DIY hidden door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY hidden door

Has anyone done this? I have been googling for ideas and seen the Murphy doors. Doing a remodel and I have an area for the guns/valuables. Its not fire proof but still need a hidden door or something similar.

Following. I too would like to know.

Comment

Friend of mine had a huge built in book cabinet. Had a magnetic latch and the whole thing swung in to his in home office! It was some 007 stuff

Comment

My friend has one that looks like part of the wall. It held shut with magnets. The wall is made of Magnolia wood. There are also 1" strips overlayed every 4' I think. The overlay covers the crease where the door is so the door becomes invisible.

Comment

I am planning on building a bookshelf type door also just to gain some attic access. YouTube is your friend.

Comment

I saw a new home with the kitchen pantry hidden with fake cabinet doors. Not sure why anyone would want to hide the pantry but it was cool. Saw another one that was a bookshelf that opened up into a small triangular room on the back side of the fireplace. It was cool because it was just unused space before. Both were closed using magnets.

Comment

My old house was a Jim Walters home and the owner finished out the inside with paneling everthing. No door casings, no trim. If it wasnt for the doorknob you would never know the door was there.

Hoggslayer

Comment

I’ve done it in two of my previous homes. One was a linen closet that was hinged at the top. Worked okay but really too heavy. The other was a false ceiling in s closet and a hidden latch. This house I just bought a good safe instead.

Comment

We do swinging bookcases from time to time. If you can make the door swing into the room it is easier to build and easier to hide. Swinging out is a pain.

My opinion is they aren't worth doing unless you are making it a safe room and if you are going to show it off to all of your house guest like people tend to do it is definitely pointless.

Comment

I've got a buddy who has a "safe" room. Meaning like a false room to go into in the event of a burgurly..bad spelling. It was made in his house design by the builder. He wanted a room for a gun safe, and wound up w a false room. It's really cool. It's in his master closet, he has like a hat or shoe rack on the wall and the latch is behind that. It's like a closet inside a closet.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                      I've got a buddy who has a "safe" room. Meaning like a false room to go into in the event of a burgurly..bad spelling. It was made in his house design by the builder. He wanted a room for a gun safe, and wound up w a false room. It's really cool. It's in his master closet, he has like a hat or shoe rack on the wall and the latch is behind that. It's like a closet inside a closet.
                      That's pretty cool. Is it also a storm room/safe?

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                        We do swinging bookcases from time to time. If you can make the door swing into the room it is easier to build and easier to hide. Swinging out is a pain.

My opinion is they aren't worth doing unless you are making it a safe room and if you are going to show it off to all of your house guest like people tend to do it is definitely pointless.
                        Do you have any pics of the book case setups? How are the locks set up? I like the idea of a remote lock.
                        No I will not be showing this off. I agree, pointless. I think where this is located in this room a full length mirror would be the best façade to use for the door

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                          I am planning on building a bookshelf type door also just to gain some attic access. YouTube is your friend.
                          this is what I did on my house build a couple years ago, we call it "the hole". house doesn't have an attic. found some dead space in the plan. I floored it with scraps and asked the builder to make a hole in the dormer area to it. talked to electrical and carpet guys to get a light and carpet. then had the cabinet guy make a short bookshelf on casters to almost exactly match the opening. roll the bookcase into and out of the hole to access. have to stoop to get in but can stand in places once inside. bookshelf is full of books and rolls easily.

I only keep Christmas crap in there now, but now none of ya'll are invited over. now that you know where my hole is.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                            Do you have any pics of the book case setups? How are the locks set up? I like the idea of a remote lock.
                            No I will not be showing this off. I agree, pointless. I think where this is located in this room a full length mirror would be the best façade to use for the door
                            I do not. We don't advertise that we do them. My guy that builds them here would love it if we did because he likes working on that stuff but the value just isn't there for us. We just do them to keep our contractors happy. I actually have one in front of me that I am about to draw.

If you are going to put a mirror on it our system probably wouldn't work well for you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                              I do not. We don't advertise that we do them. My guy that builds them here would love it if we did because he likes working on that stuff but the value just isn't there for us. We just do them to keep our contractors happy. I actually have one in front of me that I am about to draw.

If you are going to put a mirror on it our system probably wouldn't work well for you anyway.
                              PM sent

Comment

Working...
                              X