Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #1
BTLowry
Pope & Young
 
BTLowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default Hey Smart

How much reach does a coon have?

Figure if anyone knows, you do

Brought a feeder up to the house to do a little work on

Not sure the coons can reach the spinner through the cage but figure I might as well fix it where they can't while I have it

Anyone else that knows can answer to, I just figure as much as Smart hates them he has done studied up
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #2
kyle1974
Pope & Young
 
kyle1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Bluff, America
Hunt In: Hebbronville/Refugio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
How much reach does a coon have?

Figure if anyone knows, you do

Brought a feeder up to the house to do a little work on

Not sure the coons can reach the spinner through the cage but figure I might as well fix it where they can't while I have it

Anyone else that knows can answer to, I just figure as much as Smart hates them he has done studied up
I Know that a big male can spin the plate on an all season's 800lb stand n fill. I had to go back and put eliminators on them.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Hahahahah.....I might be your guy!..


I go by 9" average....and 11" if he can get his shoulder in...which he can in something with a 1x2" gap or larger. Of course, YMMV either way......


These guards are 23" wide.....so that is 11.5" to the center. The coon can reach the plate because these guard holes are 1x2" and he can get his shoulder in it. That's just what I use when I am determining what I need....


These pics are a big reason why we went with 1x1" mesh on our guards and it has served us well.
Attached Images
  
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
BTLowry
Pope & Young
 
BTLowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default

Well it looks like I am going to have to figure something else out

30gal barrel, 1x2 mesh

I got 8" from outside mesh to edge of spinner
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
MagicBlade
Ten Point
 
MagicBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Hunt In: Archer County Texas
Default

Trash all that and get a capsule! Coons can't get to the corn and you can fill it from the ground!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
droebuck
Ten Point
 
droebuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Menard County
Default

We use the ones that are the same diameter as the 55 gallon drum with the 1x1 mesh also and haven't had an issue since we went to these.
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co
Default

Funny this was posted, I just picked up a small roll of 1X1 wire yesterday at Lowe’s to build a cage. I was also wondering the size to build to keep them out. This feeder is a 600lb all season, so it has the square bottom instead of the funneled type. I didn’t get the measurements of the bottom when I was out, but I’m thinking I’ll go 14X14 and be plenty good.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
White Falcon
Pope & Young
 
White Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Holly Lake Ranch
Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!
Default

Caught a coon last night in my trap. Wire is 7/8"x7/8" I.D. looks like from his shoulder to his farthest reach was 5". He was a mature coon, and pi**ed!!
Attached Images
 
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Funny this was posted, I just picked up a small roll of 1X1 wire yesterday at Lowe’s to build a cage. I was also wondering the size to build to keep them out. This feeder is a 600lb all season, so it has the square bottom instead of the funneled type. I didn’t get the measurements of the bottom when I was out, but I’m thinking I’ll go 14X14 and be plenty good.

Too small...IMO



These commercial cages are 14x14" and are 1.5x1.5"......they are nothing but coon jungle gyms..


Name:  opplanet-american-hunter-varmint-guard-for-55-gal-barrel-20632-5k-hga-amfdtr-20632-main.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  12.7 KB

Name:  Varmint jungle gym (Medium).jpg
Views: 239
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  Coon hang.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  70.0 KB
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
droebuck
Ten Point
 
droebuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Menard County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Too small...IMO



These commercial cages are 14x14" and are 1.5x1.5"......they are nothing but coon jungle gyms..


Attachment 953802

Attachment 953801

Attachment 953800
True statement right here. We had these and they were robbing us for twice what we were feeding.
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Too small...IMO



These commercial cages are 14x14" and are 1.5x1.5"......they are nothing but coon jungle gyms..


Attachment 953802

Attachment 953801

Attachment 953800
How can they reach the spinner on a 14X14 of 1X1 mesh wire with 10” arms? Guess I need to go 16” or even 18.”

Edit. Clearly I didn’t think about the width of the spinner being in the middle.

So what size do y’all think?
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
How can they reach the spinner on a 14X14 of 1X1 mesh wire with 10” arms? Guess I need to go 16” or even 18.”

Edit. Clearly I didn’t think about the width of the spinner being in the middle.

So what size do y’all think?



Lets do some quick math..


If a cage is 14" wide its only 7" to the dead center of it......not 14". 10" arms easily surpass that even without taking the width of the spinner into account. Those spinners with the flaps are 6" so that's 3" of extra they can reach as well. With a 14" cage and a 6" spinner that is 7" to the center and deduct 3" for half the spinner so the coon would only have to reach in 4" to touch the spinner.

My minimum for a cage would be 23"....just like the one you bought from me on the BigHorn that is round..

Last edited by Smart; 04-15-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
dustoffer
Pope & Young
 
dustoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seguin, Tx
Hunt In: S/Central Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droebuck View Post
We use the ones that are the same diameter as the 55 gallon drum with the 1x1 mesh also and haven't had an issue since we went to these.
Works great for me and I attach the cage with a ratchet strap
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #14
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Lets do some quick math..


If a cage is 14" wide its only 7" to the dead center of it......not 14". 10" arms easily surpass that even without taking the width of the spinner into account. Those spinners with the flaps are 6" so that's 3" of extra they can reach as well. With a 14" cage and a 6" spinner that is 7" to the center and deduct 3" for half the spinner so the coon would only have to reach in 4" to touch the spinner.

My minimum for a cage would be 23"....just like the one you bought from me on the BigHorn that is round..
For the record, my edit was before your math class. I realized it after I posted it. Lol.

Looks like it may be my best bet to just go from the side and come down. I don’t even know if the hopper itself is 23.” May end up going the complete length of the hopper.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default

I use 1x2 mesh on mine, attached to the outside of the barrels. I do occasionally have coons start climbing and trying to get to the corn, but that is when the dukes traps come out and play!!!!

Bisch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #16
Matt_C
Ten Point
 
Matt_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: McKinney, Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBlade View Post
Trash all that and get a capsule! Coons can't get to the corn and you can fill it from the ground!

Do your big hogs or cows push it around or you anchor it?
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com