Abilene State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abilene State Park

do they allow deer hunting out there? I was talking to some guys from Abliene last weekend and they said it was a draw hunt. I cannot find anything on the TPWD website.

ABILENE Area Code: AE BAG AND POSSESSION LIMITS: Four white-tailed deer (limit one fork antlered buck, one spike buck, and two antlerless) and unlimited feral hogs. HUNT METHOD: By assigned blind. Baiting is allowed. PERMITS AVAILABLE: 12
    HUNT SCHEDULE
    HUNT DATE CODES
    DATES
    01 AA
    Dec. 19-21 Any above
    LAST YEAR: No hunts were conducted in this category last year.

I found a youth draw hunt

Comment

When the next drawings are announced, we'll see what hunt(s) they have. It varies from year to year.

Comment

Hey Shane,
        how about a heads up when you get that info? I think I heard about it a couple of years ago, but that it was going to allow gun hunters. I think that scared me off. Don't want to get shot by some cowboy.

Comment

The Parks & Wildlife puts out a book with all the year's drawing info every year. It usually comes out in July. You can get one at the local office or at any of the state parks. They also have all the info on their website, and you can even download the PDF of the booklet that they print.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...unting_system/

If you enter a drawing and have your name as the contact name on the top of the entry card, then they will automatically mail you the book when it comes out every year. That is nice. My dad and brother-in-law and I always enter the drawings together, and we make sure that everybody has their name on the top of at least one card every year.

As for the hunting safety, I wouldn't worry too much. The small places like Abilene State Park are hunted by assigned blind, meaning that you MUST sit in the blind that they assign you to hunt. You also have to wear orange on gun hunts. On the really large places, like the Matador, you hunt by compartment. That means you have a big pasture to yourself and/or your partner or group that you applied with.

Comment

TPWD told me they won't have any information until late May.

Comment

TPWD just informed me that there will be no GDE hunt at the park

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                TPWD just informed me that there will be no GDE hunt at the park
                Sad!

Comment

Yep. Lot's of deer in that area.

Comment

Whats the deal with that, I've been putting in the draw at a place going on four years, and they haven't done a buck hunt since 2004.

Comment

Are they going to have a youth hunt or something?

Comment

They had a draw hunt out there last year for adults because of over population. I do not know about this coming up year though.

Comment

My contact did not say if they were going to have a youth hunt or not.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I guess we'll have to wait another year, and maybe not even then. I know a couple of land owners down that way and they say they are seeing fewer deer. They blame it on developement. Lots of new houses being built south of Abilene.

Comment

Working...
                            X