Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black powder recommendations for an Elk hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black powder recommendations for an Elk hunt?

Guys I have no clue about black powder and need some help deciding what kind to buy. Any help is greatly appreciated! I guess budget would be around 1k but can go up if needed.
    Thanks

I have a CVA Optima V2 and it has been great so far. Can get a nice scope and all your loading and cleaning supplies under 1k.
    Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by TKP1991 View Post
      I have a CVA Optima V2 and it has been great so far. Can get a nice scope and all your loading and cleaning supplies under 1k.
      Tyler
      What he said. Get the stainless/thumbhole stock version and a BH209 breech plug. I've got some good friends that run an archery/muzzleloader shop and they were able to get sub 1" groups pretty easily shooting Blackhorn 209 and measuring by weight shooting Parker Ballistic Extremes.

I haven't really worked up a load for mine, but I was able to get around 1.5-2" will plain ol' Pydrodex and several different bullet types. I've bought the BH209 plug for mine but haven't shot any BH209 yet. That's going to be my off-season project. Only complaint I have is the scope mount that comes with the gun...and it's more of a scope complaint I guess. I've got a 2-7x33 Crossfire on mine and I barely have the eye relief I need at 6-7x. I just don't have enough adjustability with that short tube and the length between rings.

Comment

Looks like a 50 caliber is minimum with a slug/sabot and 54 if using round ball.

All projectiles must be 210 grains or more.

Comment

50 cal Is likely the recommended caliber per the state you’re hunting in or the outfitter

If you’re hunting in Colorado check out their restrictions such as no scopes with magnification or sabots with your bullet

I shoot the Thompson Center muzzleloaders and they are very accurate. My Hawken can shoot very accurately at 100 yards open sites & my Omega in-line out to 200-250 with minimal practice.

Most newer MZ’s shoot two 50 grain powder pellets & a 209 shotgun primer.
          I shoot about 80 grains of loose powder & #11 percussion caps in my Hawken

MZ’s are fun, enjoy the process

Comment

It is for New Mexico. What is the longest range I can get out of a set up?

Comment

I have a CVA Optima V2 and with Blackhorn powder and good 209 shotgun primers shooting 250gn Barnes 200yds is doable 150 no problem. Again that is with Blackhorn 209 powder.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                It is for New Mexico. What is the longest range I can get out of a set up?

Totally depends on your budget. For the $1k budget you should be able to get a 400+ yard gun if that price doesn’t include scope.

I’d go with a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. Switch out the plug to run Blackhorn 209 and start working up loads just like you would for a rifle. That’s the incredibly simple and short version.

Comment

Muzzleloader Rifles

Here is a good YouTube video to give you an idea of CVA's capabilities -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cD9Nc0zwOw&t=45s"]YouTube[/ame]

Here is a site that I've made purchases from and have been pleased -

Shop the Worlds Largest Online Selection of Black Powder Muzzleloaders & Supplies! CVA, Traditions, Thompson/Center, Knight & More! Best Prices. Fast Shipping. Expert Advice!

I own the CVA Wolf but considering adding an Optima for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                    Totally depends on your budget. For the $1k budget you should be able to get a 400+ yard gun if that price doesn’t include scope.

I’d go with a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. Switch out the plug to run Blackhorn 209 and start working up loads just like you would for a rifle. That’s the incredibly simple and short version.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for all the information guys! Just needed some place to start because I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                        Thanks for all the information guys! Just needed some place to start because I know nothing.

Been in your shoes. Never had any desire to hunt black powder until I was “forced” into for a mule deer hunt. It was in Colorado. I don’t like their rules/laws but I enjoyed the process. Then I started looking into dates and realized that there are some spectacularly good dates for muzzleloader elk hunts.

I started with a nice gun but this last year I fell into a deal on a highly modified / custom Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. It’s legit.

Comment

Get a 58 caliber October Country rifle (they are NICE) and load it with some Swiss (real black powder) 2F. 58 caliber ball makes I nice big hole. Buddy of mine shot an elk at 187 yards with a 58 caliber round ball.
                          Last edited by UltraMax; 12-28-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Make sure u get one that can used a 209 primer system and not regular percussion cap. You get the ability to use 777 pellets, etc. Which requires hotter ignition.

Comment

Thomas I have the same ML as post #9 with a nikon 3.5x14-40 that you can see if its something that you want to use. I've shot it to 138 yrds but haven't really seen its capabilities. You're more than welcome to use it. I'm shooting 240 grain 44 cal sabots over 2 50 grain pellets

Comment

Working...
                              X