Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening weekend miss

2010 Oct 03 opening weekend miss

Feeder is 37 yards, I guestimate the buck was 31 yards. I used 25 yard pin but shot went high, I noticed later it went through the "shoot through" mesh, you can see the shot fishtailing so I don't know if that was a factor. That was not intentional, I had an edge of the mesh pealed down, but the shot went through the mesh twice since it caught the folded down corner.

Lucky day for that ugly 5-pt. Of course most deer are safe with a bow in my hands.

I rather have a clean miss than a bad hit. Great video

Comment

Happens to the best of us. Good luck next time

Comment

Great vid.. what's your camera and editing software?
        Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Nice video! As said, rather have the clean miss than bad hit

Comment

nice video, keep shooting

Comment

Great video. That buck felt the wind from that arrow.

Comment

At least you are getting to hunt!

Comment

True, I had a great time regardless.

To answer tech questions. Camera is a Sony HDR-SR1, I think their first HD (1440i anyway) HDD camera. Probably 4 years old but still shoots well. I used Sony Vegas (Movie Studio v9 I think) to put the clips together, didn't do any special processing except a little slow-mo and pan/zoom, nothing fancy at all. Tripod is a sturdy Bogen 3221G. Only gripe is that Vegas only allows you to slow down 4x, so I had to slow clip down 4X, save it, import it back in and slow it down again, so slowest shot is 1/16th normal speed.

Helpful in that you can see the shot porpoising, you can see the tail porpoise down as it approached the buck and the arrow floats. I'm convinced the "shoot though" mesh messed it up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I should videotape some shots at a target to see if this is happening a lot, could be I need to adjust the string nocking point.

Or move the blind closer to the feeder.

Or wait until rifle season.

Comment

This is double-edged. It's definitely a downer to not get your deer but it sure is nice to see the reality of hunting...and I agree with you, he was a bit on the "ugly" side.

Comment

Originally posted by mchildress View Post
                      I rather have a clean miss than a bad hit. Great video
                      Yep. I'd blame the mesh too

Comment

you should try putting a chain-on stand in the tree behind you feeder. looks like you would be concealed and closer to your feeder. and you would not have the mesh prob.

Comment

nice video, hopefully you get another shot at him

Comment

Sorry about the miss. But great video

Comment

Great video!!!! You barely missed him. Looked like you would had spine him if he wouldn't of jump the string.

Comment

Working...
                              X