An east Texas safari.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An east Texas safari.

Wife and I rolled out at 5am and headed east to do some quick feeder fillin. We arrived at our place a little after daylight and proceeded to fill a couple feeders. Another job required the tractor so we were gonna drive thru the pasture to get it. As we rolled thru the gate her and I both looked down a powerline easement.

Since I didn't carry a rifle this trip, naturally there's was 3 pigs roughly 300 yards across the pasture and all I had was a glock 19 and one mag. Why not, let the stalk begin...[emoji16]

I back tracked to the other side of camp to block their view of my approach. This also put the south wind in my favor. I re entered the pasture roughly 70 yards later and realized just how high the grass was. Some of it was 5' tall! Checked the wind and eased a little closer now I'm about 100 yards from where I last saw them.

Closer....and under a pecan tree with signs of fresh rooting I peered into the easement. No pigs. Did they leave?

Close the gap a little more when the grass begins shake back and forth. What is that! ( I suddenly felt like Michael Douglass in ghost and the darkness where he gets stalked by the lions). A glimpse of something furry and the grass shaking gets closer and more violent. Then I can hear grunts. PIGS ARE CLOSE

Then I can see swine! 1,2,3 little piggies with the closer one at about 25 yards and grass shaking in several directions. I Raise my pistol and point toward moving grass but can't see. THEN black death just feet from me and I line the sites up. I figure lead enough and aim at her snout.

POW! the grass is now going nuts and pork is all over the place. Pow,bang,pow, squeal bang. Broad side shots, quartering away, quartering to and head shots.

It was a firefight!!! Luckily I had 16 rounds of hot lead at my disposal.

Once the dust settles and I can hear again I see my trusty tracking k9 Izzy leaping thru the grass.

Quick mag check and we got 5 left. Let's roll. Izz disappears into the woods in the general direction of the first target and isn't gone long before she barks. It's not the normal bark. Wife is now in tow and we run toward the malay. The k9 has located one mad sow in a dry creek bed.

We call the dog back and I'm staring down the barrel at a very unhappy hog. Pow! She took 147 grains like a champ! And ran into a bamboo thicket. Pow pow....slide lock.

Bwannna bring me your tiffany blue glock 43!!

Barking dog, grunting pig and one shot later the beast is dead. Check large game with a pistol off my list.

The pasture of elephant grass, the ditch of death and the 4 pound heavier after death pig. A true where's my camera man moment [emoji106]

Congrats

Comment

As Bill Jordan said, "In a gunfight there is no second place winner". Congrats on being the last man standing.....

Comment

heck yeah, THAT sounds fun!

Comment

When's the bbq?

Comment

Good story, congrats

Comment

so, that was 22 rounds, and one pig?

Comment

man...leave it to the po-po to break up a good hood party for no reason...

Comment

Heck yea that was a great write up, Good job man!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    When's the bbq?
                    Smoked pork loin tommarow. Grilled fish today
                    Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    so, that was 22 rounds, and one pig?

If I had the gangsta high caps for sure!!
                    Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
                    man...leave it to the po-po to break up a good hood party for no reason...
                    Lol. You've seen that sign...tresspasser will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.

And again!

🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Wife and I rolled out at 5am and headed east to do some quick feeder fillin. We arrived at our place a little after daylight and proceeded to fill a couple feeders. Another job required the tractor so we were gonna drive thru the pasture to get it. As we rolled thru the gate her and I both looked down a powerline easement.

Since I didn't carry a rifle this trip, naturally there's was 3 pigs roughly 300 yards across the pasture and all I had was a glock 19 and one mag. Why not, let the stalk begin...[emoji16]

I back tracked to the other side of camp to block their view of my approach. This also put the south wind in my favor. I re entered the pasture roughly 70 yards later and realized just how high the grass was. Some of it was 5' tall! Checked the wind and eased a little closer now I'm about 100 yards from where I last saw them.

Closer....and under a pecan tree with signs of fresh rooting I peered into the easement. No pigs. Did they leave?

Close the gap a little more when the grass begins shake back and forth. What is that! ( I suddenly felt like Michael Douglass in ghost and the darkness where he gets stalked by the lions). A glimpse of something furry and the grass shaking gets closer and more violent. Then I can hear grunts. PIGS ARE CLOSE

Then I can see swine! 1,2,3 little piggies with the closer one at about 25 yards and grass shaking in several directions. I Raise my pistol and point toward moving grass but can't see. THEN black death just feet from me and I line the sites up. I figure lead enough and aim at her snout.

POW! the grass is now going nuts and pork is all over the place. Pow,bang,pow, squeal bang. Broad side shots, quartering away, quartering to and head shots.

It was a firefight!!! Luckily I had 16 rounds of hot lead at my disposal.

Once the dust settles and I can hear again I see my trusty tracking k9 Izzy leaping thru the grass.

Quick mag check and we got 5 left. Let's roll. Izz disappears into the woods in the general direction of the first target and isn't gone long before she barks. It's not the normal bark. Wife is now in tow and we run toward the malay. The k9 has located one mad sow in a dry creek bed.

We call the dog back and I'm staring down the barrel at a very unhappy hog. Pow! She took 147 grains like a champ! And ran into a bamboo thicket. Pow pow....slide lock.

Bwannna bring me your tiffany blue glock 43!!

Barking dog, grunting pig and one shot later the beast is dead. Check large game with a pistol off my list.

The pasture of elephant grass, the ditch of death and the 4 pound heavier after death pig. A true where's my camera man moment [emoji106]

Good job. Ever had chiggers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fun read, sounds like you had some fun! Good job Izzy, she wanted a pork chop I'd say.

Comment

Great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a party!

Comment

Great write up.. glad you had fun and got some swine!

Comment

Working...
                              X