Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very dissapointed in what I am seeing or not seeing. I have not seen a shooter while sitting or on game cams. Hopefully something happens and I start seeng some mature deer. Everything is young so far.

Comment

PHP Code:
      <<<@!1!@>>> 
      I was fortunate enough to see and take our #1 target buck Wednesday night Hall county just outside of Lakeview. We have alot of history with this guy turns out. I dunno how to post pics though?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWayne86 View Post
        PHP Code:
        <<<@!1!@>>> 
        I was fortunate enough to see and take our #1 target buck Wednesday night Hall county just outside of Lakeview. We have alot of history with this guy turns out. I dunno how to post pics though?

Text them to me. I’ll post them.
        806 two two zero 9625

Not this Cowboy...

Comment

Here are the pics of JohnWayne86’s buck.

Rack with shed for comparison

Not this Cowboy...

Comment

Originally posted by Duzy View Post
            Here are the pics of JohnWayne86’s buck.

Rack with shed for comparison

Not this Cowboy...
            The story to go along with my buck, thank you to Duzy for posting my pictures.
            My family and I have been on a lease outside of Lakeview in Hall County for 3 seasons now. In 2015 a big giant 150”s 10 point showed up on camera often, he had a bad left eye that didn’t shine on night time camera pics. We named him Poko (short for pokoli, which is ten in Chocktaw), but nobody saw him most of the season. Christmas Eve 2015 I saw him, but couldn’t get a shot. Luckily we found his left shed it measured at 67 2/8”.
            2016 season we got more pictures of him, he ended up losing his antlers early, losing alot of weight and we thought he died.
            This season 2017 we had a big old looking deer show up with a similar left antler to Poko only his left did shine in the pics. We named this buck Nemo because of his right antler being weak. The second weekend of bow season my dad shot Nemo and he ducked the shot so the bolt went right across his shoulders.
            Wednesday evening I was able to connect with my rifle. Come to find out his left eye was cloudy and the left shed from Poko matched Nemo perfect. We found out it was the same deer all along. The game camera pics show him in 2015 and also 2017 almost the same pose and a shed comparison to him.

Comment

Great buck and a great read.
              Looks like you can see where your Dad shot him in the game can pic.
              Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Heron View Post
                Happy Thanksgiving!

Took my oldest daughter and my dad on a drive in the 6 wheeler today and came across a decent muley buck and several does. If he were a whitetail it would be a no-brainer, shoot first-measure later deer, but since he's a muley, he could get much bigger. His rack configuration looked like a whitetail as well, as opposed to forks, so I guess it's possible that he's a hybrid, if such creatures actually exist. Seems like I've read that if they do exist, they're sterile which would be another good reason to shoot this deer if the opportunity presents. The 5 does he was hanging with didn't seem to mind his presence at all, and it's still early for them to be receptive. Anyhow, will do some thinking on this one.
                Here's a link to the best summary of whitetail-mulie hybrids from the best source on the topic, Jim Heffelfinger.

Different species, even closely related ones, are normally kept from crossbreeding by geographical isolation but whitetail and mule deer are unique.

Comment

My dad has a lease outside of Memphis. They aren't seeing much at all this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                    Great buck and a great read.
                    Looks like you can see where your Dad shot him in the game can pic.
                    Congrats!
                    Yes sir and thank you. You can see the mark better in a few other pictures. He seemed to be healing well from it too.
                    Last edited by JohnWayne86; 11-25-2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                      My dad has a lease outside of Memphis. They aren't seeing much at all this year.

That’s odd, weve seen quite a bit of movement. Usually its different stands each time, but this year we have seen more rut action than years prior wven with the lack of cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWayne86 View Post
                        That’s odd, weve seen quite a bit of movement. Usually its different stands each time, but this year we have seen more rut action than years prior wven with the lack of cold weather.
                        I'm not real sure what the deal is. They have a lot of agricultural around them.

Comment

Congrats, John! Great buck.

I'm seeing good movement, just nothing mature. The last couple of days, everything went nocturnal it seems. I did have one new young 8 point show up on camera, but certainly not a shooter.

However, since it was 85 degrees yesterday, I drove up to my buddy's place in South Kansas and just scored this morning with a crossbow buck. Came in grunting at 7:15 trailing a doe and I nailed him at about 15 yards. I'll do a thread here in a second. Good luck, y'all and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                            Congrats, John! Great buck.

I'm seeing good movement, just nothing mature. The last couple of days, everything went nocturnal it seems. I did have one new young 8 point show up on camera, but certainly not a shooter.

However, since it was 85 degrees yesterday, I drove up to my buddy's place in South Kansas and just scored this morning with a crossbow buck. Came in grunting at 7:15 trailing a doe and I nailed him at about 15 yards. I'll do a thread here in a second. Good luck, y'all and be safe.
                            Still humming the Jeopardy theme...

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                              Still humming the Jeopardy theme...

Attached Files

Comment

Nice one!

Not this Cowboy...

Comment

Working...
                                X