Taking up the cotton seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking up the cotton seed

This year was my first time dealing with cotton seed, we had some nice bucks on camera coming to it but next week we are taking the cotton seed out. I was wonder how everyone else does it and what y'all do with the left overs, we have 13 feeders set out and most of them have some still in them.

Why not just feed it out until gone?

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
      Why not just feed it out until gone?
      I've been told by the biologist of the ranch that if the deer are on it for to long they can become sterile

Comment

Originally posted by mudjeremy View Post
        I've been told by the biologist of the ranch that if the deer are on it for to long they can become sterile
        I don't know what would cause that in cotton seed. Interesting. I have never fed it

Comment

I'm FAAAARRRRR from an expert but I've heard of this before and also read that it's complete bunk.

Just what I've heard.

If I really believed it would cause them to become sterile I wouldn't put out a bit of it. Plus if they ate it that would be natures way of eliminating the stupid deer from the herd.

Good luck to ya.

Comment

Wrong ! Leave it out

Comment

I'm pretty sure their cottonseed intake has to make up a large % of their diet to make them sterile. Most deer wont eat enouh in the wild to cause a problem. It is my understanding there are a lot of big ranches in South Texas that feed it year round with no problem. I would leave it till they were empty if it were me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                I'm FAAAARRRRR from an expert but I've heard of this before and also read that it's complete bunk.

Just what I've heard.

If I really believed it would cause them to become sterile I wouldn't put out a bit of it. Plus if they ate it that would be natures way of eliminating the stupid deer from the herd.

Good luck to ya.
                Only if cottonseed was their main diet.

Comment

Originally posted by gargetter View Post
                  Only if cottonseed was their main diet.
                  Exactly, which it is not, leave it out!

Comment

If it was my ranch I would leave it since everyone is saying the same thing, but I just work on the ranch and if the manager says we are taking it up I guess that's what's gonna happen

Comment

JUST FYI:

I too have heard that Cotton Seed does cause temporary sterilization. Usually, the bucks are fine to reproduce if you stop feeding cotton seed around the first of Sept. I was told by two separate biologists that you should start feeding in late Feb - early march and cease no later than Sept 1st. If you're starting now, you've missed the most important time of antler growth for this season anyhow for the most part.

Comment

Has to be main diet source to negatively effect them. Our mule deer eat very little cottonseed in summer months, but really get after it from Nov to March. They will eat it before green hay or pellets even. Going on 7 years.

Comment

We start ours on it early at our place.....
                          Attached Files

Comment

Fired.
                            The studies done werent exactly scientific.. and were on pen deer.
                            Last edited by systemnt; 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Just does not make sense to me. What is it the cotton seed that would cause them to be sterile? Why is it ok to feed it some of the year and not the rest? Someone enlighten me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X