Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #51
OLIVER65
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

http://www.texasopencarry.com/forum2/
OLIVER65 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #52
WoJo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle County

Amen
WoJo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #53
trailboss
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIVER65 View Post
I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I donít carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I donít carry a gun because Iím paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I donít carry a gun because Iím evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I donít carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I donít carry a gun because Iím angry. I carry a gun so that I donít have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I donít carry a gun because my sex organs are too small. I carry a gun because I want to continue to use those sex organs for the purpose for which they were intended for a good long time to come.

I donít carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I donít carry a gun because Iím a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I donít carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I donít carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I donít carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
Couldn't all the above be accomplished with the current concealed carry regs?

Trailboss
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #54
LostHawg
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green, Texas and Polk, Arkansas

Only for those who have the class availability, time, and money to attend. The concealed carry directive takes a Constitutional Right and makes it a selective privilege. It is therefore, a violation of the Constitution.

...From my point of view.
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #55
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

I can see it now, all out ganstas would start wearing $10k custom forty's on their hips instead of all the bling-bling around their necks...

guys,
the best weapon you have against crime, is not the one on your hip, its the one between your ears. too many people think a weapon is a"cure-all" it aint. if you're not aware of your surroundings, that 45 tied around your leg is gonna get you a bullet in the back of the head.

I was here when we were passing the CCW law in texas, i know what a pain that was for us to pass, we had to get that beoitch ann richards out of office to get'r done, we had to write letters, make phone calls, threaten politicians, to get this done. if you think you're gonna get an open carry passed in texas, you're a fool wasting your effort.
Even if something liked that passed, it would have provisions for businesses to outlaw open carry on their premises, heck, the only places that would allow it would be gunshops and half of those would outlaw it. the thing about CCW is no one know you got it, and thats the way i like it.

there is no place in a civilized society for open carry. it aint gonna happen, redirect your efforts to something useful...
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #56
Lop_31
Six Point

Hunt In: SE New Mexico

You guys might be surprised but in New Mexico as long as a fella is 19 yoa, and hasn't been convicted of certain crimes (ie. No felonies, domestics, drug charges, etc...)he can openly carry a pistol most places. Not in a licensed liquor establishment (main one). But if the guy wanted to walk down the street or into K-Mart etc... that would not be illegal.

With that being said, we have have very few instances at least in the last 10 years that I have been in law enforcement when people actually do visibly carry. We also have the concealed carry permits and accept them from other states. I don't necessarily agree with this for several reasons.

First, the classes are a joke and include brief discussion on the law and some range shooting. The scary thing is that the range shooting is from a short distance and I personally know people that have passed and had no experience with shooting a pistol other than that one day at the range. To me that is just crazy. I can speak from experience that when the sh*& goes bad it is different than shooting at the range. And unless you consistently practice and train in stressful situations, you might not necessarily be a "good shooter" when it comes time. I also know several people who have just gotten online and gotten a State of Florida concealed carry permit. The State of NM recognizes these as well. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the permit out of Florida basically requires a hunters safety class out of the State you live in. This again is scary to me. I just think sometimes it may be a little too easy to get one.

No matter if one coneals carry or openly carries the decision to shoot someone is not necessarily clear cut. As much as we would all like to think that we would know when it is time, I see police officers everyday that have a hard time with "when is it time". And this is with lengthy academy and field training. Not that they will not do the right thing when it is time but the decision will always be second guessed and I think sometimes they worry about it. And I know what your thinking, I'd rather be alive and second guessed than not be alive, and I agree but unfortunatley not everyone can make good, quick, correct decisions.
Lop_31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #57
Lop_31
Six Point

I forgot to add. No matter what law is passed the bad guys will always have guns.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #58
az2tx
Pope & Young

other states have an open carry laws and it really isn't an issue. Hey it is legal to carry a big knife or an axe but how many people do you see doing it?
az2tx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #59
LostHawg
Pope & Young

Concessions such as these are why our Constitution will fail. These bring us closer and closer to a police state. (Which practically always erupt in chaos)

Last edited by LostHawg; 01-26-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #60
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Only Public Land :)

NO!

I know people that shouldnt drive a vehicle let alone carry a weapon. CHL is the best thing going in Texas.
mesquitecountry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #61
TXJon
Ten Point

Look at Vermont. No restrictions at all on OC or CC, and don't we always hear about how the streets are running with blood up there?

I think AK is about the same as Vermont. Another scary place.
TXJon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #62
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

let me pose this question to you...

WHY do you need open carry ?

and the second amendment CANNOT be part of the answer.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #63
Slingblade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper/Castell/DelRio

Just signed it Thanks I didn't know this was out there. It didn't have anything to do with criminal rights or the Mexico boarder so this didn't get any news time. I have a CHL and in the summer it's hard to carry and keep it hidden.
Slingblade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #64
Slingblade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper/Castell/DelRio

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
In my opinion, I like the concealed carry because to the bad guy you still hold the cards. If you know that someone is basically defenseless they are a much easier target. If the potential victim might be packing Joe bad guy might might get shot. If the guys that were packing had to wear the weapon in the open the choice of a victim just became easier.
This is true but just because you can carry your weapon in the open dosen't mean you have to. You can still keep it concealed if you want to.
Slingblade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #65
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I am about as big a "Gun NUt" as there is around. I enjoy my CCL and never leave home empty handed. BUT i could not support a bill that would allow folks walking around town with a six shooter in a tied down hoister. I can see no reason for it and would make my wife uncomfortable. you have to keep your ****** concealed but it is still there when you need it.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #66
TXJon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post

You're starting from the wrong end.

What reason do you have for restricting a law abiding citizen from carrying?

Why someone wants to carry, or own a long gun, or participate in any other legal activity is nobody's business but their own.
TXJon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #67
LostHawg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post

Because I shouldn't have to sneak around as if I were ashamed.

Now, answer me this.

What gives us the right to tell a person they don't have the right to self defense?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #68
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

On topic, but posted completely in jest...

Shopping in Texas

Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #69
Buff
Pope & Young

SN I laughed out loud. Thats way funny right there
Old 01-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #70
Buff
Pope & Young

There was another video on the same page that shows the difference a CCL can make in a bad situation

http://video.google.com/url?docid=49...XcFqsDzRRnhtyQ
Old 01-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #71
Jaspro
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lop_31 View Post
I forgot to add. No matter what law is passed the bad guys will always have guns.
No matter what happens I will always have guns. Does this make me one of the bad guys?
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #72
Lop_31
Six Point

Not at all. That wasn't what I meant and sure didnt want anybody on this site to take it that way. All I meant was that the "bad guys", criminals will always be prepared; therefore, we should too.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #73
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: My backyard!

Buff, that's a heck of a video the moron's made. Glad that victim had the gun.
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #74
kdc331
Ten Point

I signed, but if it were an either, or, type situation I still to keep mine concealed.
kdc331 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #75
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I'm a little curious about this statement. What good reason is there for carrying an exposed weapon? Remember, concealment means the bad guy doesn't know who has a gun and who doesn't. Exposed means he takes you out first!
Exactly!!! Oh, yes i have had my license since it started.
Quote:
In the future I will not post on these issues. I should have known better.
Just support something that is put together correctly! Bad grammar, mispelled words, etc is not something I want or feel the need to be a part of. I am a sure a high school english teacher could have proof read it before putting it on the WORLD WIDE WEB!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
Couldn't all the above be accomplished with the current concealed carry regs?
Trailboss
EXACTLY the same thought i had! Whew, i was wondering if i was missing something.
Quote:
Yep, that is and will always be the case! I never see them in Bass Pro, Carters Country or Academy around here. But I know exactly where they go to get them back at home......and it ain't your local gun shop!!!!
Quote:
Not at all. That wasn't what I meant and sure didnt want anybody on this site to take it that way. All I meant was that the "bad guys", criminals will always be prepared; therefore, we should too.
Don't worry about Jason, he just loves stirring the pot! How is that pup doing Jason?
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #76
Doublej
Four Point

Yep. I signed it. #2194
Doublej is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #77
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.
Cool

Losthawg; I'm with you. If I want to carry for personal protection a short barrel 12 gauge is tough to beat. Especially in the dark. Shuck-shuck. Pucker up.
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2008, 12:09 AM   #78
slimpickens
Six Point

Hunt In: Tom Green County, Crowell Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawg View Post

Now, answer me this.

What gives us the right to tell a person they don't have the right to self defense?
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
slimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 AM   #79
slimpickens
Six Point

Hunt In: Tom Green County, Crowell Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakelover View Post
On topic, but posted completely in jest...

Shopping in Texas

I just Fell out of my chair.
slimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2008, 01:22 AM   #80
Artemis
Four Point

I, too, worry about the "other guy" carrying a loaded weapon. I know a guy with a concealed carry permit who is bi-polar and a control freak. Very large anger management issues. It scares me half to death knowing he is armed most every place he goes. I once saw him beat his wall telephone into hundreds of pieces because an old man cut him off in a grocery store parking lot and the manager told him there was nothing he could do about it.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #81
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

Now, answer me this.

This is taking it a bit far don't you think? Sneak around with it? I am a CHL holder and still think there is no good reason to walk around with my Kimber 45 strapped on my hip for all to see.

Tell me what laws you are talking about that violate your constitutional right to own a weapon. I don't think it says anywhere that you have a right to carry it strapped on your hip anywhere you'd like.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #82
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Ill be the first to say as someone who is prohibited by my criminal background(DWI) that our concealed carry system is great the way it is. Really you cant just let anyone tote a pistol. Not to say I dont carry a sawed off in my truck cause its a long gun,
but theres laws for a reason.
Lungbustr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #83
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
I hate the fact that I have to hide my gun.
Why?

An open gun makes you a target for someone so inclined. I want mine hidden. I think there is a benefit to anyone not knowing if I am armed. There is no benefit that I can see to open carry.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #84
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Go to Wal-Mart on a Friday or Saturday night.

You will see all kinds of examples of why this is a bad idea.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #85
supertrooperl14
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE New Mexico, Robert Lee

**** Lop, strirring up the locals. Your right I think your last post just came out wrong. Jaspro, we need more good guys carrying it would help our contry become alot safer. Turds will always have guns no matter how they have to get them. I don't think I would visibly pack heat. No reason too when it is very easy to get a concealed carry permit. Don't know of one thug with a concealed permit but there could be some out there.
supertrooperl14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #86
LostHawg
Pope & Young

The 2nd Amendment gives us the right to keep and BEAR arms. Any law that disallows us from carrying our weapons, whether its a pistol, rifle, bow or knife is violating this right. Unless, of course, we forfeit that right through failure to comply with societal directives (that fall within the realm of Constitutional compliance). Of course, common sense comes to play in some cases like in an oxygen rich environment, etc, but to disallow something just because you're afraid of SEEING it, is just plain ridiculous. I enjoy seeing the different handguns. Some are real works of art! Knives too.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #87
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
The 2nd Amendment gives us the right to keep and BEAR arms. Any law that disallows us from carrying our weapons, whether its a pistol, rifle, bow or knife is violating this right. Unless, of course, we forfeit that right through failure to comply with societal directives (that fall within the realm of Constitutional compliance). Of course, common sense comes to play in some cases like in an oxygen rich environment, etc, but to disallow something just because you're afraid of SEEING it, is just plain ridiculous. I enjoy seeing the different handguns. Some are real works of art! Knives too.
The 2nd amendment was drafted to protect the citizenship from a tyrannical government, not from each other. It does not say anywhere that you have the right to openly pack heat wherever you like.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #88
LostHawg
Pope & Young

Here's the text:

Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #89
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

As a free man and with self evident truth that I have the right to defend my self, I have no problem with open carry. You conceal carry folks can still be consealed if ya want.
The nuts and the crooks already carry. All this does is let LAW ABIDING free men carry how they choose.
Signed!
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #90
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

you're drinking the Kool-Ad
Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #91
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here's the text:
I'm fully aware of the text. I still don't see where it says you have the right to carry however you want.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #92
LostHawg
Pope & Young

sotx is right.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #93
LostHawg
Pope & Young

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Mike I just can't say any more clearly than this already does. I'm sorry my posting the amendment offends you. I was just putting it there for reference, not in response to your post.

Seems the plight of the liberals and Brady's wife is a huge success!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #94
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Mike I just can't say any more clearly than this already does. I'm sorry my posting the amendment offends you. I was just putting it there for reference, not in response to your post.

Seems the plight of the liberals and Brady's wife is a huge success!
I don't take any of this stuff personally. Just like you I am voicing my opinion.

The Brady comment is a bit ridiculous though. I am just as big a flag waver of the gun rights as anyone, I have plenty of them,have a CHL and know how to use them. But I can see no justification for open carry, especially the way that document is written.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #95
rosscardiackid
Spike

Im still trying to figure out how to holster my bow and carry it. Hahaha I wont sign this due to I have seen some real yoyos with CHGL who dont know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of. Thats what scares me.
rosscardiackid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #96
Will Hunt
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I'm fully aware of the text. I still don't see where it says you have the right to carry however you want.
Since you wish to interpret the Constitution... where does it say that you do not have the right to carry however you want?

You see, that is the philosophical difference between Constitutionalists and others. How much do you interpret, tweak, discern, read into, or edit the constitution? Who should be able to edit or clarify the basis of our freedoms and why? Who has the ability to go back and decide what the founders of our very country, our government intended?

That is risky business, IMHO.

Last edited by Will Hunt; 01-28-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Will Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #97
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscardiackid View Post
Im still trying to figure out how to holster my bow and carry it. Hahaha I wont sign this due to I have seen some real yoyos with CHGL who dont know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of. Thats what scares me.
The nuts you speak of already carry. By preventing this only the LAW ABIDING citizen is denied.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #98
LostHawg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
The nuts you speak of already carry. By preventing this only the LAW ABIDING citizen is denied.
Exactly.

Permitted carry, making it illegal to carry, etc, are merely "feel good" laws. They bear very little, if at all, on the facts.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #99
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunt View Post
Since you wish to interpret the Constitution... where does it say that you do not have the right to carry however you want?

You see, that is the philosophical difference between Constitutionalists and others. How much do you interpret, tweak, discern, read into, or edit the constitution? Who should be able to edit or clarify the basis of our freedoms and why? Who has the ability to go back and decide what the founders of our very country, our government intended?

That is risky business, IMHO.
I have no desire to interpret the Constitution or Bill of Rights. I could say the same for you. Where does it say you have the right to carry arms as you see fit?

I don't necessarily have a problem with open carry. I personally wouldn't do it as I see no need or good reason to do so, but I don't necessarily have a problem with it if it were ever to be made legal. I can find no good reason or justification to openly carry.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #100
Will Hunt
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I have no desire to interpret the Constitution or Bill of Rights. I could say the same for you. Where does it say you have the right to carry arms as you see fit?

I don't necessarily have a problem with open carry. I personally wouldn't do it as I see no need or good reason to do so, but I don't necessarily have a problem with it if it were ever to be made legal. I can find no good reason or justification to openly carry.
Ahh... but you see, Mike, I am not attempting to interpret the Constitution. I am pointing out what it clearly states, nothing more or less.

I am neither adding to it by inferring more than it states, or taking from it by making my own interpretive exclusions.

You really can't say that I am doing any differently.

This is an interesting topic.
Will Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top