The Pittman Robertson act.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
    X2 and like being able to manage my private land.
    Nobody is trying to take your private lands. But there is a movement to take the public lands (that belong to every American) and make them private. I think our country is better off keeping public lands public...and available for anyone to use.

I think it is pretty cool to think that 200 years from now a person who flies their car to work or whatever technology is available....would still be able to go out and fish a trout stream or chase a bull elk through pretty much the same mountains that Jim Bridger used to call home.

Or it could all be condos, golf courses, and 7-11's, etc...as far as the eye can see. We have the opportunity to make a lasting legacy to keep on this earth for eternity. Once it is gone....IT IS GONE. You can't get it back. I personally think our country is better off keeping what we have as wild and untouched as possible.

I'm a free market, states rights, capitalist, kind of guy. But I don't think you can put a price on some things.....and public lands are one of those things for me.

Comment

We have one of the most unique parks system in the world. I believe that it should stay public 100%. States cannot take care of these lands (financially) and would eventually be privatized leaving us with no public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love hunting in NM and Colorado......on the rare occasion i grt drawn.
        At 6% chance it has become a really unfair event.
        That said, i dont think any public land should be sold off inless it is of no good recreational use and then proceeds ( at least 50% ) should go to open up more space

Comment

I would hate to see a state government sell what is now federal public land just to perpetuate the welfare state some states are running... Does anyone really believe that states like California or Illinois would keep public land public instead of selling it??

Listen to some of podcast from either Steven Rinnela or Randy Newberg. They both do a great job of depicting what would become of federal lands should they be turned over to the states.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            I love hunting in NM and Colorado......on the rare occasion i grt drawn.
            At 6% chance it has become a really unfair event.
            That said, i dont think any public land should be sold off inless it is of no good recreational use and then proceeds ( at least 50% ) should go to open up more space
            You can hunt Colorado every year. There are plenty OTC license.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
              You can hunt Colorado every year. There are plenty OTC license.
              Plenty of otc elk.....plan on that trip next year. But really enjoy NM deer.
              I have missed the last two years....first gap that long in last 28 years....that i remember. Problem is, of the three of us that go only 2 bow hunt and camp just is not as good with 1 missing thats why we have been putting in for NM deer.
              Next year, im going if even im alone

Comment

With Interior Secretary Zinke I have a lot of faith that this will not be an issue anytime soon. I should have some updates later this week from the SCI Board of Directors meeting in Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                  You got all that from what I wrote, huh?
                  Fair enough, it was certainly wrong of me to infer that from what you wrote alone. Actually it was your previous statement that "I am also not a huge fan of the Gubmint owning giant swaths of the Country" that I based my assumption that you were pro-transfer. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    With Interior Secretary Zinke I have a lot of faith that this will not be an issue anytime soon. I should have some updates later this week from the SCI Board of Directors meeting in Arizona.
                    Maybe, his voting record is somewhat questionable in this arena though. He seems to be a little two-faced on the issue. However, he is certainly a better choice than some. I guess only time will tell.

I think the worry is that rather than push outright transfer at this point, the pro-transfer movement will aim to undercut the agencies managing these lands (through budget cuts and legislation) to the point that they are entirely ineffective, thus creating a situation where they can bring up the argument for transfer again.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out the tie to the Pittman-Robertson Act and how Texas missed the boat on public land?
                      I like hunting private land. when I used to hunt Colo. and Wyoming there were several times I would scout all summer to find a good spot that held elk and muledeer and then on opening morning when the sun came up to reveal several orange spots in the same drainage however I am glad the western states have those lands

Comment

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
                        Fair enough, it was certainly wrong of me to infer that from what you wrote alone. Actually it was your previous statement that "I am also not a huge fan of the Gubmint owning giant swaths of the Country" that I based my assumption that you were pro-transfer. My bad.
                        Heck no. I don't want it sold off and paved over. It's just a catch 22 in my view. I like that is will be untouched for future generations but when the Gubmint sticks their fingers in anything, they seem to find a way to mess it all up.

Comment

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
                          Maybe, his voting record is somewhat questionable in this arena though. He seems to be a little two-faced on the issue. However, he is certainly a better choice than some. I guess only time will tell.

I think the worry is that rather than push outright transfer at this point, the pro-transfer movement will aim to undercut the agencies managing these lands (through budget cuts and legislation) to the point that they are entirely ineffective, thus creating a situation where they can bring up the argument for transfer again.
                          I can't think of anyone better to hold that office[emoji844] (Well , that was under realistic consideration!) He has seen it all in local, state and federal land issues. Every major conservation group endorsed him publiclly as did the NRA. He does not just hunt and fish. .......he exudes that lifestyle. The "cherry on top" he just happens to be a Navy Seal.
                          Yes I do agree, if we continue wars in all these localities and continue to fund the over burdensome health & welfare system the department of Interior will surely be slashed. That could "potentially" gain traction with the PRO transfer montra folks. Anything and everything is possible.....always the case in politics. Be vigilant, be prepared , be an advocate![emoji106][emoji631] But on the forseeable horizon this issue does not rank in the Top 25 of legislative concerns as of now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                            I'm still trying to figure out the tie to the Pittman-Robertson Act and how Texas missed the boat on public land?
                            I like hunting private land. when I used to hunt Colo. and Wyoming there were several times I would scout all summer to find a good spot that held elk and muledeer and then on opening morning when the sun came up to reveal several orange spots in the same drainage however I am glad the western states have those lands
                            I have wrongly tied school trust lands to the P-R Act. Texas is certainly a different beast when it comes to statehood and private vs. public lands.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                              I can't think of anyone better to hold that office[emoji844] (Well , that was under realistic consideration!) He has seen it all in local, state and federal land issues. Every major conservation group endorsed him publiclly as did the NRA. He does not just hunt and fish. .......he exudes that lifestyle. The "cherry on top" he just happens to be a Navy Seal.
                              Yes I do agree, if we continue wars in all these localities and continue to fund the over burdensome health & welfare system the department of Interior will surely be slashed. That could "potentially" gain traction with the PRO transfer montra folks. Anything and everything is possible.....always the case in politics. Be vigilant, be prepared , be an advocate![emoji106][emoji631] But on the forseeable horizon this issue does not rank in the Top 25 of legislative concerns as of now.

I agree that he is absolutely the best option we had.

Comment

Every year, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service reviews hunting and fishing programs on National Wildlife Refuges to determine whether it should add new opportunities and modify existing opportunities. This year, the Service has proposed to open or expand hunting on nine Refuges.

Comment

Working...
                                X