Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #101
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point
 
Txarrowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 817
Hunt In: Parker county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnylab View Post
I have seen a mountain lion in Parker County. Broad daylight just south of I-20 where the RR crosses near Santa Fe exit in Weatherford. It was 100% a mountain lion and it was NOT black. LOL.
That was probably Sasquatch Iíve seen him cross the tracks a few times while Iím cruising down the interstate.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #102
tef
Ten Point
 
tef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewood
Hunt In: Crowell Tx, Van Zandt Co. Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint knapper View Post
If it was a cat, the scratch marks would more likely be on the side of the animal and not on the top of the rump!
Waiting for any more info!!
Usually they attack like in the pic, from the rear, dragging down both hips to get it on the ground.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #103
tef
Ten Point
 
tef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewood
Hunt In: Crowell Tx, Van Zandt Co. Tx
Default

We had an issue here, friend almost lost her horse from it. Had all the nay sayers like most of you saying it wasn't a cat. Game warden and biologist took one look at the horse and said mountain lion. We tried to trap it, call it in, baited for it, but no luck.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #104
drslonghorn
Six Point
 
drslonghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW
Hunt In: West Texas
Default

No updates on what happened, still a mystery as to what caused the injury. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
drslonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #105
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: old FEMA Trailer House
Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
Usually they attack like in the pic, from the rear, dragging down both hips to get it on the ground.
Who said?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #106
BuckSmasher
Ten Point
 
BuckSmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: All Over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
We had an issue here, friend almost lost her horse from it. Had all the nay sayers like most of you saying it wasn't a cat. Game warden and biologist took one look at the horse and said mountain lion. We tried to trap it, call it in, baited for it, but no luck.
If this thread is any indication can't trust a GW's opinion on anything. I am not 100% sure what caused that mark, looks like another horse to me. But it dang sure wasn't a bobcat.

It is not uncommon for ranchers that live and work outside in Lion country to rarely/never see them, only their tracks. That is a fact. If there are Lions in Parker county you are unlikely to see one except on Game Cam.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #107
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Maybe one was hiding in the bushes while the other snuck up from behind and scratched it. I hope it is ok that's makes me sad.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #108
tef
Ten Point
 
tef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewood
Hunt In: Crowell Tx, Van Zandt Co. Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Who said?
Certainly not you lol.
The biologist and warden that investigated my friends attack.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #109
tef
Ten Point
 
tef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewood
Hunt In: Crowell Tx, Van Zandt Co. Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
If this thread is any indication can't trust a GW's opinion on anything. I am not 100% sure what caused that mark, looks like another horse to me. But it dang sure wasn't a bobcat.

It is not uncommon for ranchers that live and work outside in Lion country to rarely/never see them, only their tracks. That is a fact. If there are Lions in Parker county you are unlikely to see one except on Game Cam.
Nice response lol
tef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #110
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: old FEMA Trailer House
Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
Certainly not you lol.
The biologist and warden that investigated my friends attack.
Game warden and biologist said they attack a horse from the rear end? You ever think that the rear end of a horse is a very dangerous point to attack? Lots of muscles and big hooves to kick you with. Horses got big old necks and big old veins in them necks, if you was gonna snatch up on to horse to kill it what area would you go for.

Here son read up.

https://tpwmagazine.com/nature/media...lion-guide.pdf

Last edited by Radar; 01-10-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #111
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: old FEMA Trailer House
Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Maybe one was hiding in the bushes while the other snuck up from behind and scratched it. I hope it is ok that's makes me sad.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I bet it was them dang bigfeets with rakes
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #112
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

All I know is if someone who didnít know any better read TBH they would think there were mountain lions behind every tree.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #113
Walker
Ten Point
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
All I know is if someone who didnít know any better read TBH they would think there were mountain lions behind every tree.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At least nobody has heard one scream!!
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #114
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
At least nobody has heard one scream!!


ďSounds just like a woman in trouble!Ē


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #115
Worksalot
Ten Point
 
Worksalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Earth
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
ďSounds just like a woman in trouble!Ē


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom lived in a log house in Oregon during part of her childhood. She said it sure was frightening to hear one scream at night real close to the house. Her dad and brothers worked in the forests and at that time the forests were still pretty thick in that area.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #116
Big Bill
Ten Point
 
Big Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Huffman
Default

I think Barb Wire
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #117
tef
Ten Point
 
tef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewood
Hunt In: Crowell Tx, Van Zandt Co. Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Game warden and biologist said they attack a horse from the rear end? You ever think that the rear end of a horse is a very dangerous point to attack? Lots of muscles and big hooves to kick you with. Horses got big old necks and big old veins in them necks, if you was gonna snatch up on to horse to kill it what area would you go for.

Here son read up.

https://tpwmagazine.com/nature/media...lion-guide.pdf
Well shoot, they should have called you son.
After reading the article, it clearly states they rarely attack large livestock, but it can happen. The cat's intent is obviously to get to the neck, however it would be extremely difficult on a large horse, so they try to cripple it to the ground so gain access to the throat. Their horse had multiple deep scratch marks all along its back, hips. It barely survived. Had the owner not heard the commotion and walked outside, it would have killed it. By crushing its throat. Im sure the warden and biologist, and horse owner who all saw the cuts and tracks, and aftermath are wrong, probably making it up. Sorry I infused a little collaboration with the op, he's probably lying too. So continue on dismantling his story since there are so many experts on here. Have a good day.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #118
Roger_Roger
Ten Point
 
Roger_Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: E-Tex
Hunt In: Anderson Co.
Default

I think barn tin. Probably backed up under it, wound gets deeper as it goes up. ?
Roger_Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #119
GoneSouth
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
Well shoot, they should have called you son.
After reading the article, it clearly states they rarely attack large livestock, but it can happen. The cat's intent is obviously to get to the neck, however it would be extremely difficult on a large horse, so they try to cripple it to the ground so gain access to the throat. Their horse had multiple deep scratch marks all along its back, hips. It barely survived. Had the owner not heard the commotion and walked outside, it would have killed it. By crushing its throat. Im sure the warden and biologist, and horse owner who all saw the cuts and tracks, and aftermath are wrong, probably making it up. Sorry I infused a little collaboration with the op, he's probably lying too. So continue on dismantling his story since there are so many experts on here. Have a good day.
I donít doubt your story, but if some deep scratches nearly killed it, it must have been one of them tiny miniature horses
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #120
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Mountain lions only have 4 claws. Can't tell if that small one on the left is a 5th claw mark.


4 primaries + 1 catch claw(inside and above the paw) = 5..






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #121
BuckSmasher
Ten Point
 
BuckSmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: All Over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Roger View Post
I think barn tin. Probably backed up under it, wound gets deeper as it goes up. ?
One of the best guesses so far imo. Hair shaved more than skin cut, barn tin is wavy... I can see that.


Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 12:26 AM   #122
tef
Ten Point
 
tef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewood
Hunt In: Crowell Tx, Van Zandt Co. Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular7 View Post
I donít doubt your story, but if some deep scratches nearly killed it, it must have been one of them tiny miniature horses
Trust me when I tell you, it was a cat. The horse almost died due to the deep cuts, and the trauma. There pieces of hair, hide, and flesh torn off his rear hips, and from mid back the hips. Im not talking scratches, deep gouged cuts, tears. The horse had to be tranquilized for several days. Wounds cleaned and doctored. Several stitches. A lot of swelling and then an infection set in on one of the wounds. I saw the horse, saw the tracks, helped with the horse. Spent many nights hunting, baiting, and trying to call it in. My friend told me what the professionals told him. I'll know next time to get with the people on here first, they seem to know everything lol.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #123
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

I think radar is on to something. Did y'all make a neighbor mad or a deal gone bad. Because it does look like a garden rake scratched it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #124
Skinny
Pope & Young
 
Skinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Forestburg,Tx
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Roger View Post
I think barn tin. Probably backed up under it, wound gets deeper as it goes up. ?


This! But....surely a horse owner would have been looking for something on their property that could have caused this vs crying lion. Lol.


Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #125
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: old FEMA Trailer House
Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
Well shoot, they should have called you son.
After reading the article, it clearly states they rarely attack large livestock, but it can happen. The cat's intent is obviously to get to the neck, however it would be extremely difficult on a large horse, so they try to cripple it to the ground so gain access to the throat. Their horse had multiple deep scratch marks all along its back, hips. It barely survived. Had the owner not heard the commotion and walked outside, it would have killed it. By crushing its throat. Im sure the warden and biologist, and horse owner who all saw the cuts and tracks, and aftermath are wrong, probably making it up. Sorry I infused a little collaboration with the op, he's probably lying too. So continue on dismantling his story since there are so many experts on here. Have a good day.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #126
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: old FEMA Trailer House
Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
This! But....surely a horse owner would have been looking for something on their property that could have caused this vs crying lion. Lol.


Skinny
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com