No announcement yet.

Flecthing questions again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pit a mark on the back end of the bare shaft, shoot it with the mark straight up and after shooying determine the natural spin of the bare shaft and then fletch my arrows in that way.

If you do it the other way, it takes energy to stop the natural rotation and start rotating with the position of the fletching.

Still not sure how much it changes energy, accuracy, or flight path, but better safe than sorry I guess.

Comment

GulfCoastRaider, I believe you are correct about stopping the natural rotation and restarting the rotation in the opposite direction. It makes logical sense that you would lose some energy. That is why I am asking these questions. I have been building my own arrows the last couple of years and have seen slight changes in arrow flight as to how I fletch vanes. I love the way feathers make an arrow fly, but Blazer vanes are much more durable. Feathers catch hell when they get wet, even when coating them w/ the dry powder. Thanks guys for all your input. I think I will build some arrows w/ an offset fletch to see how they fly w/ fixed BH.

Comment

Compound right helical

Comment

Originally posted by Bisquick View Post
          I have heard the way to find the correct spin (left or right) is to shoot a bear shaft and see which way it spins naturally. Then put the fetching that spins your arrow the same way.
          This is correct. I have seen a tech tip video on Bowhunter TV with Randy Ulmer doing exactly this. He would mark the nock end and shoot bare shaft to see which way the arrow was coming out of the bow and then fletch accordingly. I've never tried it because I shoot 4 fletch with mini Blazers. It does make sense with what he is saying.

Comment

I always fletch with a right helical based on right hand rule in physics. If there were any energy loss due to the arrow naturally spinning it would be overcome before it even had a chance to start as the fletching is pulling the arrow while the arrow is locked in position until nock comes off string. After nock is loose from string this will overcome any tendency to not follow fletch.

Comment

Originally posted by AGAF View Post
              Right hand helical for RH shooters gets much better arrow stabilization for broadheads at longer shots....also helps to get the FOC up when shooting fixed broadheads.
              Sorry......but the helical of the vanes / feathers on an arrow doesn't do a thing for the FOC.

Comment

Right helical north of the Equator, left helical for south of the Equator.

Comment

Working...
                X