mud bugs boiled in clean unseasoned water = the best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat side up, or fat side down?! LOL

I'm doing a sack this weekend, may have to give this a try!

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
      Mustard on crawfish? sorry but sounds disgusting. seems everyone wants to put their own twist and make boiling crawfish really fancy when its really a very simple process once you get the technique down of boil time and seasoning ratio.
      Im with this feller!

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
        Fat side up, or fat side down?! LOL

I'm doing a sack this weekend, may have to give this a try!

Let us know how they turn out.

Comment

I'm going to ask another dumb question, but does leaving them in the seasoned water after cooking them cause them to get soggy? Maybe I've just gotten some chitty crawfish in the past, but I swore that if they sat in the water for too long after boiling they started falling apart.

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
            My 2 cents-

If you're doing several boils, this is a good way to do volumes of crawfish - but for the weekend warrior that is just boiling one pot, you should just kill the boil as soon as the crawfish are cooked by shutting off the fire and adding ice to the pot. (This does 2 things - prevents overcooking and helps the meat absorb the flavors.) Frozen 2 liter Coke bottles are nice because they don't dilute the boil water. If not - make sure you compensate for the dilution by just adding ice directly to the pot. You can also hose down the pot to bring down the temp fast.

Either way -When you add the seasoning to the pot isn't important at all as long as it's there when you kill boil and start the soaking. Goes for shrimp too.
            I do very similar, I don't let them get back up to boiling, kind of let them start foaming then turn off the gas, spray the pot with water hose and then add frozen corn to get the temperature down, soak for about 30 minutes.
            Last edited by Coullion; 03-24-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Mouth is watering! Looks great

Comment

I am game for anything new. My question is when you have a big boil say 10 bags do you have to replensh your seasoned cooler and if so how often?

Comment

Good seasoning and spice. Varying taste of course.
                  Being able to pinch, pull and eat. No peeling required and the vein stays with the shell.
                  That's the definition of properly cooked crawfish.
                  How you get there doesn't matter and there are several methods that work (and some that don't, lol) as long as they taste and eat good.
                  If I have to peel them, the cook made a mistake somewhere during the process

Comment

You ever read a thread almost a year old and get ready to post then run across your old post? Well I did that on this thread and my thought was the same back then so it saved me the typing. I also must have been drunk cause I don't remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                      The mustard trick must be from good ol boys here in Katy. They are very good.
                      Exactly what I was thinking! Had some Friday.

They are located at 1463 and I-10. Opposite side of I-10 from the TSC and Katy High School.
                      Last edited by captainsling; 03-24-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Sounds good. Interesting!

Comment

So 5lbs of ice will cool it down enough ? I just don't understand that part. Your going from 212+!

Comment

Sounds and look delicious! Gotta try it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by berto View Post
                              So 5lbs of ice will cool it down enough ? I just don't understand that part. Your going from 212+!
                              No, it wont.

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                                I am game for anything new. My question is when you have a big boil say 10 bags do you have to replensh your seasoned cooler and if so how often?
                                X2

Comment

Working...
                                X