Land opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land opportunity

Thought I'd post this on here and see if I can get some advice from the green screen. I have the opportunity to buy 13.03 acres in Dewitt county. I know it's not much however it's affordable and it has dense woods as well as large natural openings with open fields surrounded by more wooded areas. There are also several water sources near by. Question being I know it's definitely an investment opportunity but what's everyone's thoughts about hunting such a small place. Obviously it will be hard to get in and out of that property without running off whatever is there. There were also plenty of signs of wildlife when I visited the place several weeks ago. I ran into several doe while walking the property as well. The surrounding land is larger pieces of property as well as a smaller place 12 acres with a home on it.

You have to work with what you can afford.
    If you can afford more, get more.

As more folks are hunting small properties, I predict that regulations will be put in place eventually to limit hunting to a certain size place or larger.

However, I would not worry about that until it happens.

Comment

I hunt just under 18 acres and see deer nearly every hunt.
      Think about when you are in a deer stand, how much of the land are you actually hunting? Just what is in front of and around you. Big neighbors or management minded neighbors would be a plus.

Comment

Yes try working with the neighbors. If you set up a food plot or water source and manage a place for them to shelter (make some tree cuts) it will work. I know people that have done ok with ten acres.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you feel you’ve done your research on the surrounding properties and they are larger as you state I would move on it.

The one and ONLY thing I know about land.......is......they ain’t making any MORE of it! [emoji108]

Comment

I've killed close to 20 deer on a one acre section of a 15 acre tract. Feed them and they will come

Good luck!

Comment

Two mature bucks. Several legal

Comment

If sounds like you need to buy it with the mindset that its an investment and not a trophy buck property. I have 11 ac. that backs up to 400 that is not hunted. I don't see big bucks on my place but its a place to sit and enjoy when i can't make it to the lease. It is already worth more than i paid for it 3 years ago.
                Also, i loaded pic's for someone on here a few years ago ( can't remember who it was now)
                I believe i loaded 3 or 4 pics for him, all of huge bucks he shot off of 10 ac i believe. So, good bucks on small properties is not undoable

Comment

Buy it, make a few improvements and flip it for a profit

Buy a bigger place and do the same

Eventually you get a place big enough to hunt on

Comment

Ive killed some good deer on 35 acres and my kid killed a mid 120s 8 point this year on 12 acres in the Austin area. We have a 10 point that pushes 130-135 on the same 12 acres. I hunted 1400 acres in Kendellia and the biggest whitetail killed off it for the 5 years I was there was a 131. If it makes you happy buy it and give it a try. You can usually get what you paid out of land.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I sure appreciate the help!

Comment

Where at in Dewitt co ? I’ve been in the area on and off my whole life .

Comment

Off of FM 1447 and Benbow Rd about 12 miles give or take outside of Cuero.

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                            Where at in Dewitt co ? I’ve been in the area on and off my whole life .
                            Are you familiar with that area?

Comment

Originally posted by CoachS View Post
                              Are you familiar with that area?
                              Yes sir I am . I live in Yoakum , nice country back off 1447 for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X