Deformed antlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deformed antlers

Seems like I am seeing more mature deer this year than others with one side messed up. Anybody else noticing this ? Looking for explanation or logical reason for this.

I've heard that this can from leg injuries. If it is a rear leg injury, it is the opposite antler, and if it is a front leg injury, it is the antler on the same side.

Comment

Yes we have a few that have deformed antlers. This is one will be removed this year by one of the kiddos. We think he was injured last year some how. Notice his coat is not a typical summer coat as well still have patches of dark winter coat.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
        I've heard that this can from leg injuries. If it is a rear leg injury, it is the opposite antler, and if it is a front leg injury, it is the antler on the same side.
        I was told the same exact thing fom a biologist two years ago.
        And then a guy who claimed to be a bilogist said i fell for a joke. I dont know what to believe. Sounded plausible to me at the time coming from a trained professional.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback but no known physical injuries. All the bucks in question had normal antlers last year. Could be I have let them ripen to long but I normally let all my top end bucks go until 8-10 yrs before putting them on hit list. Have not noticed this in years past.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
            I was told the same exact thing fom a biologist two years ago.
            And then a guy who claimed to be a bilogist said i fell for a joke. I dont know what to believe. Sounded plausible to me at the time coming from a trained professional.
            I'm the guy who "claimed " to be a biologist. I am a Certified Wildlife Biologist.

Yes, leg injuries cause antler deformation.

What you fell for was something completely different.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sippy; 08-08-2016, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
              Appreciate the feedback but no known physical injuries. All the bucks in question had normal antlers last year. Could be I have let them ripen to long but I normally let all my top end bucks go until 8-10 yrs before putting them on hit list. Have not noticed this in years past.
              Any reason you let them go this long? My understanding is they begin to lose mass after 7 years and begin to have teeth problems. I guess it depends on conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                I'm the guy who "claimed " to be a biologist. I am a Certified Wildlife Biologist.

that's good stuff

Comment

I seem to recall a thread last year that suggested it may be caused by cottonseed baskets. By chance do you feed cottonseed out of the mesh wire baskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post

No worries, wasnt bashing you or nothing. I didnt know you from Adam. Just fell between two different stories from biologists

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                      Seems like I am seeing more mature deer this year than others with one side messed up. Anybody else noticing this ? Looking for explanation or logical reason for this.
                      I get quite a few deer with messed up antlers. Most of them we believe are velvet injuries. It was suggested to me that dogs might be chasing the deer. The guy who told me that suggested hog dogs, but I hunt small properties with houses in every direction so dogs in general seems plausible.

Comment

In all seriousness SIPPY, If they dont use their feet to help shape their antlers during velvet, then how can a leg injury deform them? Im just curious.
                        Not trying to be a smart a**. I have no clue and receive conflicting information.

Comment

In all seriousness SIPPY, If they dont use their feet to help shape their antlers during velvet, then how can a leg injury deform them? Im just curious.
                          Not trying to be a smart a**. I have no clue and receive conflicting information.
                          Damage to blood flow and nerve transmissions.

Most antler abnormalities are due to a pedicel injury or an injury to the antler itself when in velvet.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	24456118Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	24456119

I have a couple as well. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Leg injury doesn't refer to the leg injuring the antler, it refers to an injury to the leg. Like a leg break, infection etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X