No announcement yet.

Best steak cut. You're probably wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marbeled ribeye nothing but sea salt and coarse pepper, 1.5 inches thick... 500 degree pit 1.5 minutes each side then off! Perfection !

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post

What I will say is be it a sirloin, ribeye, or filet if it is cooked past medium rare it is over cooked
      This. OP...try it like this and thank us later.

Comment

Need to try medium rare. Makes for a more flavorful ribeye.

Comment

I grill steaks about once a week. Typically a choice filet medium rare. A light coat of olive oil with coarse black pepper and sea salt. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
            Have not found a better steak than one I can cook at home.

Your home steak should be the best. You just have to concentrate on one piece of meat and can cook at season it to your specific liking watching it like a hawk. Restaurants have 20 plus steaks going at a time in some cases and can't devote the time you can to your one piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
              My wife prefers a filet and I prefer a ribeye. Usually the filet is tender and leaner. Ribeye usually is fatter and more flavorful. I like my steak rare to medium rare. Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorites for a everyday cheaper end steak place. A few good ones in Houston but my favorite is Taste of Texas
              My favorite steak is the Prime Ribey cooked Smedium Rare on my pit over Mesquite Coals. Now, having said that, I just had the 2nd best Ribeye ever at Ramble Creek around the corner from you in Richmond off Grand Parkway. I've eaten steak from Texas to Montana to N.Y.. Anything over Medium Rare and you are ruining a steak.

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                Okay, just went to my favorite steak restaurant and ordered my favorite steak cut and temp to have it cooked to. Delicious as usual. EXCEPT, my wife decided to try something new and it totally blew my mind! But, before I get to the point, here's a little history about my steak upbringing. As far as I can remember, my father would always grill every Sunday. It was seven cut steak from the butcher with their own seasoning over charcoal. Well done. Meat always had to be well done. Otherwise we would get worms, according to mom. This was an El Paso tradition since I was a little kid. Then one day for prom we all went to Cattlemans. A well known steak place in El Paso. To my surprise there was no seven steak on the menu. All other kinds of cuts except for seven. What the heck?! The waiter recommended something called a ribeye so I went ahead and ordere that. Well done, of course. Well holy hellz if that wasn't the biggest cut I've ever seen. "This", I said to myself, "is what rich people eat". lol. Anyway, a few years after that I moved to San Antonio (thank god) and me and my girlfriend decided to go to a steak restaurant (we were poor and just started working decent jobs). We went to a restaurant named Texas Road House. Man! We were living it up! I saw that they had ribeye on the menu and I decided to plunge since we could now afford a little more in our budget. Well done, of course. My girlfriend at the time ordered the same cut except she ordered it medium. "Are you crazy?! You wanna get worms?!" The waiter explained that all steaks were cooked to at least around 135-140 making the steak completely safe. Well, I didn't take any chances. When out food came out, her steak was the most juices steak I had ever seen. But, nonthenless, I ate mine. At the end, she offered me a bite and promised that I would not get worms. "Fine", I said, and I took a bite. Oh my god!! It was heaven!! What the heck have I've been doing to steak my whole life? I've literally burned off all the flavor out of my steaks!! From then on, medium ribeye it was for me. I've been having the same cut and temp now for over 15 years. About two years ago I tried the prime rib and it was also amazing. I'll order that every once in a while. So, here in SA, I've been to many a steak restaurants, but my altimeter favorite is Saltgrass. They just make a dang fine steak. So, tonight the wife and I went to our local steak house and I ordered the same as usual. Pats ribeye, medium, with a side of brussel sprouts. My wife usually also orders the same except this tonight. This time she ordered the filet. "Why?" I asked. "Because she wanted to try something new". Fair enough. She ordered it medium as well. Our plates got to our table and I egain to devour my steak. I asked my wife how her strak was and she said it was better than the ribeye. I almost threaded her with a divorce! But, I had to try it. And be known to me, it was amazing! It was just as good as a ribeye but just a bit more flavor. I think it was more meat flavorful because it was a lean cut. But I enjoy the marbling on a rib eye. What do you prefer and why?
                For a special occasion, you should try Kirby’s prime steakhouse in San Antonio. It’s located at 123 N Loop 1604 Just West of Hwy 281

Comment

Rib-eye or NY Strip, depends on what I'm in the mood for. Either salt and pepper or Espresso Chili rub. Cooked rare.

Comment

Medium rare ribeye is primero. Fillet or tenderloin is a close second. Nothing ever over medium rare though.

Comment

I grill ribeyes at home rare-medium rare. My favorite is the tomahawk ribeye cooked medium rare from Eddie V’s in Ft. Worth. A cup of lobster bisque, the tomahawk with sides makes me fat and happy during the evening and miserable later that night!

Comment

I'll cook a 10-12 oz filet with a good coffee rub. The family moans when eating them. Oh, and medium rare for all of us including the kids.

Comment

Not a fillet guy myself ( their great but not my choice). Rib eye, t bone, club, sirloin all great. Simple salt & pepper mostly. Med-rare if ordering. If I cook it rare. Past medium is ruined and I don’t send food back often/ever, except in this situation. “You can take this back”

Comment

picanya cut with course salt and course pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                              Okay, just went to my favorite steak restaurant and ordered my favorite steak cut and temp to have it cooked to. Delicious as usual. EXCEPT, my wife decided to try something new and it totally blew my mind! But, before I get to the point, here's a little history about my steak upbringing. As far as I can remember, my father would always grill every Sunday. It was seven cut steak from the butcher with their own seasoning over charcoal. Well done. Meat always had to be well done. Otherwise we would get worms, according to mom. This was an El Paso tradition since I was a little kid. Then one day for prom we all went to Cattlemans. A well known steak place in El Paso. To my surprise there was no seven steak on the menu. All other kinds of cuts except for seven. What the heck?! The waiter recommended something called a ribeye so I went ahead and ordere that. Well done, of course. Well holy hellz if that wasn't the biggest cut I've ever seen. "This", I said to myself, "is what rich people eat". lol. Anyway, a few years after that I moved to San Antonio (thank god) and me and my girlfriend decided to go to a steak restaurant (we were poor and just started working decent jobs). We went to a restaurant named Texas Road House. Man! We were living it up! I saw that they had ribeye on the menu and I decided to plunge since we could now afford a little more in our budget. Well done, of course. My girlfriend at the time ordered the same cut except she ordered it medium. "Are you crazy?! You wanna get worms?!" The waiter explained that all steaks were cooked to at least around 135-140 making the steak completely safe. Well, I didn't take any chances. When out food came out, her steak was the most juices steak I had ever seen. But, nonthenless, I ate mine. At the end, she offered me a bite and promised that I would not get worms. "Fine", I said, and I took a bite. Oh my god!! It was heaven!! What the heck have I've been doing to steak my whole life? I've literally burned off all the flavor out of my steaks!! From then on, medium ribeye it was for me. I've been having the same cut and temp now for over 15 years. About two years ago I tried the prime rib and it was also amazing. I'll order that every once in a while. So, here in SA, I've been to many a steak restaurants, but my altimeter favorite is Saltgrass. They just make a dang fine steak. So, tonight the wife and I went to our local steak house and I ordered the same as usual. Pats ribeye, medium, with a side of brussel sprouts. My wife usually also orders the same except this tonight. This time she ordered the filet. "Why?" I asked. "Because she wanted to try something new". Fair enough. She ordered it medium as well. Our plates got to our table and I egain to devour my steak. I asked my wife how her strak was and she said it was better than the ribeye. I almost threaded her with a divorce! But, I had to try it. And be known to me, it was amazing! It was just as good as a ribeye but just a bit more flavor. I think it was more meat flavorful because it was a lean cut. But I enjoy the marbling on a rib eye. What do you prefer and why?
                              Wife and kids out of town? Boss woulda said your were lonely

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Your home steak should be the best. You just have to concentrate on one piece of meat and can cook at season it to your specific liking watching it like a hawk. Restaurants have 20 plus steaks going at a time in some cases and can't devote the time you can to your one piece.
                                Totally agree on the home steaks. Can devote time to it and pamper it just the way I like. We only cook NY strips any more, and on an outdoor griddle, not a GRILL, only seasoned with kosher salt and course black pepper. Seared till a good char on both sides but still Medium on the inside. Same with filets.
                                We used to cook only ribeyes but compared to a NY strip, they just have too much fat in them, love the marbling though.

Comment

Working...
                                X