Newton County Unit 144

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newton County Unit 144

Hello, I am new to this forum although I've been reading them for a while and decided it was time to join. I am moving (back) to Orange TX next month and noticed on the TX Parks and wildlife website, there is some type 2 land just north of there up Hwy 87 between Trout Creek and Newton. Unit 144, its only a 1200 acre tract. I was wonedering if anyone had any experience there. I looked it up on Google maps and it looks like a combination of woods with some open fields and a few creeks. I've read some older post here about units 122 and 125 in Newton County but nothings been said about this one tract. Thanks in advance for any info...

dont have any info but welcome to the site

Comment

I have no knowledge of that area either, but Welcome aboard!

Comment

I have looked at it and it looks OK, however the last time I hunted it, it was overrun with outlaws.

Comment

There is still alot of folks running dogs over there. Though, it has gotten better over the past 10 years or so. I haven't been through that particular section, but it might be worth scoping out...especially for bow season. I don't think I would be in there during gun season unless you find a little honey hole in there.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everybody! What kind of outlawing is taking place over there? Nighthunting? Gun hunting in a bow only area?...Also Tom I noticed your email address you are with the ACOE. I am active duty military and at one time was stationed in Alabama. We hunted corp land quite a bit over there. Just wondering if there was any corp land that is huntable in east TX? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
              Thanks for the welcome everybody! What kind of outlawing is taking place over there? Nighthunting? Gun hunting in a bow only area?...Also Tom I noticed your email address you are with the ACOE. I am active duty military and at one time was stationed in Alabama. We hunted corp land quite a bit over there. Just wondering if there was any corp land that is huntable in east TX? Thanks.
              Yes, there is Corps land available, also there is some TPWD Public Land WMA's like the Moore Plantation just up north between Jasper and Pineland. You can call our office at 384-5716 and ask for the Hunting Program Coordinater. His name is Bart and he would be more than happy to get you the information you need to hunt Corps land. I am also posting a link to our District Hunting Manual and the Sam Rayburn regs, etc...

Hope this helps some.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
                X