Smoker painting project suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker painting project suggestions

My pit is ready for a refresh. What’s the best way to tackle this?
    I’m assuming for best results, I’ll need to grind or sandblast the old paint and rust off first?
    What’s the best paint and is primer necessary?
    I’d be more than happy to pay someone a fair price to do it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were me, I’d clean it back to bare metal with a wire wheel and then just keep it well oiled up. A natural steel look. I think they look really good that way. I’ve used every kind of paint there is (high temp) and none of it ever lasts on the fire box and close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
      If it were me, I’d clean it back to bare metal with a wire wheel and then just keep it well oiled up. A natural steel look. I think they look really good that way. I’ve used every kind of paint there is (high temp) and none of it ever lasts on the fire box and close to it.

That’s interesting...seems like you’d have to keep the pit constantly lubed up to prevent rust, no?

Comment

Tagged....always wondered how to paint a grill.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
          That’s interesting...seems like you’d have to keep the pit constantly lubed up to prevent rust, no?

That would be my concern, and wouldn/t it attract dirt, insects, and debris?

I just brush wire mine down good and repaint, knowing that it will need to be done again.

edit: I also like to spray or paint RustStop on it and leet that stop the rust before repainting.
          Last edited by Burnadell; 04-20-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            That would be my concern, and wouldn/t it attract dirt, insects, and debris?

I just brush wire mine down good and repaint, knowing that it will need to be done again.

edit: I also like to spray or paint RustStop on it and leet that stop the rust before repainting.

Yeah, I like this. I’m cool having to repaint every year or so. Taking it down to the metal with a sand blaster doesn’t sound like fun.

Comment

Working...
            X