Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might have a rod or twelve........��

Comment

A couple of me and my younger brother yesterday.

Comment

You don't hear much about fly fishing in Colorado during the winter months. But it can be pretty good, even on some of the freestone rivers during warmer periods. This trip started off with plans to primarily fish the Frying Pan below Ruedi. A quick trip by the local flyshop to get my license, some last minute flies and a quick rapport with the shop manager on how the fishing has been. Plans quickly changed when I heard how good the Fork has been fishing. I decided to go ahead and check out the Fork as I only had half a day to fish. I was glad to be on the water and even happier to be on the Fork after just a few drifts I was already hooked up with a feisty brown. The rest of the afternoon found steady action with the fish taking either an egg or the small dropper. For the dropper I mixed it up between small 20-22 pheasant tails, rojo midges, and foam wing emergers. Even though it was snowing fairly heavily the fish didn't mind. Anywhere you found slack water you could count on some fish being there. The sky started getting dark fast and the day ended to quickly, but it was a good way to start the trip.

Rest of Day 1

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Flicker View Post
          Headed to Montana in June for 8 day of fly fishing.
          Where in Montana are you going to fish. Which rivers?

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
          Where ya headin? Went twice this year and am going back in march next year.sure is a blast!
          Ditto. Which rivers in Montana?

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
          You don't hear much about fly fishing in Colorado during the winter months. But it can be pretty good, even on some of the freestone rivers during warmer periods. This trip started off with plans to primarily fish the Frying Pan below Ruedi. A quick trip by the local flyshop to get my license, some last minute flies and a quick rapport with the shop manager on how the fishing has been. Plans quickly changed when I heard how good the Fork has been fishing. I decided to go ahead and check out the Fork as I only had half a day to fish. I was glad to be on the water and even happier to be on the Fork after just a few drifts I was already hooked up with a feisty brown. The rest of the afternoon found steady action with the fish taking either an egg or the small dropper. For the dropper I mixed it up between small 20-22 pheasant tails, rojo midges, and foam wing emergers. Even though it was snowing fairly heavily the fish didn't mind. Anywhere you found slack water you could count on some fish being there. The sky started getting dark fast and the day ended to quickly, but it was a good way to start the trip.
          Dang! I'll bet your rod guides froze up ...not to mention your (San Juan) worm!

Comment

Burnadell, it was a little cold this morning. even the fish would start forming ice on them within just a few moments of taking them out of the water.

More Pics of Day 2

Friday morning started off extremely cold on the Pan. Air temps at 6 degrees and a fairly swift wind had the wind chill in the negatives. It was beyond cold, I sprayed the rod guides with some pam cooking spray to help minimize water freezing up in the guides. It didn't help much, at those temps everything freezes instantly. I fished the flats and it was loaded with fish. A lot of spawning fish to avoid but plenty of fish staging behind them eating eggs and small jujubee midges. The fish kept the blood warm for a little bit but after a few hours the hands just got to cold. Your typical vampire movie shows scenes of vampires being killed and turning to stone and then just crumbling to pieces. That's how my hands and fingers felt, like solid pieces of glass just waiting to be shattered with the slightest bump. I remember setting the hook on one fish just for the rod to fly out of hand as I had no feeling or touch to keep control. Lucky the rod fell into the crease of my elbow and not in the water and I was still able to land the fish. A nice 18" cuttbow with beautiful colors from feeding on mysis shrimp. I had plans to spend all day up there. I looked at the toilet bowl but fishing an area the size of your average swimming pool with 4 other guys didn't really appeal to me. Eventually the cold and frozen guides got to me and I decided to call it a day early. It was around 11 am and still 17 degrees. I decided to head back to the valley of the Fork were the temps were warmer and the fishing just as good. I finished the day up there, the fishing was slower than the day before but 30 degree temps were a whole lot more manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
              Burnadell, it was a little cold this morning. even the fish would start forming ice on them within just a few moments of taking them out of the water.

More Pics of Day 2

Friday morning started off extremely cold on the Pan. Air temps at 6 degrees and a fairly swift wind had the wind chill in the negatives. It was beyond cold, I sprayed the rod guides with some pam cooking spray to help minimize water freezing up in the guides. It didn't help much, at those temps everything freezes instantly. I fished the flats and it was loaded with fish. A lot of spawning fish to avoid but plenty of fish staging behind them eating eggs and small jujubee midges. The fish kept the blood warm for a little bit but after a few hours the hands just got to cold. Your typical vampire movie shows scenes of vampires being killed and turning to stone and then just crumbling to pieces. That's how my hands and fingers felt, like solid pieces of glass just waiting to be shattered with the slightest bump. I remember setting the hook on one fish just for the rod to fly out of hand as I had no feeling or touch to keep control. Lucky the rod fell into the crease of my elbow and not in the water and I was still able to land the fish. A nice 18" cuttbow with beautiful colors from feeding on mysis shrimp. I had plans to spend all day up there. I looked at the toilet bowl but fishing an area the size of your average swimming pool with 4 other guys didn't really appeal to me. Eventually the cold and frozen guides got to me and I decided to call it a day early. It was around 11 am and still 17 degrees. I decided to head back to the valley of the Fork were the temps were warmer and the fishing just as good. I finished the day up there, the fishing was slower than the day before but 30 degree temps were a whole lot more manageable.
              You are a sick man, Kemosabe!!!

Comment

here here! I surf fly fish in Big Shell, I handmake a 6" Chartreuse Clouser Minnow. on the second sandbar of my honey hole I can limit out pretty quick. just be sure not to have a bondfire out there, the coastguard don't think kindly of it.

Comment

New (sort of) fly fisherman here. I have used some cheapie setups in the past, the pre packaged deal at academy with line and flies for less than 50 buck, and actually caught my second best bass on one of them. Been a hectic few years and the wife and I are going to relax and enjoy things more, one of those things for me being fly fishing. First puzzle piece showed up last night from Allen fly fishing. This thing is beautiful. Fit and finish is flawless, customer service was great, and it was a steal with the Allen bucks promotion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452689592.590297.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	24424662

Comment

Day 3 started off fishing a new location on the Fork. A steep snowed covered trail leading down to the river made for some excitement, good thing for studded wading boots. The fishing started off slow, but the sun was out and it was a beautiful morning to be on the river. Generally speaking it is best to fish shadows as that is were the fish will be lying. In cold weather and water fish will normally move up into the sunny shallows to get some warmth from the sun. I rolled 2 really good rainbows that quickly shook the hook. Was able to land one nice brown. I think this spot will be really good in the summer and fall. With the deep water and long runs it should hold some really nice fish. After mid morning I changed locations. Just a few drifts at the new location I hooked and landed a really nice 19-20" rainbow. The fish on the Fork are some of the prettiest rainbows I've seen. For the rest of the afternoon a steadily picked up fish. Most taking a peach egg over the dropper midge. The fishing was regularly interrupted by a flock of geese, mallards or goldeneye's flying over head.

More of Day 3

Comment

My Dad, NOT MY OLD MAN (RIP), started me flyin' when I was about 8...MANY years ago. Something those who may be new to the sport don't realize...it's just not just Trout! Between trips to NM or Colorado, I would go with DAD to the numerous "playa" lakes in Lubbock and catch Bluegill, Perch and yes...Bass who loved the "white" spiders I used.

IMO, it's all in your technique in knowing what you can manage in distance casts and working the action of your bait. Posted before, but I still have my 2 rods and reels...they are 50+ years old! I have 2 clients who bought river property from me that I've promised to "school" on technique....amazed at the costs of equipment these days! Hell of a lot more fun than sitting and watching a cork...of course, IMO.

Comment

My mom on her first trip ever.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                          My mom on her first trip ever.
                          Wow bub. Where are they at. Looks like a blast

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
                            Wow bub. Where are they at. Looks like a blast
                            I'll ask her....her and Dave went during a road trip vacation. Pretty awesome huh.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                              New (sort of) fly fisherman here. I have used some cheapie setups in the past, the pre packaged deal at academy with line and flies for less than 50 buck, and actually caught my second best bass on one of them. Been a hectic few years and the wife and I are going to relax and enjoy things more, one of those things for me being fly fishing. First puzzle piece showed up last night from Allen fly fishing. This thing is beautiful. Fit and finish is flawless, customer service was great, and it was a steal with the Allen bucks promotion.

[ATTACH]767918[/ATTACH]
                              Big fan of Allen fly fishing. That's a sweet reel

Comment

Nice fish!!!! She even lost a nail fighting it

Comment

Working...
                                X