Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bittersweet day

Well..
    For the first time since the mid1970's I'm leaseless. Today we moved off of our hill country deer lease. My father started hunting in the hill country in 1949 on a small ranch at the lease price of $12/year. He's hunted over 70 years in Gillespie County on only 4 ranches.
    We spent 35 years on one ranch. This is nearly unheard of today. We've spent the last eight years on a good one as well.
    As we loaded up the trucks and trailers with all our hunting blinds and feeders I couldn't help but think back over the past years we've spent on this awesome piece of Texas. My wife, daughter, and oldest son each harvested their first deer on this ranch. My wife, father in law, and myself were each fortunate enough to take our first bow kills on this place. These memories will forever be etched in our minds. My wife and oldest son were each able to harvest their first turkey on this lease over the past several years.
    Our youngest son was able to learn how to shoot his bb and pellet gun on this ranch.
    As we drove up the highway in the predawn darkness this morning to load up our gear and memories I couldn't help but think of all the good times and all of God's blessings that rode along with us.
    We've posted classified ads, made some phone calls and visited friends and local businesses to try to find a new lease. We're still anticipating the results. As for now, we'll concentrate our efforts closer to home on some family land to see if our management pays off.
    As I've mentioned before our hill country lease hunt continues.. God bless.

Good luck with the search!

Think about the good times and the good times to come!

Comment

keep your eye on the classifieds..... they will start popping up

Comment

Good luck in your search

Comment

I know what you mean leaving a place where the kids started their hunting . LOTS of memories come to mind. Good Luck on your search!

Comment

Sorry you lost your lease, good luck with your search.

Comment

Good luck in your search.......I know the feeling about losing a lease you have so much of your life on. We lost a lease that my family had been on for over 30 years when the owner died and the kids couldn't sell it fast enough. New owner tripled the lease cost, so we left.

Comment

Good luck with your search

Comment

I know that feeling, it’s a punch in gut. My family lost the best lease we’d been on for a dozen years or so. We were all ready to make our first payment in the spring, but instead we got a letter saying we’d been removed from the lease, and that we had two weeks to get 12 years worth of stuff off the lease. When we got out there, the new hunters had literally put their stands whitin yards of our stands, and already had feeders and cameras going. I will say that a few thoughts went through my head about there stuff “accidentally” getting blown over....but I was good and just got our stuff and left. Turns out, someone found out how big of bucks we were killing, and went and offered the ranch twice what we were paying. Loose lips sink ships, and good deer leases.

Comment

That's gotta be tough, you made lots of great memories. But it sounds like you appreciate how lucky you have been - the norm is probably more like my experience, averaging maybe 4-5 years before moving. I have been on 6-7 places in the more than 25 years I've been leasing. What a beating the searching/moving process is - I have run out of energy for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X