina and the Nikor 105 f/2.8 VR and I really like both of them. The lower the f stop the more money they cost but they are worth it. You will see a dramitic improvement in the quality of your images with some higher quality glass. I would save up and buy one lense at a time when you have the funds. They will actually hold their value in the event you want or need to sell one.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Steve (Unclefish), I have a fixed 50mm f/1.4 that I ended up purchasing instead of spending a bundle on the 85mm I was looking at.

Scott, I appreciate the info and I agree that my want has turned into a need when it comes to the 70-200mm f/2.8 ED VR II… This is part of the reason I didn’t blow a wad on the 85mm that was $1500. Your right, the price is steep, but the reviews on this lens are worth taking the plunge. I’m not looking to throw money at a super-telephoto lens until I move up to a new body and my skill level increases, but I’m attempting to build a resource to follow up on once I do. All hobbies are expensive and I have way too many!

Steven (Legdog), Thanks for the advice... My 18-55mm is the cheap($120) f/3.5-5.6 that came with the body, so I would definitely be interested in upgrading to a better mid range lens that could be in my bag for years to come and the ability to use with a new body. Also, I have heard that if you’re in the Nikon D3100 camp that it is best to stick with “Sigma” for third party lenses. I think this has to do with the AF feature; apparently it doesn’t work with the “Tamron” lenses? I’m still a greenhorn so all input is appreciated.

Gary (iamntxhunter), I’m glad to hear you like the 105mm micro lens. I think I would use it more than say, a 40, 60, or above. What body are you using currently? I’m asking to get an idea on the (11-16 f/2.8 Tokina). Scott had mentioned that this would probably be a good option for wide angle landscapes.

Comment

I'm looking at what "YOUR", go to glass is per subject. I like to see what people use for certain criteria and why. It helps me form an opinon on which direction I would like to go.

Thank you, to those that have replied.

Comment

I'm shooting a D7000 and I use the 11-16 for scapes and the 105 for all kinds of shots especially. I sure want a 300 afs f/4. I would also like the 24-70 or the 17-55.

Comment

In my camera case:

Lenses
                    I'm going to go ahead and rank them from my favorite/most used to least used/specalized. All my lenses have a place and I couldn't see myself without one.

Body: Nikon D90

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 - Without a doubt, on my camera most of the time, when I am doing weddings, engagements, etc it is my go to. Wide but not wide to distort people. A great all around lens, IMO if you are interested in shooting subjects close up (people) and filling the frame without cropping.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 - I snap this bad boy on when I need some bokeh, which I find can be lacking with the 24-70. 50mm bokeh is just very unique. This is a lens/focal length that every photographer needs. I throw it (literally) in my purse, jacket pocket. It is lightweight and highly functional.

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 - This is a beast. My thought in buying it was to have it on my D90 100% of the time when I (eventally) upgrade to an FX camera (I know, I know, I'm slacking.) This lens will get into every nook and cranny. Not my go to for photographing people unless you have the niche for it. It takes some skill with the focal length to not distort. Biggest thing I had to learn with this lens: get up close to your subject, when you think you are too close, take another step in.

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 - My wildlife go to, and I use in weddings (especially when I am working solo) Incredible sharpness, this is really a great lens that I need to utilize more. When I need it, it performs. But it is heavyyy for an all day outing.

Nikon 16mm f/2.8 fisheye - If I had to pick an out of the box favorite it would be my fisheye. It's just fun for a change of pace. I would not recommend it for anyone starting out. It is one that is needed to change up the pace. I can't wait to stick it on an FX camera.

Nikon 105mm f.2.8 Macro - By far my lens I utilize the least, I'm not proud. It is a 1:1 so not wide at all, but portraits rock out of this and it is a bokeh heaven. I just haven't made myself find the right subject for it. I need to. Everytime I consider selling it I backout because it is a good tool in my bag.

The extras I have would fill a new thread. I highly recommed either Lightroom or Photoshop, there is no use in having great glass unless you can match the greatness with post production.

Hope that helps Chad, I really like threads like this. I learn a lot too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                      I looked at this lens, compared it to the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and the Tokina won hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
                        In my camera case:

Lenses
                        I'm going to go ahead and rank them from my favorite/most used to least used/specalized. All my lenses have a place and I couldn't see myself without one.

Body: Nikon D90

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 - Without a doubt, on my camera most of the time, when I am doing weddings, engagements, etc it is my go to. Wide but not wide to distort people. A great all around lens, IMO if you are interested in shooting subjects close up (people) and filling the frame without cropping.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 - I snap this bad boy on when I need some bokeh, which I find can be lacking with the 24-70. 50mm bokeh is just very unique. This is a lens/focal length that every photographer needs. I throw it (literally) in my purse, jacket pocket. It is lightweight and highly functional.

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 - This is a beast. My thought in buying it was to have it on my D90 100% of the time when I (eventally) upgrade to an FX camera (I know, I know, I'm slacking.) This lens will get into every nook and cranny. Not my go to for photographing people unless you have the niche for it. It takes some skill with the focal length to not distort. Biggest thing I had to learn with this lens: get up close to your subject, when you think you are too close, take another step in.

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 - My wildlife go to, and I use in weddings (especially when I am working solo) Incredible sharpness, this is really a great lens that I need to utilize more. When I need it, it performs. But it is heavyyy for an all day outing.

Nikon 16mm f/2.8 fisheye - If I had to pick an out of the box favorite it would be my fisheye. It's just fun for a change of pace. I would not recommend it for anyone starting out. It is one that is needed to change up the pace. I can't wait to stick it on an FX camera.

Nikon 105mm f.2.8 Macro - By far my lens I utilize the least, I'm not proud. It is a 1:1 so not wide at all, but portraits rock out of this and it is a bokeh heaven. I just haven't made myself find the right subject for it. I need to. Everytime I consider selling it I backout because it is a good tool in my bag.

The extras I have would fill a new thread. I highly recommed either Lightroom or Photoshop, there is no use in having great glass unless you can match the greatness with post production.

Hope that helps Chad, I really like threads like this. I learn a lot too.
                        Wow! Great write-up. You've got a great variety and have dropped some coin on your collection. Thanks for posting!

Chad I only own 2 lens for my D90 so I'm not much help. I have the 50mm f/1.8 and the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6.

The 18-200 was a good compromise lens for me....it will make better pictures than I'm capable of taking...lol.
                        Last edited by unclefish; 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          Wow! Great write-up. You've got a great variety and have dropped some coin on your collection. Thanks for posting!
                          I'm really scared to add it up.
                          All I know is I have a great insurance policy.

Comment

Hillary, you rock and your input is exactly what I was looking for.

Y'all have sold me on the Tokina 11-16mm, it's going in my bag!

Comment

You are going to like that 2.8 with a wide angle. It really opens up possibilities.
                              Good Choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X