Splitting up deer lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting up deer lease

We have a small group of us getting on a 1300 acre lease, none of us have really been on a lease this size, we've all had our own small places to hunt. So my question for you guys with leases with a few guys, how do y'all decide who hunts where and split up the lease fairly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

everyone is responsible for 1-2 blinds/feeders, and has first call to hunt their blinds. all members can hunt all blind areas though in a nutshell. that way you can hunt the entire 1300 acres, and not just 200-300

Comment

I’ve always hunted with my cousin and another family friend so have never had to worry about it but the lease dad has been on they would draw on opening weekend to see who gets to pick a stand first. After that it was kind of first come first serve.

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
        We have a small group of us getting on a 1300 acre lease, none of us have really been on a lease this size, we've all had our own small places to hunt. So my question for you guys with leases with a few guys, how do y'all decide who hunts where and split up the lease fairly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
        I have seen it both ways. People have an area and set up own blinds but that really limits you. I think it would be better if everyone can hunt the entire place. This will only work if you have strict rules in place on what can be shot and also times when you are going to and from blinds. You don't want someone driving through your area late after you have been sitting.

First come first serve so to speak. Good luck hope Ya'll are still friends at the end of this!! LOL!!

Comment

Rotate stands.

Comment

We have our own blind and feeders and that is our spot. We feed protein and identify our target bucks. No one else hunts our individual spots unless the person who operates the spot invites another member to do so. Members take pride in their spot and do all they can to make it more attractive and productive. This means more protein, corn, and mineral which helps the entire place. If you just swapped around I could see that allowing a few to be lazy and cheap and trying to ride he coattails of those who are putting in more effort. Just my thoughts.... Works great for us.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
              Rotate stands.
              Designated stands that individuals maintain and then a couple of community stands for a change of scenery. The person who found the lease should get first choice on location and then draw spots from there.

Comment

We allow 2 feeder/blinds per hunter. We draw numbers to see who gets first,second, third choice of stand #1, and then draw numbers again to see who gets first choice of second stand set up. One of the 2 blinds spots is for original spot owner, the secondary blind spot can be open for all to hunt as long as the original spot owner is not in it.
                But if you don't put feed in your feeders, don't expect to come in and hunt others feeders.
                If you want to get fancy, build a peg board system with washer rings and have hunters place a washer on the stand they are sitting for the day.
                Best advice is not to get sideways with each other and talk things out.
                Leases and deer will come and go, but good friends are hard to find.

Comment

I disagree. Give everyone the opportunity to come out on the same weekend and choose their area. Each person can do as much or as little as they wish. If Im feeding roasted soybeans and planting clover and you are planting nothing and hardly feeding why do you get to come sit in my Ranch King and hunt my spoiled animals ???? LOL
                  Im totally serious.

We have a couple of guys that fill their feeders the weekend before opening weekend...... I feed year round.

Comment

One lease I was on everyone contributed one blind and one feeder. These were distributed around the lease. There was an assessment at the start of the season to buy corn. As feeders were drained down members brought out more corn to refill the feeders. There was a board in the camp house with a pin for each blind. Each member had a tag. Before each hunt the members in camp would tag the blind they wished to hunt. If two members wanted to hunt the same blind they cut the cards to settle the issue. With the tags everyone knew where everyone else was hunting. If someone arrived in camp after others had left to hunt they could check the board to see what was available. So there were no issues with getting hunts disturbed by others. Also, if you did not return to camp when expected we knew where to start looking. This recognizes that everyone is not in camp for every hunt. So puts the available area to best use. This seemed to work well

Comment

On ours we all have roughly 100 acres. It it ours to setup and hunt as we please. It has worked well for us for a long time.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                        I disagree. Give everyone the opportunity to come out on the same weekend and choose their area. Each person can do as much or as little as they wish. If Im feeding roasted soybeans and planting clover and you are planting nothing and hardly feeding why do you get to come sit in my Ranch King and hunt my spoiled animals ???? LOL
                        Im totally serious.

We have a couple of guys that fill their feeders the weekend before opening weekend...... I feed year round.

Yep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                          We have our own blind and feeders and that is our spot. We feed protein and identify our target bucks. No one else hunts our individual spots unless the person who operates the spot invites another member to do so. Members take pride in their spot and do all they can to make it more attractive and productive. This means more protein, corn, and mineral which helps the entire place. If you just swapped around I could see that allowing a few to be lazy and cheap and trying to ride he coattails of those who are putting in more effort. Just my thoughts.... Works great for us.

This. The only difference for us is that we split protein equally between each member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                            everyone is responsible for 1-2 blinds/feeders, and has first call to hunt their blinds. all members can hunt all blind areas though in a nutshell. that way you can hunt the entire 1300 acres, and not just 200-300

This would be the ideal situation, IF you have the right group of guys to make it work!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There’s a lot of good information given. If the no corn in the feeder issues happens, then just everyone throws the money in for feed.
                              I feel like I’m an exception to most, I like going around and filling feeders. Filling feeders is a great chance to drive around and cutting up with buddies.

Comment

Working...
                              X