Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Photography

Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #51
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

She has a point and shoot. She took my pickup, and it was still in there from the night before.

Here's a snapshot of my brother's in-progress house construction that I took last weekend. While it's architectural in nature, I'm not sure it meets the "interest" requirement! But, in the name of participation...

Name:  IMG_0241 (Small).JPG
Views: 327
Size:  65.4 KB

Michael
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #52
Wildman
Pope & Young

Too bad you missed the dead line with that one. I am sure that is a winner!
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #53
Les
Administrator

Hunt In: Frio County

Great photos, everybody.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #54
Artemis
Four Point

Well, shucks. I missed the deadline. I had some good ones, too! LOL. Great pics everyone. I hope to get mine in for the next one. This is a great idea, by the way.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #55
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

We have a winner!

Since you all took it upon yourself to make it so hard on me, I'm going to return the favor by commenting on each and every photo before I tell you my choice for this topic......
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 02:09 AM   #56
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Very cool shot by Dustin - the youngster's got some talent! This shot was exactly what I had in mind when I chose the theme - finding the pieces and parts of a building that make it distinctive and bring out the craftsmanship involved in large structures.

Howard's shot hit on a couple of my 'cool' nerves - I really like old barns and the effects he used brought out the complexities of the framework without all the distraction that color can bring to a picture.

Bill's shot of the bricks again touches on exactly what I was thinking of -- the interesting details of a building's construction. The imperfections in masonry work that only come out upon close inspection, but that as a whole make up the final effect of what you initially see when you look at a structure.

Danny's pic I like alot because it evokes a feeling of age and as usual, Danny's eye for a cool perspective. Great colors and lighting with this shot.

Legdog's shot combines two of my favorite things - he may well be the TBH master of sunset shots, and this image (as usual) displays his talent for framing a shot and his uncanny knack for being in the right place at the right time.

HillJak's pic is another perfect example of framing a picture in a way that I like. Very nice shot!

TXpapa's picture made me stop and think about what this old building was -- it is obviously old, but it makes me think about what the structure was used for (schoolhouse, maybe??) and also what it will look like in 100 years from now.

Koons black and white shot is another shot that in my opinion, is very well done. Nice framing and interesting subject matter.

Shane -- awesome colors, cool perspective and great composition.

Don - as usual, kick-asp shot, you can clearly see that this guy is used to taking pictures that folks are willing to pay for! Nice subject, nice framing, great colors. It has it all.

Rob - I like this shot a lot! I'm a sucker for old school -- thick walls, stucco, neutral shades, curved molding - cool lighting and great composition!

Arlington BowHunter - with this shot, even though it's out for this month, I expect more great shots in the future.

Deer716 - great combination of all kinds of architectural elements - I spent a long time looking at this shot and kept finding new things to look at.

Bluesman - the side lighting on this shot IMO makes it what it is -- very cool image - I also like the rule of third's and try to remember that this is one of the things I personally like when I see a shot like this.

Kevin - yet another great shot from your London series - it really captures the awesome size of the Eye - cool sky and very nice framing of the shot

Cotton's shot makes me wonder who this artist is posing as just another redneck I like the halo effect and the great perspective - did you actually get on the ground or did one of those hounds snap the shutter for you? really nice perspective and framing.

Barb - I knew Barb was an artist, just didn't know she was also a great photog'er -- the hubby shoots a fence, she brings the whole city!! I like the angle of this shot - bridges are such cool subjects....

Prosser - great shot and color - most people try to avoid having power lines in their shot, but you actually made it work!

Gold - again, I really like bridges and I've never seen this one before. the colors are amazing and the structure is impressive. Yet another great shot!

TommyH - this image is one I kept coming back to -- makes me think about all the labor involved to build this structure and how it's now just sitting as nature tries to take back over. Nice colors in this one.

bowhuntertex -- great old stone structure - makes me think I need to spend some more time in the hills with my camera - there are treasures like this all over the place down there --

cfortner - another cool bridge shot - who told you guys I like bridges? I want to know more about the lens....it has a neat effect on the shot.

Casey - it's all blurry JK - I really like this image - can't really say why - maybe I just like bokeh, or maybe I just like using fancy photography terms

Court - love the colors and the subject here! Intriguing....(and great quote BTW) is this what that BULB setting is for on my camera? I'll have to try that out.....

Convert - cool shot - and great expansion of the theme - these nests have always grabbed my attention.

Michael's shot should have won, (just simply in the interest of self-preservation) unfortunately it was submitted too late.....
Old 05-17-2008, 02:18 AM   #57
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

So, without further delay -- I basically started by just choosing shots that I would hang on my walls - there were many.......

My non-professional, yeah-I-just-got-lucky-last-month, choice for this theme is .........

Congrats, Shane!!

(sorry I couldn't figure out how to paste it, so I uploaded it to my photobucket account)

Thanks for all the great shots and the opportunity to to do this!
Old 05-17-2008, 02:33 AM   #58
doncom
Ten Point

Congratulations Shane and great choice Rob.

You could have done it in TWO WORDS: Shane Wins.

What's the next topic? This is fun!
doncom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #59
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Two words??

Surely you jest.......
Old 05-17-2008, 02:37 AM   #60
Death Whisper
Administrator

Hunt In: Jack County

Casey said you'd pick the phallic symbol...

Death Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #61
cfortner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voss

Congrats Shane! Good work Atfulldraw.
cfortner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #62
Bill M
Pope & Young

Congrats Shane, nice shot.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #63
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Only Public Land :)

Quote:

LOL. Great Pic Shane!
mesquitecountry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #64
Wildman
Pope & Young

Congrats Shane! I was impressed with this picture as well. It is a photo that I am trying to master at present. The last fading light and the ability to keep a large focal area and deep depth of field (small aperture) in such a late picture is a tough shot.

The only other thing that could have made this picture better would have been a sliver quarter moon in the frame.

Congrats again Shane. Now, tell us your set up and settings on this so I can practice the shot. AND WAKE UP AND GIVE US OUR NEXT TOPIC!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #65
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Congrats Shane. That is a great pic. Next topic please.....now that I have my camera!!!
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #66
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Congrats Shane . i like how the one cloud looks like a candle flame
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #67
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Whisper View Post
That's hilarious!

Congrats, Shane! Nice job, Rod!
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #68
Michael
Administrator

I stayed up til 1:00 waiting for you to post the winner, and you post it at 1:09. The anticipation has been killing me! We should have a fine in place for anybody that posts the winner the day AFTER the deadline. If my awesome photo was penalized for being posted a day late, then the judge shouldn't skate for being equally late with a decision!

Congratulations, Shane! That is an awesome shot. The lighting, subject, composition, whispy clouds and sunset all make this a great photo. You obviously put time and thought into this to be at the right place at the right time. Very nice.

There were some extremely impressive photos for this topic. Kevin, Courtney, Steven, Koons and TxPapa all had shots that just blow me away (not to offend any others that are oustanding) and could have easily been a winner of any contest. We have some talented photographers here, for sure.

My personal favorite was Danny's. I'd expect to see a shot like that in a gallery, somewhere.

Again, congratulations to Shane, and kudos to everybody that submitted a photo. Thanks to Rod for taking the time to comment on every photo.

I'm looking forward to Shane's next theme!

Michael
Old 05-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #69
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

Way to go Shane!
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #70
Wildman
Pope & Young

Michael, my favorite was yours (even though late) I love the effect of how you captured a view of a "future" element of imagination of the driveway connecting to the garage opening.

And funny you mention "gallery" because Stacie sent off that photo to have it put on canvas in a oil paint print.

CAT HERDING COMMENT

Oh, on a side note, get some dirt on that slab to keep anymore undermining from occurring and also, make sure that your flat work dudes drill and epoxy 3/4" rebar and tie 1/2 mat into that slab before you pour that driveway. That soil is not stable enough to keep that drive from "sinking" against your existing slab.

Last edited by Wildman; 05-17-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #71
Gold
Eight Point

Congrats Shane!

I enjoyed looking at ALL the photo's! There are some really creative folks with a great "eye" on TBH....
Gold is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #72
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Frio, Blanco Counties

A deserving selection!! Way to go Shane and everyone else.

I suggest everyone continue to contribute regardless of how you think your image might fare. Participation is key (Middleton).

This is a great addition to the forum. What's the next theme?
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #73
huntinpool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon, The Matador (when drawn)

Congrats to Shane!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a very good photo. Thanks also to Rod, an impressive review on every photo. I really appreciate to time and energy you spent on them. This was a great contest. Waiting for a subject on the next.
huntinpool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #74
Deer716
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval, McMullen & Goliad

Congrats Shane!! Good job on picking Rod, there were alot of great pics to choose from.
Deer716 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #75
Jaspro
Pope & Young

Congrats Shane!

Couldn't agree more with your pic Rod. Shane's and Danny's were my top 2 also.
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #76
Michael
Administrator

We're burning up the weekend here, Shane, we need a topic!

Michael
Old 05-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #77
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

Great thread. Awesome pics from all participants, congratulations Shane!

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #78
cfortner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post

cfortner - another cool bridge shot - who told you guys I like bridges? I want to know more about the lens....it has a neat effect on the shot.
It's one of the cheap wide angle lenses that I had screwed into my Nikkor 18-55 ED. When all the way in at 18mm the focus doesn't clear the lense
cfortner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #79
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Wow! Thanks Rod and everyone else for all the nice comments! There were a BUNCH of really great photos here. I think Rod fipped a coin or something. Love the London pic, the rollercoaster sunset, the doorway, the ceiling, and all the others. This was a topic I probably wouldn't have thought of, but it turned out very cool.

Sorry for the delay in getting here today. I left at 6am to go to a sporting clays event fundraiser, and we're just getting home - TIRED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Whisper View Post
I didn't think about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You obviously put time and thought into this to be at the right place at the right time. Michael
Michael, actually it was a spur of the moment session that turned out to be the right moment. Baseball and work kept me too busy to get out and try to find interesting buildings. Monday evening a little before dusk I had free time, and I happened to think about Fort Phantom Hill. There were some clouds in front of the sun, but I needed some architecture anyway. As I was driving out, the sun moved lower and the clouds moved out of the way. I made a few shots of various things out there, and all of a sudden the sky just lit up. I set up on the chimney and got the shot, and a few seconds later the light changed.

Not much advanced planning, but just lucky timing.

Plus, like Casey said, participation is the key. Had it not been for this contest, I would have sat at home to relax in my rare free time. I knew that every other day and night the rest of the week was booked, so it was my only chance to get a pic for the contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Now, tell us your set up and settings on this so I can practice the shot.
Canon D-Rebel XTi, Tamron 12-24mm ultra-wide angle lens @ 12mm, f/4, 1/125 shutter, ISO 100, tripod. Shot in RAW and converted in CS3. Then I ran a slight shadow/highlight adjustment (which is a great tool for this kind of shot, I'm finding), then a little curve. Then I did a very slight dodge over the chimney and sharpened. Oh, and I cropped to 8x10 so it would view better on a monitor without being too tall and skinny.

OK...shut up, Shane, and name a topic for the next contest! I'll post a new thread for that right now....

Thanks again for the nice comments and for the pics you all posted. I am really enjoying seeing what everyone comes up with.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #80
Shane
Pope & Young

Oh yeah....here's a few others from that evening. I only got a few keepers, but Fort Phantom Hill is a cool place to visit.

Try the slideshow view after you get to the gallery page for full-screen views, if you like.

http://ShaneJennings.smugmug.com/gal...94440661_jr3Ko
Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #81
Snapper
Pope & Young

Wow! Sure glad I don't have to be the judge. Those are some fine photos for sure. Congrats to all the participants!
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #82
Koons
Six Point

Congrats Shane yours was one of my Favorites.
Koons is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #83
Misplaced Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: NY 9H/9F

Congrats Shane!
Misplaced Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #84
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Congrats Shane! That is a heckuva shot!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #85
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

congrats Shane.......chimneys standing alone are really awesome and you did a great job capturing it......
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #86
cfrazee_mo
Spike

Really great photos! Congrats to the winner!
cfrazee_mo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #87
Shane
Pope & Young

Thanks, fellas.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #88
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Wonderful photo Shane, I likey!

Well done Rod, excellent review!
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #89
Legdog
Pope & Young

just now easing back into TBH after big weekend down South...

Nice job Shane!
Legdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top