No announcement yet.

Too old to castrate for processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell him and buy a younger steer to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
      Somebody seriously needs to video this process.
      Oh he!! no I could hardly read it not a chance I could watch it. My junk is hurting from the read.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        I’m going to retract my comment as I misread it. I thought you said 1-2 months... now seeing 14 months. Banding isn’t really an option. If I WERE going to ”steer” I’d still cut, and have but you run a little more risk at that size. As far as feed out, in my opinion you have missed the target feeding range enough I would concentrate my efforts and $$$ else where
        They have bands and banders for large bulls.

Comment

You have to post video if you do it!

Comment

I’m going to retract my comment as I misread it. I thought you said 1-2 months... now seeing 14 months. Banding isn’t really an option. If I WERE going to ”steer” I’d still cut, and have but you run a little more risk at that size. As far as feed out, in my opinion you have missed the target feeding range enough I would concentrate my efforts and $$$ else where
            There are bands that can fit any size bull. It’s not what you think. You put the band on and split the sack to compensate for swelling. No joke his nuts are hanging free with no sack around them.

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
              There are bands that can fit any size bull. It’s not what you think. You put the band on and split the sack to compensate for swelling. No joke his nuts are hanging free with no sack around them.
              I know

... but at that point just cut them out. It’s a beee-atch but I’ve done it

Pull hard :

Again though for his situation in what he is wanting I’d sale and start over. He would get a better product for less money (imho)

Comment

I know

... but at that point just cut them out. It’s a beee-atch but I’ve done it

Pull hard :

Again though for his situation in what he is wanting I’d sale and start over. He would get a better product for less money (imho)
                I agree with sale and start over 100%! You still need a band on a big bull. Too much risk for bleeding out. The band stops any bleeding and cutting the sack keeps them from swelling and not draining. A banded bull with a split sack will dry up in days. We’ve cut 10’s of thousands this way.

Comment

I also assumed (so could be wrong), this would be done by op vs vet. So banding tool and bands in the size needed for a one time use would be kinda pricey vs knife

Comment

I agree with sale and start over 100%! You still need a band on a big bull. Too much risk for bleeding out. The band stops any bleeding and cutting the sack keeps them from swelling and not draining. A banded bull with a split sack will dry up in days. We’ve cut 10’s of thousands this way.
                    I've done a few big bulls with a callicrate. What bander do you like best?

Comment

I too have cut literally 1000+ bulls and never lost one to bleeding. I hate bands. I cut a herd of breeder bulls last year to keep them out of circulation last year all at 1000# ... zero issues but I pray I don’t have to do it again it was a rough day. Doing 1 ... still suck

Either way I’m with you on sell and start over

Comment

Originally posted by Chubb View Post
                        I've done a few big bulls with a callicrate. What bander do you like best?
                        Callicrate is about the industry standard. I prefer them. I’ve used some other brands but prefer callicrate.

Comment

[QUOTE=Low Fence;13534905]I too have cut literally 1000+ bulls and never lost one to bleeding. I hate bands. I cut a herd of breeder bulls last year to keep them out of circulation last year all at 1000# ... zero issues but I pray I don’t have to do it again it was a rough day. Doing 1 ... still suck

I have cut plenty of big bulls also. It’s a crap shoot you’ll have a bleeder. And I make it known before I cut big bulls that it can happen. I just hate wondering what made it through the night. But as agreed sell him and get a good steer to start.

Comment

Thanks. I was happy with banding and I used the same method. Band, then split scrotum with a Newberry knife, and give meloxicam. All mine were up eating as soon as I kicked them out.

Comment

Working...
                            X