No announcement yet.

Not a nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate it everybody! We will make it and are not as bad off as some people, i am very thankful for that!

The water is dropping quickly. All of us stayed in mom and dad's garage apartment last night. The tough part is going to be prying them away from here today. As soon as the water goes down enough I hope to get them downstairs to look at the damage. Thats going to be tough!!!

Things are looking up though, the water is dropping and the sun is shining! We also just got a wade in delivery of donuts and kolaches from my brother! I hope everybody else that is affected situation is looking up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
      Man, I dont have any answers for you, as usual. But I am so sorry it got you too! What a nightmare! I know everyone says its just stuff, and it is, but its stuff accumulated for over a lifetime. Memories. Its cliche' but if you need anything let me know, for real. Call or text anytime, day or night.
      Thanks Mike! I really hope we still have a deer lease left! It would be nice to have a place to get away from this mess when I can. Hopefully you or somebody can get there and Check on it soon. I'm not really worried about the stands but hope the trailers are still okay

Comment

doug,

My cousin had water just underneath the light switch in Katrina. So, just a little more then you.

I'll shoot him an email and see what he was able to salvage.

Where he was, the water drained out the same way it came in. Out the gaps in the holes in the leave.

I know several of his guns have had to be restored. He wasn't able to get to them for about 21 days, so they sat in the safe rusting.

I think once the water clears out, if you're able to get back in, I'd pull those out and clean up asap.

I know some of his power equipment, he and my Uncle rebuilt. But I'll have to check on the other power tools.

Prayer sent for you and your family.

Comment

I am so sorry.. just for purposes of knowing the area this is that is so devastated you posted pics .. where are you located?

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping it's not all ruined!

We live in Humble just north of houston

Comment

So sorry to hear this, Doug! Prayers sent your way! I am very glad that you and your family were able to find a dry place to wait it out.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                Thanks for the info. I'm hoping it's not all ruined!

We live in Humble just north of houston
                I have no real experience with this. But for the guns I personally would buy several 1 gal cans of WD40. Remove stocks, scopes etc, spray off all the crud with water ( assuming gthey are still wet ) then try to blow off/out as much water as possible then somehow completely submerge them in WD40. Of course, if you have time you could dissassemble them all and douse them in it and clean them right now, but I bet you have plenty of other things to do to take up your time right now.

Comment

Prayers for you and your Parents, Doug. I can't imagine how this would be.

Comment

Man that's just beyond horrible. What a nightmare.

I'm sure sorry your family has to go through this.

As for the guns:

- First, get a bunch of Rem-Oil or the equivalent with a bunch of clean, dry rags and several screwdrivers with various sized tips. Also rustle up Philips and Torx wrenches. Most scope mounts and bases take a T-15 Torx if they were recently manufactured.

- Remove the stocks from the metal.

- Remove the recoil pads, which are generally held on by two screws, top and bottom, through slits in the pad. Grease your screwdriver so you don’t tear the rubber on the pad. Also unscrew the sling swivel studs so there is no metal attached to the wood.
                    Bolt action rifles are held together by two or sometimes three screws going the trigger guard/bottom metal and these need to be carefully unscrewed so as not to burr them. (If you do burr them tell everyone your buddy did it.)

- Take the barred action and bottom metal out of the stock and remove the bolt from the action.

- Remove the scope, rings, and mounts from the top of the receiver. Make sure you look at the orientation of everything ( take a picture with your phone) so everything goes back in the same place.

- Set the stock aside to dry completely and disassemble the action and bolt as far as you feel comfortable with. If you have any questions please call me at the shop, I will be in and out -- my place took some water, and I am dragging stuff to the curb. My guns and ammo survived dry as I set them as high as I could, I guess this is a hint to me from the Lord that it is time to get some new furniture.

- Shotguns generally have the butt attached by a through-bolt you get to by removing the recoil pad. Some have a hex head on the stock bolt as well as a screwdriver slot. It is better to use a ratchet, socket and extension to remove these rather than a flathead screwdriver. If you use a socket, check to see if the hex head is inch or metric. If the gun is not made in the US, it is probably metric. Don’t forget to look to be sure there isn’t a screw or screws holding on the trigger guard on over/unders.

- Pumps and semi-autos generally have the trigger mechanism held in by one or two push pins through the receiver. These are meant to be pushed out, it doesn’t matter right-to-left or left-to-right. If you can, remove the bolt and slide. The fore-arm on pumps needs to be removed but you need a special spanner.
                    I will be happy to do it if you come by the shop, but call first, as I am in and out.

A word about WD-40. It will drive water off great but if you leave it on, the carrier will evaporate and leave a gummy residue which will bind up the mechanism if it is not removed. So if you do use it ,do so on a disassembled gun and either wipe or blow it off with compressed air. DO NOT USE WD-40 ON AMMO AS IT WILL KILL THE PRIMERS.

Clean the bore and chambers as if you had fired the gun. If the gun has a tubular magazine you need to clean it too or it will rust and seize up. Clean any magazine by disassembling it and oiling.

Comment

Thanks for the gun advice. I just got out for the first time and went to get cleaning stuff. Line was very long and they were only letting a few in at a time. Maybe tomorrow I can get supplies to do it. Water is down now and I'm going to try and get the guns and tools in a little bit.

Things are getting better but extremely overwhelming at this point! We are still in better shape than a lot of folks and i am thankful for that. We are praying for all affected and especially for the officers family and friends!

Comment

Prayers for you and your family.

Comment

Dang Doug!! I was at my office this morning on Wilson at 1960 and when I drove by the church behind your house, I knew it was gonna be bad at your place... My buddy who used to live down on Dogwood (closer to the river than you), got a pic from his old neighbor... water was up to the eaves of their house there!! I just cannot imagine that much water! I am so sorry this happened to you! I'd be happy to help you with cleaning and restoring your guns. Just let me know.

Gives me that knot in the gut! Again, I'm so sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Dang Doug!! I was at my office this morning on Wilson at 1960 and when I drove by the church behind your house, I knew it was gonna be bad at your place... My buddy who used to live down on Dogwood (closer to the river than you), got a pic from his old neighbor... water was up to the eaves of their house there!! I just cannot imagine that much water! I am so sorry this happened to you! I'd be happy to help you with cleaning and restoring your guns. Just let me know.

Gives me that knot in the gut! Again, I'm so sorry!
                            Thanks Charlie! I'm still in shock! The guns are a problem. They need help and I know I wont have the time or the equipment to deal with the it right now. Im not good at asking or accepting help but if you or somebody in the area wants to help with them ill take it. They arent fancy but they deserve to be saved. A couple of them are very important to me! My grandfather's guns from way back. I have albums of him with those guns and stuff he killed. Thankfully the pictures were on a high shelf.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Doug, you still have the same cell phone since you were such a big help to me and my family years ago? I'll be in humble in the morning... I'll come by and pick up your guns and get to work on 'em right away! Where are they located? You can PM me if you want...
                              We'll take care of this!

Comment

Exhausted but can't sleep. A few good things happened today!

I got my mom and dad over to my brothers. They are doing pretty good!

Found A few things at both houses that didn't get wet!

A TBH friend was able to check our lease in Victoria for damage and our trailers survived! Thanks again Glen!

I think another TBH'er is going to help me get my mule back in order. It was completely submerged!

Overall it was a positive day! The water is gone and real work start tomorrow! Now if i can just sleep!
                                Last edited by doug; 08-30-2017, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X