Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
bcj jones
Four Point

Default Deer lease. Is it worth it?

I know this is merely opinion and everyone will be different, but I wanted to ask anyways. The only reason this property has any value to me is because it is 5 minutes from my house. I can hunt before work sometimes. It's that convenient. Smaller property. 25 acres. Has some good deer action. I saw deer this season just about every time I went out. He lives on the property and honestly I think that helps the deer stay a little more comfortable. It's right outside the city limits and there are some subdivisions in the area, but most of the surrounding properties are larger un-hunted properties. I've seen some decent bucks that I know made it through the season and will have opportunities on those next year. Couple coyotes roam around, owner says there's turkey and ive seen plenty of pigs for the off season. The only draw-backs are two things. The price and the livestock. There are 3 horses and two cows that like to mess with the feeders and hang out around the feeders. They tend to scare deer off and have on quite a few occasions this year. I think I can manage that this summer and build some pens to block them off from the hunting areas. I asked him to factor the trouble I had in this year with them and he didn't budge much. I can either split the price with another hunter, which is what I did this year, or I can pay the full price and hunt it by myself. $2200 is what he is asking. Definitely on the high side and a much smaller place, the convenience and deer activity level are the only thing keeping me interested. I have a chance at a couple good sized bucks and plenty of doe. I have a younger family so driving a couple hours to a deer lease would be difficult.

What would y'all do? What would be a counter offer?
bcj jones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

What area is it? Most places in Texas you could join an existing lease for $2200...and have more area to hunt. I don't know that I could bring myself to pay $2200 a year for something that small.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

That's insane. What did you pay last year?

I'd call his bluff and offer $800 But if you really like hunting there then pay up.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

Personally I’d split it with a friend/family member. Convenience is nice, especially with a young family
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Seems extremely high for 25 acres. Maybe you can talk him down in price by doing some work for him on the property? Trading your work and time for hunting rights.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
Turbo6
Four Point

The problem is that somewhere out there someone is paying that much per acre and starts setting the standard.

I would do $1000 since its a nice round number and sounds higher than $999. Plus the convenience factor is nice.
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
lordvader
Four Point

I think $2200 is just bit high for 25 acres. $1000 would be the highest, I would consider, paying for 25 acres, depending on where its at, and if it was an annual lease. Not seasonal. And if I didn't have to deal with livestock. Been there, done that.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
MLank
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I think $2200 is just bit high for 25 acres. $1000 would be the highest, I would consider, paying for 25 acres, depending on where its at, and if it was an annual lease. Not seasonal. And if I didn't have to deal with livestock. Been there, done that.
I agree, $1000 would be the highest. He could possibly squeeze me for a couple hundred more if I was confident I'd have shots at deer.
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
bcj jones
Four Point

I live in Leander and the property is in Liberty hill. I can't seem to find a place within an hour that's less than $3,000 a gun. They are much larger 250-700 acre places though. If I had 3,000 to spend this year I would. Unfortunately I just don't. Next season though. Plus, I know for sure ill have multiple opportunities at some deer. A couple good bucks as well.

Me and another guy paid $1250 a piece this year. It's a yearly access so I can go hunt coyote/pigs/turkey during the year. I knew, and know, it is high I just cant find another place around that price. Especially that close to home. I don't necessarily like hunting the place due to the livestock but i'm afraid I wont find another place within price or distance. I'm going to offer 1000 bucks and if says no he says no. It's almost not worth hunting with another person because its smaller and i'd hate for the other guy to shoot one of the few bucks out there. He's a guy about my age, 30, and I consider him a friend now but he still wants his money lol. He has a huge ranch in panhandle with a lodge that he manages. He said I can hunt that anytime, I just don't have "anytime"

Last edited by bcj jones; 01-14-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
drogers6771
Four Point

Hunt In: Back 50, public

dont know all of the ins and outs, but I dont think that is worth it at all
drogers6771 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
warrenm0624
Spike

Hunt In: Campbellton

The convenience and deer numbers would have me all in.
warrenm0624 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #12
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

If you like the place and don't need more space it's probably worth it depending on why you hunt and motivating factors, 5 minutes from home is a pretty big deal. You could very well get on a $3000 lease and hate it and still have to drive 2 hours back and forth, need a travel trailer or stay in hotels or awkwardly share a bunkhouse, etc. Nothing beats your own bed and being close to home for emergencies or just run home for a sandwich. Me personally probably wouldn't work for me, I like the adventure of the whole thing and probably wouldn't be terribly adventurous 5 mins from the house. I'm a bit far toward that extreme though and only hunt public land right now because of that so FWIW.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #13
Larry
Ten Point

Probably not worth it to most of you, but he'll get what he's asking from someone if not from the OP. It would be worth it to me if the landowner didn't live on the place and if there weren't cows and horses. Tough call, but I doubt he'll accept a "call his bluff" offer.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #14
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties

$2200 for 25 acres.... LOL
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #15
Daniel32
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Kinney County

I'd offer $1500 (which may be high for some) and see what he says. To me there is a lot of value to have a whole place to yourself that's 5 min from the house. You'll be able to hunt it more and save a ton on your fuel bill.

If there are deer in the area, a good chance for you to harvest 1-2 deer yearly, and you have exclusive hunting rights to me that's worth the $1500

Last edited by Daniel32; 01-14-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Daniel32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Split it with someone, build feed pens and enjoy it.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #17
Larry
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
$2200 for 25 acres.... LOL
For every ten guys that laugh at it, there's one that says take my money.

Everyone laughs as small acreage pricing. It's not apples and oranges once you get above 100 acres or so. The smaller the place, the higher the cost per acre to lease goes. It's just the way it is.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #18
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

No way I would consider paying $88/acre for a lease.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #19
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Probably not worth it to most of you, but he'll get what he's asking from someone if not from the OP. It would be worth it to me if the landowner didn't live on the place and if there weren't cows and horses. Tough call, but I doubt he'll accept a "call his bluff" offer.
That can be said for anything.
Graysonhogs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #20
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties

Quote:
For every ten guys that laugh at it, there's one that says take my money.

Everyone laughs as small acreage pricing. It's not apples and oranges once you get above 100 acres or so. The smaller the place, the higher the cost per acre to lease goes. It's just the way it is.
Unless its just a honey hole there are better deals to be found, just have to find them, we picked up a 300 acre place on the bosque river once for $1250 annually, area was pressured but no livestock to deal with, they are out there.

Last edited by bossbowman; 01-14-2019 at 04:05 PM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #21
Larry
Ten Point

Cool story.

I'm constantly looking, tracking down landowners, calling, emailing, etc. Times are changing. Landowners know they can get more. The good deals are slowly becoming a thing of the past, especially five mins from town.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #22
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

I would pay it, put a big 15 to 20 panel pen around your feeder and keep an eye out for another place .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #23
Larry
Ten Point

So far I count...

11 nays
5 yays

So for every two guys that laugh at it, there's one that says take my money.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #24
BW412
Eight Point

I don't know that I would pay the asking price, but there is something to be said about hunting 5 minutes from home. I would try to find a way to make it up to the panhandle for sure if you can hunt it anytime. Good luck!
BW412 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #25
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

That's a decision only you can make. If it were me under similar circumstances, I'd find a way to be on this lease, either by myself or with someone else, if that's something y'all can work out. If you find something farther out for less money, you still have to figure in expenses for gasoline and for starting up on a new place. I know it's been mentioned that you could offer to do work. You could also offer him some sausage or other meat in exchange for some of the costs.

Last edited by El Viejo; 01-14-2019 at 04:40 PM.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #26
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

I would pay it for the convenience and having it to myself. That close to home would be nice.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #27
Dillakilla
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County

I think you have already decided by the way you originally defended the high cost of small acrage with all the benifits its providing.
I say being that close to home so you can actually use it with a young family and youve stated you def have shots at deer and hogs regularly then its a go.
Dont get wrapped up with the fact its a small place as long as your seeing wildlife.
If YOU feel its a good deal then its a good deal!!
Dillakilla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #28
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Lots of folks only get 1 stand on their lease. If the other places aren't hunted and are wooded just convince yourself that's your 1 spot on a bigger piece of property.
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #29
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

In a heart beat
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #30
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Honestly, convenience is not worth that much.
I hunt 400 ac in the hill.country and only pay 1800 for year round everyrhing.
Typically over paying a little for something is much better than having nothing. But, that's way to much.

Last edited by flywise; 01-14-2019 at 04:52 PM.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #31
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenm0624 View Post
The convenience and deer numbers would have me all in.
Ditto!
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #32
bcj jones
Four Point

I really appreciate all the input! It really has helped weigh my options. Some things I didn't initially consider were the fuel costs in addition to the extra time needed to maintain a place/feeder further away from home. Gas can really add up when driving an hour plus one way to maintain feeders. The thought of a larger place is great, but knowing that some guys only get one or two stands at the most in those places doesn't really add much value. I have two spots on this property, one on the north side and one on the south, that both neighbor to larger properties. I know deer bed down on the other side of the fences. They hit the feeder 10 minutes after it goes off. Deer come from across the road too. I like the idea of pretending the neighboring properties are mine!

If it weren't for the cows/horses I may not have even made this post. Those little guys can be a pain the butt! With some work though, I can manage them. Plus, having a younger family really does limit my time.

I will keep looking for a couple weeks and if I don't find anything ill go with this place again. If he won't budge on price I may just convince a buddy to go in with me. That'll make the price more tolerable. Im going to shoot out $1500 first and see what he says.

Thanks again for the input! Definitely has helped.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #33
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico - Shackelford - Callahan

A $2200 lease will buy you a lot of headaches in most parts of TX.

Sound like you have a nice spot to hunt - that is very convenient - and doesn't break the bank. Jump on it before you LO goes another direction.

Putting a $/acre on a small hunting property, is comparing apples to oranges.
walker1983 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #34
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
So far I count...

11 nays
5 yays

So for every two guys that laugh at it, there's one that says take my money.
Like those posts matter. Go try and sell anything for 2x what it's worth and you will always have people saying they would buy it....IF.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #35
Larry
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Like those posts matter. Go try and sell anything for 2x what it's worth and you will always have people saying they would buy it....IF.
Those posts DO matter, though when it comes to this subject...because some of those posts are by guys that have and do pay those prices for a small lease close to town.

You and others said you wouldn't. Some said they would. Guess I don't see the point of the continued apples and oranges debate by those who think it's absurd to pay that much for a small lease.

Again for the hard headed nays...

Most won't.

Some of us will.

I rarely overpay for anything. I'm a bargain hunter, matter of fact. A small lease is not something you can compare to just anything for sale.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #36
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

No way I’d pay my friend $2200 to hunt in his backyard with his pets. Matter of fact I’d probably quit calling him my friend. Get on a real lease.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #37
bcj jones
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
No way Iíd pay my friend $2200 to hunt in his backyard with his pets. Matter of fact Iíd probably quit calling him my friend. Get on a real lease.
That's pretty funny!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #38
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Liberty Hill is basically just an extension of Austin. That’s a “proximity to big city with lots of rich folks” fee.

If you’re confident you can shoot a buck and a couple does and enjoy hunting for pigs, etc., I wouldn’t hesitate on it, especially if you’re certain you can’t replace it with a similar situation for less.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #39
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

The 3 horses would kill the deal for me...Those things are a ROYAL pain in the azz when hunting and feeders are involved... And $2200 is just a little much...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #40
stickman
Pope & Young

If that was in hill country village in San Antonio I’d be all over it, Or maybe next to the college in Laredo. That would be just about the only reason to pay that money.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #41
Crazy Horse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj jones View Post
I live in Leander and the property is in Liberty hill. I can't seem to find a place within an hour that's less than $3,000 a gun. They are much larger 250-700 acre places though. If I had 3,000 to spend this year I would. Unfortunately I just don't. Next season though. Plus, I know for sure ill have multiple opportunities at some deer. A couple good bucks as well.

Me and another guy paid $1250 a piece this year. It's a yearly access so I can go hunt coyote/pigs/turkey during the year. I knew, and know, it is high I just cant find another place around that price. Especially that close to home. I don't necessarily like hunting the place due to the livestock but i'm afraid I wont find another place within price or distance. I'm going to offer 1000 bucks and if says no he says no. It's almost not worth hunting with another person because its smaller and i'd hate for the other guy to shoot one of the few bucks out there. He's a guy about my age, 30, and I consider him a friend now but he still wants his money lol. He has a huge ranch in panhandle with a lodge that he manages. He said I can hunt that anytime, I just don't have "anytime"
Bold is the value you can not calculate....
I'd suck it up & pay the price until you find exactly what you want for the price you want...

Trust me, there is going to be someone in your area & in the same boat willing to pay the "un-calculated value" price....
Crazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #42
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

No way I could spend 2200 for 25 acres unless it bordered the King ranch. 2 hunters on 25 acres is insane.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #43
Casey
Administrator

I've seen people pass on a $2500 lease an hour from their house in order to pay $1800 5 hours away. It's pretty simple math and having a place close to the house is worth hundreds of dollars over the ones that require mileage, gas, food to and from, etc.

I would give this pretty serious consideration.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #44
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Some t-posts and 3 or 4 strands of barbed wire will keep the cows and horses out, and not break the bank.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #45
Stuck
Ten Point

Love how everyone laughs at the price. Donít like it. Itís not for you. I hunt several smaller acreages, family land, $2200 wouldnít even get me to look up to lease any of them. The right 25 acres in the right place hunted correctly can be a real honey hole.
Stuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #46
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

$2200 is crazy money for 25 acres. Iím like some of the others, make him an offer and be ready to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #47
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj jones View Post
I know this is merely opinion and everyone will be different, but I wanted to ask anyways. The only reason this property has any value to me is because it is 5 minutes from my house. I can hunt before work sometimes. It's that convenient. Smaller property. 25 acres. Has some good deer action. I saw deer this season just about every time I went out. He lives on the property and honestly I think that helps the deer stay a little more comfortable. It's right outside the city limits and there are some subdivisions in the area, but most of the surrounding properties are larger un-hunted properties. I've seen some decent bucks that I know made it through the season and will have opportunities on those next year. Couple coyotes roam around, owner says there's turkey and ive seen plenty of pigs for the off season. The only draw-backs are two things. The price and the livestock. There are 3 horses and two cows that like to mess with the feeders and hang out around the feeders. They tend to scare deer off and have on quite a few occasions this year. I think I can manage that this summer and build some pens to block them off from the hunting areas. I asked him to factor the trouble I had in this year with them and he didn't budge much. I can either split the price with another hunter, which is what I did this year, or I can pay the full price and hunt it by myself. $2200 is what he is asking. Definitely on the high side and a much smaller place, the convenience and deer activity level are the only thing keeping me interested. I have a chance at a couple good sized bucks and plenty of doe. I have a younger family so driving a couple hours to a deer lease would be difficult.

What would y'all do? What would be a counter offer?
I would hunt public before I paid 2200 for 25 acres
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #48
Anythinghunter8
Eight Point

Hunt In: Flatonia

2200 is high but im sure u would do a lot of hunting on it since it is so close to the house. And family time is important so if u can swing price i would go for it. when kids get bigger then u can get a big lease that is a couple hours away and have fun. u are paying for convenience and that close to your house u could probably even bring the kids for a even hunting and if they are ready to go home just go home u lost nothing.

not going to lie though i would have to sell it to wife and it would be hard!! but instead of being gone all weekend u would just be gone in morning and evening.
Anythinghunter8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #49
WhiskeyTango
Ten Point

Hunt In: Seven Oaks(PolkCounty) Menard, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I would hunt public before I paid 2200 for 25 acres
I would just do a guided Axis buck hunt before I did either lol
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #50
slayr