Draw question and bow maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw question and bow maintenance

I have had my bow for two years, and now that I have been shooting a lot more lately, I just noticed my bow making a small creaking noise on the drawback. I'm way too new to this to diagnose. Sounds like the cam, or maybe a cable slipping? Any thoughts?

Also, what is some basic maintenance that I need to perform on bow, strings, etc.?

What bow are you shooting? I'm willing to bet it's a Mathews...

Wax your strings but don't wax the serving. Probably after every 50 shots or so. After applying the wax, use a piece of leather to rub the wax into the string.

Make sure that all the screws are tight and stay tight.

Comment

PSE Brute

It's two years old, but it was a Cabelas setup, so I just want to make sure everything else is ok. I had one screw loose and I tightened it. It was fine for another 30+ shots, then started up again. This time no screw loose.

Comment

Silicone your cable slide

Comment

Mine made a small crack noise every once in a while during the draw, The tech took it back and said he greased the limb pocket, Hasnt made a sound since. PSE Stinger.

Comment

This may also be a stupid question (it is), but do I rub the wax on the string that is threaded through the cam?

Comment

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
              PSE Brute

It's two years old, but it was a Cabelas setup, so I just want to make sure everything else is ok. I had one screw loose and I tightened it. It was fine for another 30+ shots, then started up again. This time no screw loose.
              Is your draw weight maxed out? If so, back the limb bolts out about 1/4 a turn each. Make SURE to keep the amount of turn the same on both bolts.

Comment

This may also be a stupid question (it is), but do I rub the wax on the string that is threaded through the cam?
                No, it's wrapped with serving so no wax is needed. Only wax the bare string.

Comment

could be where the yoke bushing is rubbing the limb. take them off and lightly sand them, then lubricate and reassemble.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                    Is your draw weight maxed out? If so, back the limb bolts out about 1/4 a turn each. Make SURE to keep the amount of turn the same on both bolts.
                    Man, beginner mistake, but I honestly do not remember what my draw weight is nor what the draw length is on the bow. I have to travel down to Latexo for an interview on Tuesday, so I plan on stopping at Redneck Booda and getting them to tune it up and give it a good look over. I have also needed a new dozen arrows, but I can't until I know draw weight and draw length. When I bought the setup a couple of years ago, I didn't think I would be this serious. Another mistake.

Comment

Man, beginner mistake, but I honestly do not remember what my draw weight is nor what the draw length is on the bow. I have to travel down to Latexo for an interview on Tuesday, so I plan on stopping at Redneck Booda and getting them to tune it up and give it a good look over. I have also needed a new dozen arrows, but I can't until I know draw weight and draw length. When I bought the setup a couple of years ago, I didn't think I would be this serious. Another mistake.
                      You can look at where the limbs are inside the pockets and if they look "flat" or "flush" with the pockets, more than likely, it's maxed out.

Booda can fix you up!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted. Any other maintenance suggestions that I should be taking care of, either after the hunt or in the offseason?

Comment

After you apply the wax, Get a small peice of leather to get the wax rubbed in real good. The heat gets it into the string alot better (Or so I've been told).

Comment

Working...
                          X