No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TomTom, I don't have any pictures of my bike, mabye tommorow I can take one. It is quite a masterpiece. It took me about 8 years to adapt it for use at Laguna to where I don't want to modify it at the end of the hunt anymore. The most important feature is small tires that give as much clearance between the frame and tire so that the sticky mud doesn't render your bike useless immediately if it rains. I had to leave my bike twice for that reason. At a minimum the tires should be filled with tire slime, there are alot of thorns. Next is a decent size (sturdy) rack on the back for hauling light weight stands on and hauling out deer on. I have a small trailer but I have found that I can strap even good bucks onto the bike with enough bungee cords. I can't ride it of course, I just walk the bike/buck out. Lastly a bow rack mounted onto the handlebars. I have more mods but these are a good start.
    As far as stands go I prefer the taller stand, mine is adjustable from 4' up to 8' and I find that I use it in the 8' mode most of the time. Most important is to have it light enough and easy enough to set up that you don't hesistate to move it when you identify a pattern. Mine is homemade, telescopic, and lightweight enough that I just strap it to the bike rack and ride.
    The rut is in pre rut. It gets better as the week progresses (I wish the hunt was one week later). There will be alot of people rattling (hint: these people are not killing deer). The deer patterns change the day the hunt begins so you really have to identify were the deer are now and not where they were the day the hunt began. Opening day they will be moving alot as they are pushed around by the incoming hunters. After that they become the elusive, more predictable animals that you as a public land hunter should be used to finding.
    I can't wait to get after them monster bucks again.

Comment

I dont know about the rut but I can tell you where there are chingos of hogs. I went out today and musta seen about 15-20 hogs of all sizes and color. They were in a pond thats on the way to my hunting area. I got as close as 10 yards to some small hogs. The wind was in my favor so I sat there and watched them for 20-20 min. It was hard to spot the moma hog cause they were in the weeds. When she finaly appeared at 20 yards she charged me. I dont know how close she came because I didnt look back. The sows were huge. I saw two cayotes as well. Only saw two deer. I know one was a doe but couldn't make out the other.

Comment

Here are some pictures of my bike. I have changed up the set up a little. The Tek riser on my Turbotek was giving me fits. I had to add handel bar extensions to place the bow rack on. I have also gone from the garden cart to a game carrier this year. The garden cart didn't work out (4 tiers = more friction). The thing to hook up the trailer is from Traileron.com.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info, that helps alot. I would like to see pics of your bike adn stand if you could, thanks. Maybe we can catch up with each other during the hunt. What do you drive? I'm ready.

Comment

Bluegoose, The rut will definitely just be getting started during the hunt at Laguna.

TomTom, I drive a white 06 Chev. 4X4 Crew Cab deisel. I stay at the county campground in Arroyo City. I will be easy to spot during the hunt because I have a homemade bike rack mounted in the reciever hitch. The bike actually rides in-line behind the truck. Looks crazy but it sure is easy to load and unload, I don't even have to take my stand off of the bike rack.

Comment

lease

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
              I highly doubt it will be post rut. I have a lease south of Benavides and the rut is the second week of December. The rut at the refuge is probably around the same time as my lease if not a week later.
              thanks for the info on lease it was already booked. maybe ill see you at laguna ata

Comment

Thanks Sneaky, interesting setup. onthelake, hope to see you there, and would like to see your bike rig if you get time to post some pics..... thanks.

Comment

Does anybody know if the game wardens (Federal or State) will haul a deer back to the cooler for you from a service road?

Comment

TomTom, Sorry I have been busy and not had a chance to get my bike out for pictures. I won't be able to get the pictures until this weekend. Make sure you say hello when you see me at Laguna. Believe it or not I have pretty much hunted and/or scouted every area in Laguna, shoot me an email (roider320@hotmail.com) and we can discuss some areas to start.

Bluegoose, I have been told that they will help with a nilgai if you ask but not deer.

Comment

Yup they might help with a nilgai but not with a deer. Some are more friendly than others.

Comment

hey sneaky how did it go on your last your last scouting trip?

Comment

You guys ready? I am not. I couldnt get some things taken care of this weekend due to the weather so Ill be busy getting ready all week.

Comment

I've been considering purchasing mechanical broadheads before the hunt. Any suggestions? So far I am considering buying an AfterShock Archery product called Hypershock Broadhead or the Tremor Broadhead.

Comment

I am using the rage and slick tricks this year, don't think you can go wrong with either. The hunt isn't too far away and I'm getting anxious kinda dont know what to expect!

Comment

I hope the rain holds off during the hunt week. Is it muddy at LANWR right now? Hows the county road?

Comment

Working...
                                X