Flemish twist string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flemish twist string

Ok guys it's been a while since I made a string and I have a couple to make. If my memory serves me correctly a recurve string is four inches shorter than the bow and a longbow is three. Or atleast that is where to start until you play with brace height. Am I correct?

Yes! That is the general rule.

BTW, how are you doing? I hope all is continuing to go well with you.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
      Thanks buddy. It is goin as well as it can lol. Two treatments left so I will be done the last week of march!

Comment

The AMO string length standard is 3" shorter than the measured AMO length of the bow. That goes for both recurve & longbow.

AMO bow length is derived by measuring (with the bow unstrung) from string notch to string notch, and along the belly side of the limbs in a straight line. Do not measure down into the handle.

This string length standard was derived by using a steel cable (no stretch), so obviously you will need to adjust for the amount of stretch the material you are using will yield.

The more stretch/creep a material will yield, the shorter the string will need to be to compensate without having to much twist.

Your target (stretched/shot in) length should be 3" shorter than the bow.

Rick

EDIT:

Oh & P.S.

Don't trust the AMO length markings on the bow.
        Just as an example - I've seen bows marked 62" AMO, that actually measured anywhere from 61" to 63".
        Measure it to be sure. You'll be glad you did.
        Last edited by RickBarbee; 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          The AMO string length standard is 3" shorter than the measured AMO length of the bow. That goes for both recurve & longbow.

AMO bow length is derived by measuring (with the bow unstrung) from string notch to string notch, and along the belly side of the limbs in a straight line. Do not measure down into the handle.

This string length standard was derived by using a steel cable (no stretch), so obviously you will need to adjust for the amount of stretch the material you are using will yield.

The more stretch/creep a material will yield, the shorter the string will need to be to compensate without having to much twist.

Your target (stretched/shot in) length should be 3" shorter than the bow.

Rick

EDIT:

Oh & P.S.

Don't trust the AMO length markings on the bow.
          Just as an example - I've seen bows marked 62" AMO, that actually measured anywhere from 61" to 63".
          Measure it to be sure. You'll be glad you did.
          Thanks for the info sir I will definitely start measuring

Comment

Rick is right! I had a Chastain built Wapiti once that was marked 62"s. finally after having built the 4th string and it being to short ( thought for sure I was doing something wrong) I measured that sucker and it measured 63&5/8"s long!

Comment

I just use my old string as a length guide which is usually around for 3.5" shorter(unstrecthed) than amo with my low stretch 452x.

I prefer to measure the exact length of my string under tension that gets the brace height I prefer and then prestretch my new string to that length and serve under the same heavy tension.
              Last edited by brent.westbrook; 03-04-2013, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Bubba,
                There are many jigs for making strings, each person will make a different string length off the same jig.
                Consistency is the key. You might have to tweak your jig a little here or there to get a constant string. Sometimes ya can't follow the rules of 3 or 4 inches shorter it depends on the bow.
                Had a feller bring me in a Robertson stykbow it had a new string but the loops were served at the "Y", it was to keep the string on the bow? 3 inches shorter gave it a 4 inch brace.
                To get a comfortable fistmele was 5.25 shorter, but Wow was that dude quiet with a B-50 using my method.
                He said, do I need silencers on the string? I said is it loud? he replied Heck no, it's whisper quiet !! Ok, you got a couple feet more per second.

Guide lines are just that. Good luck and happy string twisting.

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf in Hawaii View Post
                  Bubba,
                  There are many jigs for making strings, each person will make a different string length off the same jig.
                  Consistency is the key. You might have to tweak your jig a little here or there to get a constant string. Sometimes ya can't follow the rules of 3 or 4 inches shorter it depends on the bow.
                  Had a feller bring me in a Robertson stykbow it had a new string but the loops were served at the "Y", it was to keep the string on the bow? 3 inches shorter gave it a 4 inch brace.
                  To get a comfortable fistmele was 5.25 shorter, but Wow was that dude quiet with a B-50 using my method.
                  He said, do I need silencers on the string? I said is it loud? he replied Heck no, it's whisper quiet !! Ok, you got a couple feet more per second.

Guide lines are just that. Good luck and happy string twisting.
                  thanks for the info sir. i got it done and on this ole 66" bear recurve 4 inchs shorter did the trick after puting it on my stretcher.

Comment

If you need a string, send me a PM and I can make one for you.

Comment

edwardv I sent you a pm

Comment

Originally posted by edwardv View Post
                        If you need a string, send me a PM and I can make one for you.
                        Thank you for the offer sir but I got it done. Just like riding a bike

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
                          Did I miss something? I hope all is well.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
                            Did I miss something? I hope all is well.

Matt
                            Sent you a pm matt

Comment

Working...
                            X