Hydrilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
    Yep. Seen it happen to several lakes both private and public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's my fear.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      That's my fear.

Add a couple and see how they do. You won’t see immediate results, but they won’t clean it out.

Comment

It happened to Camp Creek(800 acres). They put in half of what TPWD recommended thinking they could add more if necessary. Wiped out the grass and everything else in the lake in about 2 years. It has been about 15 years since they first added them and we are just now getting a little something going again. They were also supposed to only live 7 years. I wouldnt believe a thing TPWD tells you about them. It will probably be another 5 years before we have good fishable grass again.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          It happened to Camp Creek(800 acres). They put in half of what TPWD recommended thinking they could add more if necessary. Wiped out the grass and everything else in the lake in about 2 years. It has been about 15 years since they first added them and we are just now getting a little something going again. They were also supposed to only live 7 years. I wouldnt believe a thing TPWD tells you about them. It will probably be another 5 years before we have good fishable grass again.

Same thing in Lake Jacksonville.

Comment

Add a couple and see how they do. You won’t see immediate results, but they won’t clean it out.

I was thinking maybe one or two

Comment

I was thinking maybe one or two

In 15 acres?

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                In 15 acres?

I can always add more.

Comment

I can always add more.

I expect you will. You have to get permits and I don’t know how that will work though. Tpwd is hit and miss on working with you on stuff like that

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                    I expect you will. You have to get permits and I don’t know how that will work though. Tpwd is hit and miss on working with you on stuff like that

I'm hoping they will.

Comment

we have a bunch of hydrilla in out 1/2 acre pond, was going to wipe it out but may keep some. in our 3 acre pond we have none was going to take some out of our 1/2 acre pond and put it in our 3 acre pond before trying to kill it. What do y'all think?

Comment

How do you get it established in the first place? We tried to bring some from Amistad and it never caught.

Comment

I just applied for a permit today for carp - I have 2 acres and hydrilla is taking it over. I will put around 8-10 in my pond - they eat the most their first 3-4 years and then get large and do not eat as much. If they control the weed then I can always shoot them with a bow. I added them to an 8 acre pond some years back and they did a good job on the weed.

In big lakes they can do damage - in a small body of water they are useful.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyCards2006 View Post
                            How do you get it established in the first place? We tried to bring some from Amistad and it never caught.
                            Never done it before plan on dumping a small portion in the pond if it catches good if not then I'am back to square 1

Comment

Lake Austin is an example of grass carp completely cleaning out a lake. I grew up on the water and I remember a time when the hydrilla stretched clear across the river; blue herons would be stalking mid river on the grass mats. They started dropping the lake every year instead of every 2. Now I work next to Mozart's and see grass carp any time I go peak in the water.

Comment

A little is good problem is it will choke out the entire pond eventually and you can have low oxygen issues in the hot summer months that lead to a fish kill, I would not recommend it.
                                Last edited by bossbowman; 05-08-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X