Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought an air-rifle - Hadn't owned one in a long time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought an air-rifle - Hadn't owned one in a long time.

Bass Pro Shops had a Daisy 1101WS Air Rifle - 177 Cal Pellets, Wood Stock, with scope - on sale for Fathers Day for $50.

By the time I got there, they were sold out. Don't know how many they had, but they didn't last long.

Cabelas had the same rifle sitting on the shelf the next day, not on sale. But since they are owned by Bass Pro Shops now.... I asked if they would match the sale. "Absolutely" was the answer.

This thing is heavy for a pellet gun. Not complaining - just commenting that it is heavier than i expected. Also a lot more powerful than I'm used to in a pellet gun. I haven't chrono'd the exact speed, but they claim 1100 fps. I was only testing it at 10 yards, but I put the first two pellets completely through an airgun box target, 3 cardboard shipping boxes, and into a piece of wood before I realized it was blowing through all the cardboard.

Neat little rifle for $50. I've never owned a break-barrel spring-piston air rifle before. Kinda neat!

All the best,
    Glenn

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
    Bass Pro Shops had a Daisy 1101WS Air Rifle - 177 Cal Pellets, Wood Stock, with scope - on sale for Fathers Day for $50.

By the time I got there, they were sold out. Don't know how many they had, but they didn't last long.

Cabelas had the same rifle sitting on the shelf the next day, not on sale. But since they are owned by Bass Pro Shops now.... I asked if they would match the sale. "Absolutely" was the answer.

This thing is heavy for a pellet gun. Not complaining - just commenting that it is heavier than i expected. Also a lot more powerful than I'm used to in a pellet gun. I haven't chrono'd the exact speed, but they claim 1100 fps. I was only testing it at 10 yards, but I put the first two pellets completely through an airgun box target, 3 cardboard shipping boxes, and into a piece of wood before I realized it was blowing through all the cardboard.

Neat little rifle for $50. I've never owned a break-barrel spring-piston air rifle before. Kinda neat!

All the best,
    Glenn
    They are fun, I caught one on sale at Dicks around Christmas and like you, didn’t realize how powerful they are.

Comment

Buddy of mine was having squirrel problems and bought a gammo and brought it out to the lease and that thing was impressive for a break barrel for sure. I have been tossing around the idea of having one for fun or one of the ones you pre charge with air but havent pulled the trigger on coughing up the coin yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They can be amazingly accurate. I see yours came with a scope, if you want to change to a better/different scope, you'll need to stay with one that is made specifically for air guns - Gamo makes some decent ones that are decently priced. With the right pellets, it's no trick to put pellets through the same hole at 10 meters. Whatever you do, don't dry fire the thing. You can cause serious/permanent damage by doing so.

Have fun, you got a great deal on yours.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
          They can be amazingly accurate. I see yours came with a scope, if you want to change to a better/different scope, you'll need to stay with one that is made specifically for air guns - Gamo makes some decent ones that are decently priced. With the right pellets, it's no trick to put pellets through the same hole at 10 meters. Whatever you do, don't dry fire the thing. You can cause serious/permanent damage by doing so.

Have fun, you got a great deal on yours.

Regards,

Dave
          Thanks for the advice Dave. I had heard something similar to that a while back (have to use a scope designed for an air rifle), but I didn't own one at the time, so I didn't look into it. I'm actually enjoying using the regular sights for a change. It's close distance, and for some reason, I can see these just fine. Maybe it's because of where they are located on the barrel (rear sight is about middle of the rifle, vice all the way to the back of the receiver) - but I can get a good proper sight picture just fine with these. I haven't been able to do that with my centerfire / rimfire rifles for many years. Of course, I'm shooting at much longer distances with those too. That may be the case if I try to use these sights at a longer distance. Keeping the scope off it for the time being. That may change later.

All the best,
          Glenn

Comment

had a beman 22 cal break barrel,, that one was stupid accurate with the heavy pellets,, holding about1.5" at 75 yards,,, the light pellets would only do about 6" at 50 yards ( had fun trying to hit turtles in the pond)

Comment

Own several pcp and break barrel. They are addictive. Own .177cal up to .45cal.
              Just a few

Comment

How is that Air Force? I've looked at them for years.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                  How is that Air Force? I've looked at them for years.
                  It’s my newest one. I will hopefully have it scoped this weekend and start sighting it in.

Comment

I keep looking at these but my 22 marlin bolt action with angulia rounds is super quite and will thump the tree rats how much harder do these hit ??

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                      It’s my newest one. I will hopefully have it scoped this weekend and start sighting it in.
                      Do a report on it please!

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                        I keep looking at these but my 22 marlin bolt action with angulia rounds is super quite and will thump the tree rats how much harder do these hit ??
                        I don't know. It's not really a comparison I was doing. I was more looking at the cost vs payoff when comparing this to a .22LR. Vice "replacing" - I was just adding another piece to my collection that does a different job.

I don't know what Aguila .22 ammo you are using. But we can do a quick comparison on cost. I'm assuming you are talking about Colibri or Super Colibri rounds, since you mentioned super quiet.

Colibri is a 20 grain bullet at 420 fps
                        Super Colibri is a 20 grain bullet at 590 fps
                        Either one is about $5 for 50 rounds
                        Add the cost of your .22 Marlin bolt action.

I'm shooting .177 cal, 7.8 (Gamo website) / 8.5 (Cabelas website) grain (I threw away the card that came with them, so I'm not sure) Gamo Tomahawk Pellets at 1100 fps muzzle velocity (not measured yet)

I paid $9.99 for a pack of 750.
                        My rifle cost $50.

So for $60 plus tax, I am able to put pellets in tree rats 750 times at a pretty good velocity.
                        That's what I was exited about.

The sound of this rifle does not sound like a rifle going off. It's weird sounding. I guess it's the spring action. It's more of a "Pomft!" than a crack.

All the best,
                        Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                          Do a report on it please!
                          I will when I get a chance. I have shot some others and liked them enough to buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                            I don't know. It's not really a comparison I was doing. I was more looking at the cost vs payoff when comparing this to a .22LR. Vice "replacing" - I was just adding another piece to my collection that does a different job.

I don't know what Aguila .22 ammo you are using. But we can do a quick comparison on cost. I'm assuming you are talking about Colibri or Super Colibri rounds, since you mentioned super quiet.

Colibri is a 20 grain bullet at 420 fps
                            Super Colibri is a 20 grain bullet at 590 fps
                            Either one is about $5 for 50 rounds
                            Add the cost of your .22 Marlin bolt action.

I'm shooting .177 cal, 7.8 (Gamo website) / 8.5 (Cabelas website) grain (I threw away the card that came with them, so I'm not sure) Gamo Tomahawk Pellets at 1100 fps muzzle velocity (not measured yet)

I paid $9.99 for a pack of 750.
                            My rifle cost $50.

So for $60 plus tax, I am able to put pellets in tree rats 750 times at a pretty good velocity.
                            That's what I was exited about.

The sound of this rifle does not sound like a rifle going off. It's weird sounding. I guess it's the spring action. It's more of a "Pomft!" than a crack.

All the best,
                            Glenn
                            Glenn, you will get MUCH better accuracy out of that gun if you shoot much heavier pellets out of it. IF and it is a big IF it shoots 1100 fps, it won't be very accurate. Dibolo pellets are unstable at that velocity and especially the .177 cal. and that light weight. If you use something like these H&N round nose pellets, I think you'll be very satisfied with them and their accuracy. Your gun should still be lethal at 40 yards or so and a lot more accurate.

Stock up on H&N Baracuda .177 Cal, 10.65 Grains, Round Nose, 400ct at Pyramyd and get the best price for your next outdoor adventure!

This is a good link too for buying your ammo (and a lot of other stuff for air guns) too. They run a special that gives you one free tin of pellets for very 4 you buy and they ship quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Glenn, you will get MUCH better accuracy out of that gun if you shoot much heavier pellets out of it. IF and it is a big IF it shoots 1100 fps, it won't be very accurate. Dibolo pellets are unstable at that velocity and especially the .177 cal. and that light weight. If you use something like these H&N round nose pellets, I think you'll be very satisfied with them and their accuracy. Your gun should still be lethal at 40 yards or so and a lot more accurate.

Stock up on H&N Baracuda .177 Cal, 10.65 Grains, Round Nose, 400ct at Pyramyd and get the best price for your next outdoor adventure!

This is a good link too for buying your ammo (and a lot of other stuff for air guns) too. They run a special that gives you one free tin of pellets for very 4 you buy and they ship quickly.

I realize this is junk in the level you play with air guns, but I received a Ruger air hawk for Christmas one year. Would I be better with these heavier pellets as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X