No announcement yet.

Katy area Guided Goose Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one that I knew that had huntable land on the west side of Houston was Ken Jasek, but it has been 10 years since I even fooled with it. It might all be neighborhood now.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
      DU spent assloads of money in Arkansas and really stopped a lot of our birds from coming down until everything freezes and they can't get to it. Mild winters and we are screwed. Not to mention the LCRA screwing up getting water for the rice.
      Guys here say the same thing about MO, IA, etc. DU has done a ton of excellent habitat work, but I’m not sure that has affected the migration as much as changing weather and conditions on the ground.

I think what really holds birds are rest areas, which our state agency, DU, and many private land owners have hopped on board with in the last few decades. In my opinion, they’re crucial for both the ducks and good hunting. There’s a good rest area about 20 miles from my house (only few miles from where I duck hunt) that stayed open during the cold snap we had last year. There were no heat pumps or mythological DU devices involved, just 60,000+ ducks keeping it open... Hundreds of thousands of ducks use the rest area and imprint on it every year.

As far as the geese go, I think they’re less affected by weather since they dry feed. They just go where the food is and that is here (for now).

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
        Guys here say the same thing about MO, IA, etc. DU has done a ton of excellent habitat work, but I’m not sure that has affected the migration as much as changing weather and conditions on the ground.

I think what really holds birds are rest areas, which our state agency, DU, and many private land owners have hopped on board with in the last few decades. In my opinion, they’re crucial for both the ducks and good hunting. There’s a good rest area about 20 miles from my house (only few miles from where I duck hunt) that stayed open during the cold snap we had last year. There were no heat pumps or mythological DU devices involved, just 60,000+ ducks keeping it open... Hundreds of thousands of ducks use the rest area and imprint on it every year.

As far as the geese go, I think they’re less affected by weather since they dry feed. They just go where the food is and that is here (for now).
        That is exactly what I am talking about. They get comfortable up there and they don't leave the food source until they have to.

Don't get me wrong. I am employeed by DU and am a huge supporter. They do a ton of good work and 82% of dollars raised go straight into the ground.

It may be a coincidence that they flights seemed to change when they started spending a lot of $ in those stopping and resting areas.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
          That is exactly what I am talking about. They get comfortable up there and they don't leave the food source until they have to.

Don't get me wrong. I am employeed by DU and am a huge supporter. They do a ton of good work and 82% of dollars raised go straight into the ground.

It may be a coincidence that they flights seemed to change when they started spending a lot of $ in those stopping and resting areas.
          It would be an interesting study if we had all of the numbers to see how things have changed over time. I think our migration has been pushed back a week or two, here. My management opinions would be very unpopular, but I don’t think people should be hunting past 10 & I wish they’d shorten the season (a little).

Very cool that you work with DU, I bet you and I could talk for days about stuff like this!

Comment

Look up 2W Outfitters we hunt eagle lake and Stuttgart Arkansas. If you have questions you can message me as well

Comment

Working...
            X