Snake Questions/Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake Questions/Opinions

What can a Rattler/Cotton Mouth/Copper Head bite through? I have never owned a pair of snake boots, I have always wore Lacrosse(La Grange) rubber boots or my leather work boots when I am in the woods. What are your chances of venom in you with these type boots on? When is it cold enough that a snake cant really move, because this year I have read about people getting bit just days after we had a freeze. What do y'all think?

$150 worth of insurance is priceless

Medical bills alone can exceed $25,000 not counting the risk of losing an extremity

Comment

I've seen them out in colder weather than you'd expect. I've seen snakes laying out sunning in every month of the year. 40 and below I'd say you're pretty safe. Once it gets up into the 70's long enough for them to come out on a regular basis it can be 50 and as long as the sun is shining you could find them laying out. They won't be far from their den but it's not uncommon by any means.

They can't strike through regular ol' leather work boots. Where they'll get you is striking high. I don't have any experience with rubber boots and snakes. But I bet you you're more likely to get bit and have a snake get hung up on those. My brother worked with a guy that got hit by a rattlesnake on the lip of the sole on his work boots. The fangs sunk in,he ran and the snake went with him.
      Last edited by okrattler; 03-04-2018, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Rubber boots, you should be safe

With the work boots, like Blake said, high strike is likely to get you

Comment

I will get a pair of snake boots this year, I will most likely get the Justin snake boots..

Comment

I have kilt a few snakes with frost on the ground, and usually where some snake boots but like said above it's probably good insurance

Comment

Originally posted by Grittydog View Post
              What can a Rattler/Cotton Mouth/Copper Head bite through? I have never owned a pair of snake boots, I have always wore Lacrosse(La Grange) rubber boots or my leather work boots when I am in the woods. What are your chances of venom in you with these type boots on? When is it cold enough that a snake cant really move, because this year I have read about people getting bit just days after we had a freeze. What do y'all think?
              I got bit in the left calf while turkey hunting in Alabama by a five foot Timber Rattler. Hit was 2" below top of Lacrosse Grange rubber boots. One fang sunk in the calf, other hung up between rubber boot and meat. So yes, a rattler will go thru a rubber boot and into yer leg like a hot knife thru warm butter.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                Rubber boots, you should be safe

With the work boots, like Blake said, high strike is likely to get you
                really, REALLY, bad advise. see my other post....

Comment

I picked up the Lacrosse Aerohead snake boots and have liked them. Good to cover both the snake boot and rubber boot needs.

Proof that comfort and snake bite protection can co-exist. The AeroHead Sport completely changes what a rubber hunting boot can be by replacing the rubber shell with one made of extremely durable, lightweight and insulating polyurethane. Designed for optimal fit and flexibility, the waterproof AeroHead Sport is built for ultimate comfort and will keep you light on your feet. Its Brush Tuff material stands up to unforgiving brush and briers while an abrasion resistant shin guard offers extra protection without added bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                    really, REALLY, bad advise. see my other post....
                    Well I stand corrected and not feeling as safe as I thought I was with heavy rubber boots on

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      $150 worth of insurance is priceless

Medical bills alone can exceed $25,000 not counting the risk of losing an extremity
                      I have gotten in the habit of wearing my snake boots so much, I feel naked without them on. Mine are as comfortable as just about any other boot I own.

Even if a pair cost $500, it would be well worth the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                        I've seen them out in colder weather than you'd expect. I've seen snakes laying out sunning in every month of the year. 40 and below I'd say you're pretty safe. Once it gets up into the 70's long enough for them to come out on a regular basis it can be 50 and as long as the sun is shining you could find them laying out. They won't be far from their den but it's not uncommon by any means.

They can't strike through regular ol' leather work boots. Where they'll get you is striking high. I don't have any experience with rubber boots and snakes. But I bet you you're more likely to get bit and have a snake get hung up on those. My brother worked with a guy that got hit by a rattlesnake on the lip of the sole on his work boots. The fangs sunk in,he ran and the snake went with him.
                        This^^^^^

Most snake bites are just above the top of the shoe/boot. Pit vipers need a heat source to trigger a strike, but I've found you can over ride this triggering device by standing or stepping on them. Wet blue jeans or wet hunting pants, and snake boots, will not show them a heat source, therefore no strike.

Many times I've heated the tip of my broadhead and held it in front of a water moccasin that's under 2.5 foot long. They never miss and the broadhead splits their head wide open. Four blades work better than two blades.
                        Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                          I got bit in the left calf while turkey hunting in Alabama by a five foot Timber Rattler. Hit was 2" below top of Lacrosse Grange rubber boots. One fang sunk in the calf, other hung up between rubber boot and meat. So yes, a rattler will go thru a rubber boot and into yer leg like a hot knife thru warm butter.
                          Was it a dry bite, did the fangs break?

The Canebreak/Timber Rattlesnake has larger and thicker fangs than any other pit viper in the US. Plain rubber boots would give better protection against a Western Diamondback, their fangs are more fragile.

Comment

You are fine with leather boots but I've never been hit wearing rubber boots. Always wanted to experiment with them though.
                            As has been said already, the low tops of the boots is the issue.
                            I never got struck above the boot top while wearing cowboy boots but I know those who I worked with did but the fangs hung up in the jeans and never made it to the flesh.
                            Me posing for a strike. I'd already been hit probably 50 times that day.

Comment

Been running around in snake country since I was knee high to a grasshopper, the only time I've been close to being bit was when I was putting myself in harms way raiding snake dens and such. I will wear snake boots when doing spot and stalk or walking in dark or near dark. Otherwise you train yourself to look for snakes, thorns, and other natural booby traps while walking, it's not hard just have to think about it until you do it without thinking about it. I would also wear protection if I traveled to hunt regions east of here, I'm not practiced at spotting copperheads and the terrain they live in.
                              Last edited by tex4k; 03-04-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X