Dilemmas, dilemmas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemmas, dilemmas!

Background: I’m going to have Clayton at West Texas Ordinance build me a SwitchLug rifle on a Bighorn SR3 action with barrels in 6.5 SAUM and 300wsm, to start with. So, here’s my......

Dilemma 1: Short action or long? If I build it on a short action I’ll be limited to 190gr VLD and 200gr ELDX (or lighter) on the 300wsm - the heavies would require me to build it on a long action. If I build it on a long action it’s going to have its own issues and I lose the advantages of a short action rifle. If I build on a long action it would enable me to build any of the bigger .30’s (300wm, 30 Nosler, etc) down the road but I couldn’t turn it into a .223 or other smaller rounds. I already own a 300wm so I don’t really NEED to go up in calibers but then I own other rifles so I don’t really NEED to go down either. You see my dilemma??

Dilemma 2: Magazine fed or internal box and hinges floor plate? If I go with a short action and want it to be magazine fed, I’m not sure the upcoming 6.5mm 155gr Berger Elite Hunter bullets MAY not work. If I go with an internal PT&G 3-B mag box, I’ll have plenty of room. Here’s what my GS said, “The current 140 Berger(Hybrid or VLD), the 143 ELD-X, and the 147gr ELD-M can all run properly in an extended AICS type magazine, such as the Accurate Mag AICS WSM model. The .300WSM can also function properly from that same magazine type. However, I do think there would be a slight advantage to the longer internal box (either the Wyatt’s 3.000” or the 3.110” 3-B Bainey mag box from Pacific Tool and Gauge) when using the 155 Berger. Magazine capacity is the same either way at 3 rounds plus 1, so if this rifle is going to be more of a hunting rig I’d look hard at an extended internal box and hinged floorplate. If you think it might become a match gun or get used down the road in a smaller cartridge like 6mm Creedmoor, .243, .223 Rem, etc, then I’d go with an AICS style setup.” Although I’m only hunting and shooting for myself, I’m probably going to do some matches next year. I have a couple other rifles I can use for matches, if I need to (custom 6.5cm and a 6.5cm Tikka CTR) but I’m hesitant to limit myself with this build to being strictly a “hunting” rifle. See my dilemma??

What would YOU choose and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long action. Why. Becuase it opens up the bigger cartridges.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Short action hinged floor plate.

Comment

Why would you be limited to the 190-200 grn bullet on the 300wsm?
        I have the 300wsm and I’m thinking of going 26” barrel on it. I’m building mine as a hybrid mountain rifle/long range rifle. I don’t know a lot about this caliber yet due to the lack of time with it. Looking forward to your comments.

Comment

Long Action because your going to want to run 220gr bullets.

Comment

Short action for the weight savings, and I just prefer how they cycle.

Comment

If you want the bigger pills go long!

Comment

Long action and mag fed.

Comment

It sounds like you will want the LA, mag fed if you have any plan to compete with it. Personally, I like the short action but I have piles of both. The LA will give more freedom for bullet weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                    Why would you be limited to the 190-200 grn bullet on the 300wsm?
                    I have the 300wsm and I’m thinking of going 26” barrel on it. I’m building mine as a hybrid mountain rifle/long range rifle. I don’t know a lot about this caliber yet due to the lack of time with it. Looking forward to your comments.

I’m not sure and I may be reading it wrong but I thought my GS implied that the heavies would be too long. Now, he may have been referring to the length in terms of feeding from a magazine. I’ll have to ask him specifically but here’s what he wrote in one of our emails:

“The 6.5 SAUM/.300 WSM setup is perfectly feasible in a short action, although you will be limited in the WSM to shorter nosed bullets if you want it to feed from a magazine. We have built short action .300WSM's and used the 185gr Berger classic Hunter with very good results, and the 190 VLD or 200gr ELD-X would be suitable options as well. If you want to set it up for shooting 200 grain plus VLD or Hybrid style bullets, it would be best long throated for maximum performance and built on a long action. Of course, on a long action you would also have the option of the other magnum .30's such as the .300 Win Mag and .30 Nosler.”

My guess is, loading (let’s say) a 215gr Berger into a WSM Case without having the base of the bullet down in the powder column would produce a longer round than the short action can handle and certainly longer than a short action magazine would handle. Sure, you could shove the bulletin deep and run a compressed load and you MIGHT find something your rifle liked but that’s about like shoehorning a square peg into a round hole. Not what I’m looking at doing with a custom rifle. I’ll email him and ask, though. Maybe Blake will chime in soon and clarify.

Comment

Here's where I am on my setup and should help your decision.

300WSM .200 free bore, all bullets .010 off lands

190 ABLR 3.010"
                      208 ELD 3.045"
                      215 Hybrid 3.090"

If you plan on making it a hunting rifle, I'd go with the SA and the Wyatts magazine. With the SAAMI 300WSM free bore of 0", you could still fit a 230gr if you wanted. If you plan on doing any serious competition, you really need a dedicated competition rifle. My rig has a 30" barrel and weighs 16lbs, while it's great on the bench it's a bit unwieldy in the deer stand. Conversely, a magnum hunting setup isn't fun after extended sessions on the bench.

Comment

Short action. The 300wsm doesn't have enough powder to move the 200+ grain pills fast enough anyway IMO. Run a 180-190 on a short actionand be done!!

Detachable mag gets my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Short action. The 300wsm doesn't have enough powder to move the 200+ grain pills fast enough anyway IMO. Run a 180-190 on a short actionand be done!!

This as well as the fact that you wouldn’t be running the 300wsm in competitions. Make sure you go with 8” or faster twist on the 6.5saum.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                            This as well as the fact that you wouldn’t be running the 300wsm in competitions. Make sure you go with 8” or faster twist on the 6.5saum.

I’ve decided to go with the short action for sure. I can shoot the real heavy .30s in my 300wm and that gives me an excuse to build a dedicated hammer like a 300 Norma or a 338 Edge or Addiction. Lol! I’ve already been looking at a Defiance XR action. Lol.

Jake-

I don’t have any intention of running that 300wsm in competition, lol. It’s just for hunting. But I could see using the SAUM.

My biggest dilemma is whether to go magazine fed or internal box. I’m even more confused after talking to a “tech” guy at Berger. He claimed that even the 140 VLD and Elite hunter bullets would be too long for a short action. He said that if I don’t build it on a long action the base of the bullet will be below the neck-shoulder junction of the case; thus limiting the potential of of the SAUM Case. Of course, the same guy didn’t know there are extended boxes available for short actions. Lol. Jake, I know you’ve got a 6.5SAUM - what’s your advice? Is yours a magazine fed or internal box? Any issues shooting VLD style bullets up to 140 or the 143ELD?

Comment

What are the advantages of a shirt action over a long action?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X