Flooded House Rebuild Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taterjrs View Post
    John. This is Thunder. Call me tomorrow. Mom's house flooded in April and had to deal with it. Just finished it and here we are at it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Thunder, did you bring Lightning with you?

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. If it comes down to it, I'll give you a call and pick your brain some more.

Comment

Flood insurance is different then rising water insurance. As of now this is a Cat 3 storm as far as ins damage. That means mold mediation and that also means generally if they do cover the damage it's for a max of $250k. If your home if valued higher then $250k good luck getting it covered enough to rebuild. Thats all total. Cars, valuables, home, food et al. There is NOT any way that ever single home has black mold now. It only takes 48 hrs for black mold to generate. That can't be removed with lot's of big fans. The other thing is this, lets say you decide to stay in the neighborhood and just repair and all ten other house get new replacement homes, how easy will your house sell in a few years? There are lots and lots of things to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
        Flood insurance is different then rising water insurance. As of now this is a Cat 3 storm as far as ins damage. That means mold mediation and that also means generally if they do cover the damage it's for a max of $250k. If your home if valued higher then $250k good luck getting it covered enough to rebuild. Thats all total. Cars, valuables, home, food et al. There is NOT any way that ever single home has black mold now. It only takes 48 hrs for black mold to generate. That can't be removed with lot's of big fans. The other thing is this, lets say you decide to stay in the neighborhood and just repair and all ten other house get new replacement homes, how easy will your house sell in a few years? There are lots and lots of things to think about.
        Can a house be "totaled" and covered by insurance to tear down and rebuild? After seeing so many house with water up to their ceilings it made me curious if the insurance payout would justify the cost to tear down and rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          you need to treat for black mold otherwise that stuff will kill you if not treated properly

not trying to scare you, just being serious from my past experience with major house flooding

if you have insurance, let the professionals come in .... Serve Pro, Service Master, etc...

before you begin tearing / ripping things out, take hundreds of pictures (video) to document, document, document

My parents went through this last year. I can not stress enough to take multiple pictures of everything and from multiple angles. Pm me for any questions.

Comment

My parents got about 14" of water in their house. Headed down tomorrow to start the cleanup. Claim has been filed with FEMA but they said they couldn't advise on what to do until we talked to our adjuster.

We plan to for sure take out all carpet after pictures are taken as soon as we arrive. Just curious if we can cut Sheetrock out up to 2ft before we talk to the adjuster. Want to try to minimize mold risk as much as possible. Anyone know if we should do this or just wait?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              My parents got about 14" of water in their house. Headed down tomorrow to start the cleanup. Claim has been filed with FEMA but they said they couldn't advise on what to do until we talked to our adjuster.

We plan to for sure take out all carpet after pictures are taken as soon as we arrive. Just curious if we can cut Sheetrock out up to 2ft before we talk to the adjuster. Want to try to minimize mold risk as much as possible. Anyone know if we should do this or just wait?

I went to help clear out houses today. People are taking pictures before they start work on the carpet, then as they move into closets, cabinets, etc taking more pictures. The family I worked with was saving all documentation, taking pictures of the things they were throwing away and organizing the things they were keeping. We worked to their preference but they did not wait to start tearing it out. They were pulling carpet and have a crew coming in tmw to pull the sheetrock. They weren't waiting for an adjuster but were being very meticulous with photos and documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                If you have flood insurance....

Your flood adjuster is the one to ask -- I've spent all day today on this, and half the day tomorrow, so don't expect to get all your answers here.

Don't throw anything away.
                You can remove drywall and insulation.
                The current mitigation (dry out) rate is .52 per square foot....know before you hire someone.

I could literally type all night and still not tell you everything.

IF you don't have flood insurance, there may be some assistance available from FEMA.

Good luck.

Most of what I see online says water mitigation companies charge an average of $4.50 a sqft for level 2 (gray water) mitigation. Are you saying the insurance reimbursement is only $.52?

Comment

Flooded House Rebuild Process

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Our insurance instructed us to cut from 4ft down when we flooded last year, even though only about 6 inches of water was in the house. This is actually much easier for destruction and construction. Cutting Sheetrock standing up is much easier than on your knees at 2 feet. Also, Sheetrock is in 4ft wide sheets so when it comes replacement time, no cutting is needed. just slap a new sheet on. I was ripping out carpet all day yesterday with family, but she didn't have flood insurance so We didn't ask questions on when we could do it.

Comment

You don't have to wait for an insurance company response. Take your pictures and then get the wet materials out of the home.

Cut the s/r above the visible wet paper line. Remove the carpet, pad, wood flooring, s/r, baseboard, and insulation. Run every fan you have access to. Open up the house. Air has low humidity right now. Take advantage.

Once the frame is drying, spray with bleach and water solution. Continue with the fans.

Removing tile flooring is a personal choice. It will not support long term mold/health issues under normal/proper installations on concrete. If it's installed on a plywood base floor, it needs to come up as well.
                    Last edited by tigerscowboy; 08-31-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, here is a really good link that might answer some questions that you might have. All insurance companies and restorative drying companies follow the guidelines of the IICRC.

I know a lot of people have been told to wait until the adjuster gets there, but please get the saturated material out of your house. Especially carpets, laminate floors, clothing's, furniture that is holding water.

Start knocking holes in the drywall every 16" (between the studs) to allow air in the wall cavity to assist with drying from the inside.

Your insurance policy likely says that you have a duty to mitigate and additional damage and getting wet material out. Save receipts and take photos.

Comment

Working...
                      X